• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Minister Strahl; Barley GOC change approved for Aug 1 07

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you consider the increase in the value of the Canadian dollar dampening grain prices in Canada, the spread is even more than what chaff is saying. The January 2006 Canadian dollar was around the 86 cent range, now its around 94 cents, which means that Canadian commodity prices are about 9% lower than they would be if our currency was still at January values.

CWB premium.......my ***

Comment

Lets try to figure out how to tear down, some of those big cement elevators. Hence the price of barley, will then skyrocket, event though everybody and his dog are growing it this year. Yup no doubt about it, lets destroy the system and watch prices climb even higher. I'm heady just thinking about how much we will get in the future. Screw the broker, let them go broke, lets lock up the bins, let them go hungry and thirsty yeah, anarchy thats the only way to win, confusion, chaos, wreck the whole system, stop the trains on their tracks, price is bound to go up,up, way up. Bring on global warming, we'll gro some pineapples next year! Ab Ag & Barley Commiss to the rescue. Pony oats for race horses, thats the best, right Ralf?

Comment

good comments Agstar
        ADM controls the wheat milling market in Canada and is the CWB's favorite buyer in that market. With the CWB controled prices it maintains a high profit margin for them yet not not allowing the farmer any choice to increase his/hers returns. SO to say they won't re entering more of Canada's grain handling business in the future is up for debate, perhaps once we show them there is value in it they will. Choice marketing does that, opens avenues of opportunites. Apparently their relationship with AU showed no profitability on the grain handling side (they could not access all their milling wheat requirments from AU due to the CWB restictions or other growth). Due to the restictions of the CWB monoploy during their stint with AU they apparent saw no value in expansion or else they would have done something.
        Or like you are suggesting they are preparing for the evolution of the CWB to access the quality product we grow for their needs.
        Then re-enter the market, and if Newco (what ever SWP is called), is availiable then why not buy it? Called free enterprise, if farmers want to control their destiny they can.
        And they can if the CWB allows farmers to actually own part of it, in an open comercially based market environment , not a government controled monopoly.
        Lets look at farmer investment in Canadian agriculture, those farmers that had equity converted in to shares in SWP saw it drindle down to next to nothing, yet those that had shares in AU saw a return on their investment from an average of $8.00 to grow to $20.50/share.
        Am I happy I sold for $20.50? personally I wanted AU to continue, and not be bought out, but then again farmers had the choice, if they wanted to maintain a farmer owned Canadian grain company they would have.
        Yet SWP paid me $20.50 CASH, no SWP shares/cash deal, unhappy with the demise of AU, yet I got the cash, now its up to to SWP to make sure their share holders get the return they are expecting.
        Erik

Comment

Wheat is going to be the sleeper crop of 2007. Every one dropped it in their rotation in our area. OK I still have 3000 acres but hey that's just me. Now with this useless CWB in place I will loose roughly $110,000.00 for staying in the CWB zone.
          Maybe my true identity will come out later this year when I load up about 20 Super B's and Cross the 49th on a day trip.
          Chuck ain't going to put me in Jail like Ralph would have or Mr Calvert and his friend Ontario Jack.
          Simply farmers for years in Canada have been taken advantaged of by Liberals and NDP with lack of direction and policy. The Useless CWB served only the suppliers and their workers and Liberal appointee's.
          105 days till trip to USA and counting.

Comment

Typing to fast not suppliers but buyers.
            Oh Ralph and his boys get me so mad.
            But hey Dion as leader does help the day go buy a lot easier.
            What a looser.

Comment

NOW you`re a talkin` NDPfarmer.It`s time to just go out and have some REAL fun!!!!!!!105 days puts us ...when.....where...what`s the crossing.Would that be SE Sask??GOTTA LUV IT!!!

Comment

Saskfarmer3: Better watch that the Yankees don't put you in jail THIS TIME. They don't always cotton to strangers peddlin' without permission.

Comment

good link provided by alberta ag

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agc6756/$FILE/barleyprices-us&canada-feed&malt.pdf

I don't know why they had to make th IP adress so long but it shows values relative to Montana for feed and malt

- one way to see what the world is really paying
                  Burburt re: your comments what would you change about the system if market choice is off the table I can't imagine why you like it this way but you seem too.
                  In a dictatorship what would burburt do?

Comment

I bet it will only take 3 american farmers waiting in line at their elevator for these Canadian rebels who are too impatient to actually fight the battle democratically to Shut the american border down to canadian grain. Their government pays closer attention to the voices of individual farmers than ours ever will because you will be hampering on their Freedom and they invented it! And they know how to keep it...that is if you happen to travel down there on a day where the spot prices are higher than average. How come nobody ever talks about when the spot prices were lower down there?? can someone give me the the prices everyday for a year and point out how often CAN beats USA and vice versa?

Comment

Herb:
                      You talking about wheat?
                      (This thread is about barley....)

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...