• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

What's the line on a grain settlement you most often have to question?

Collapse
X
Collapse
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • ruslang
    Junior Member
    • Sep 2026
    • 2

    What's the line on a grain settlement you most often have to question?

    I'm not a farmer. I'm a developer in Winnipeg working on a tool for checking grain settlements against contracts, so I've been reading a lot of them. The usual suspects seem to be grade discounts, dockage that doesn't match the tickets, freight, and deductions nobody mentioned when the contract was signed.

    What do you run into most? And is there anything on a settlement you've stopped questioning because it's not worth the fight?

    If anyone has a recent settlement that doesn't sit right, I'm glad to go through it line by line against the contract and tell you what I find, free. Reply here or message me. No link, nothing to sign up for.
  • ColevilleH2S
    Senior Member
    • May 2007
    • 1693

    #2
    1% shrink. I call it the eff you discount.

    Comment

    • ruslang
      Junior Member
      • Sep 2026
      • 2

      #3
      That's a good one to question. On the CGC's "Producer rights at delivery" page, for deliveries to licensed primary and process elevators in western Canada, it says: "The maximum shrinkage allowance that may be made on the delivery of grain is zero." The only shrink they're supposed to take is moisture shrink when they dry tough or damp grain, using the CGC's formula.

      So a few questions. Was that 1% on dry grain? Was it a primary elevator or a crusher/processor? And is it written into your contract, or does it just show up on the settlement? If it's on dry grain with nothing in the contract, I'd ask them which rule it falls under. The CGC also takes complaints when you're not getting "the proper grade, dockage or tonnage" for a delivery.

      Happy to look at one of those settlements if you want a second pair of eyes.

      Comment

      • Reply to this Thread
      • Return to Topic List
      Working...