• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CN Strike

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CN Strike

In feb. 12 Globe and Mail.
    2800 workers on strike.
    CN made 2.1 billion profit last year.
    Previous UTU contract expired end of 06.
    UTU represents conductors and yard service workers.
    They earned average 75,000 in 06.
    25 percent of members made more than 90,000
    They want a pay increase of 4.5 percent in 07, 4.5 percent in 08, and another 4 percent in 09. Plus longer coffee breaks.
    CN wants the strike declared illegal.

I want my grain moved. The backlog I think is responsible for the wide basis levels on our grain and I am sure the strike is not helping the backlog.

Canola has dropped in value the last two days by close to 7 dollars a ton but soybeans have rallied to new highs.
    Wonder if the strike has something to do with it.

Comment

Transportation needs to be declared an essential service.

The reality is this government needs to enact a bill which within 24 hours insures service is restored.

Call your MP and send the Minister of Transport your concern.

They have had two port disruptions in their mandate and have done nothing about this. This is a problem that needs to be solved and one would expect action from the Feds.

Only they could resolve this issue once and for all.

Comment

Shows how much respect for grain movement that the UTU has. Is it really neccessary to go on a strike in order to get better wages these days. I think it is if you don't deserve a pay increase. What happened to the days when a worker got paid for what he did and for his abilities. Employers are tripping over themselves these days to get good employees. 2800 workers on strike. Wonder if enough farmers could be rounded up to replace them. I may be game for that.

Comment

With a pay cheque like was stated above I could volunteer quite easily.

Comment

Really farmers energy would have been better spent simply supporting the strike, and shutting the whole CN system down. Had the Go trains been shut down in eastern Canada and all commercial and industrial services grinded to an immediate halt the strike would not have lasted so long.

When nothing moves, fuel, people, consummer goods, even the NDP would have to admit there is a problem with transportation not being an essential service.

Lessons for next time: next time we stand up for the strikers and move to shut the system down, lock down tight.

And we do it on day one.

Comment

peaqueen,

Get into your truck/s. Follow #9 Highway in Saskatchewan, straight south until you hit the border.

Cross it through customs. $5.00 charge for goods entering.

Make sure it's on the same day as you've pre-arranged for the American railroad to pick up the container/s.

Pre-Arrange with the railroad to get your rail shipment through to the port you want to use.

The US railroad will love the business because they have been accustomed to picking up.( potash, I understand).

Canadian railroads will perhaps perk up a bit. if they don't, who gives a damn?

Parsley

Comment

You know any idea that has a glimmer of taking control of the process, is power.

Figure if there is any progress to be made in the ongoing saga of farm politics is to endeavour to discover an
                effective handle of control.

A process we have not identified much less mastered.

We have a need to address the lack of
                political intelligence we have in this industry.

Comment

If it's near/absent, bypass it.

Parsley

Comment

PeaQueen you seem to be more in touch with the rail system than most of us farmers are. You may have heard this in another thread, but I think the railroad should be considered such an essential service that they must provide transportation survice to whatever the need is. If they do not then they must be punished. When a transportation company can make over 4 billion profit in one year then they can bend to the countries' needs.

Comment

hey Parsley go to a railroad in China and It will be like a pile up of people trying to help you.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...