• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Happy Easter

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post

I wasn’t really sure either exactly where but I’m wondering approximately how many acres are getting broken up, I remember in the 80s dad got a little heat for pushing the bush on 5 quarters, mostly from people that should mind their own business.
    I thought I heard 15000-20000ish acres? Not very confident in how accurate those numbers are though.

Yes, it seems people like to sweep other people’s door steps before their own!

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post

Your problem is Easter moved to Trans day. Trans day not moved to Easter. How convenient for you. Easter could be a mental health day. How to turn an innocent thread into a personal religious crusade.
      Easter moves, deal with it, it’s not a personal religious crusade it’s a moral one.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post

I thought I heard 15000-20000ish acres? Not very confident in how accurate those numbers are though.

Yes, it seems people like to sweep other people’s door steps before their own!
        That a lot of acres, I can’t imagine the cash flow that handles it.

Comment

Easter moves, deal with it, it’s not a personal religious crusade it’s a moral one.
          In that case you are on really shaky ground. Glad you realized Easter is an arbitrary date and has nothing to do with morality or Trans.

Comment

That a lot of acres, I can’t imagine the cash flow that handles it.
            Coming from an area where the only trees growing were one that were planted.

What does it cost to push bush on a large scale per acre? I assume most of those cats are rented.

Comment

Gosh I’d hate to know what today’s costs would be to brush and break an acre of bush. Walking, piling, burning, repiling, burning, burying; not to mention plowing, floating, root picking etc. Custom cat work probably $250 - $300 an hour at least. Big 8’s with 16’ knocking blades and 24’ pilers would you do half an acre to an acre per hour? I’ve heard an acre per hour but must be better cat skinners than what we’ve ever done. Repiling and cleanup thereafter is the time consuming part. Depends too on size of bush and terrain. Brushing hills is nasty work. Scruffy 30’ and under poplars is child’s play vs 60’ black poplars. When my family settled here there wasn’t a tree but once the constant fires were stopped the bush took over. My dad and grandfather cleared over 1000 acres through the years from using axes and saws to yellow iron. It’s a process which takes years to get a piece of land to its full production. Doesn’t matter how fast you clear it and can get a crop growing. The land itself has to adapt.

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post

In that case you are on really shaky ground. Glad you realized Easter is an arbitrary date and has nothing to do with morality or Trans.
                But when the looney president endorses the mentally challenged cutting off your parts stuff group, it’s suddenly a big issue, like I said, the perverts are running the asylum!

Comment

Stick up for the looney left all you want, it’s the 1% group!

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                    Gosh I’d hate to know what today’s costs would be to brush and break an acre of bush. Walking, piling, burning, repiling, burning, burying; not to mention plowing, floating, root picking etc. Custom cat work probably $250 - $300 an hour at least. Big 8’s with 16’ knocking blades and 24’ pilers would you do half an acre to an acre per hour? I’ve heard an acre per hour but must be better cat skinners than what we’ve ever done. Repiling and cleanup thereafter is the time consuming part. Depends too on size of bush and terrain. Brushing hills is nasty work. Scruffy 30’ and under poplars is child’s play vs 60’ black poplars. When my family settled here there wasn’t a tree but once the constant fires were stopped the bush took over. My dad and grandfather cleared over 1000 acres through the years from using axes and saws to yellow iron. It’s a process which takes years to get a piece of land to its full production. Doesn’t matter how fast you clear it and can get a crop growing. The land itself has to adapt.
                    It’s definitely cheaper to buy cleared land but that’s pretty hard to do out here. With our hills and big poplars I don’t think $1k an acre would pay the dozer/hoe bill to call someone in to walk, pile, burn, and cleanup. Might be closer to $1,500. Then to disk and pick roots/rocks isn’t fun or cheap.

We run our own yellow iron so we don't keep track of time or expenses but I think the improving of the ground is one of the best parts of owning land and farming.

Dad was out playing in the bush yesterday and now it will be much nicer to get cows out of that as a bonus

Comment

Curious if those trees have come and gone since settlement. Here, I think the trees took over after prairie fires stopped.

Comment

Black poplars leave a heck of a hole to fill in but the worst are those short willow clumps. The roots tuff as nails and travel for 20-30 feet just under the ground. Amazing how things burn up if you can pile and keep adding..

Comment

I was guessing that clearing bush must be over a grand an acre.
                          so probably 20 or 30 million dollars?
                          Last edited by TSIPP; Apr 3, 2024, 18:16.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                            Curious if those trees have come and gone since settlement. Here, I think the trees took over after prairie fires stopped.
                            The oldest old timers here said there was no bush when they came. There had been a recent fire, which likely followed on nearly continuous fires throughout history.
                            I recently read the same account in a history book on this area, early sawmills had difficulty finding timber. There is a literal island just north of our farm, completely surrounded by muskeg and lake. That escaped the fire and had a sawmill in the early days.

The Rocky Mountain House historical site has a picture from late 1800's I believe it was. Not a tree in the picture, now it is solid bush.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post

It’s definitely cheaper to buy cleared land but that’s pretty hard to do out here. With our hills and big poplars I don’t think $1k an acre would pay the dozer/hoe bill to call someone in to walk, pile, burn, and cleanup. Might be closer to $1,500. Then to disk and pick roots/rocks isn’t fun or cheap.

We run our own yellow iron so we don't keep track of time or expenses but I think the improving of the ground is one of the best parts of owning land and farming.

Dad was out playing in the bush yesterday and now it will be much nicer to get cows out of that as a bonus
                              If you have the livestock, that progression would definitely be the cheapest way to do it. Push it, pile it, and let the cows graze around the piles and stumps and stump holes and roots. Wait 20 or 30 years till the roots and the brush piles are rotted down, then turn it into farmland. Not sure how many decades it would take for the big stumps to ever rot though.
                              As an added bonus, you don't lose so many nutrients and organic matter to burning it.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
                                Black poplars leave a heck of a hole to fill in but the worst are those short willow clumps. The roots tuff as nails and travel for 20-30 feet just under the ground. Amazing how things burn up if you can pile and keep adding..
                                BIL had fire go through their pasture. Where the willows were it burned out the roots. Ground sunk a few feet from that. Fought fire for atleast part of every day for almost a month. Roots would be burning and a wind would cause flare-ups.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...