• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeding intentions since it’s about to start

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
    I had a conversation last month with a farmer from Hudson Bay that told me their farm was trying lentils. Seems like an extreme fringe acre area but could be a good trial.
    The flat black cold peet soils south of town wouldn't be my first choice for lentils...not sure how you could get them from vegetative stste to reproductive state in time to ripen before end of September.

Comment

Originally posted by wrongway View Post

The flat black cold peet soils south of town wouldn't be my first choice for lentils...not sure how you could get them from vegetative stste to reproductive state in time to ripen before end of September.
      Better be reds. Might ... might have a chance. Likely not.

But if they seed greens, they will be baling them.

Comment

I had a production contract at Arborfield last year on small green lentils in 2023 that graded No 1. I have had several contracts for reds in Melfort that generally graded x3 over a number of years but also heard of No 3 being grown. All depends on the year. Any of the smaller lentils seem to be determinate enough that it has generally worked. Large green lentils would be a disaster.

I am around Hudson Bay a bit as my wife is from there. I gotta check this out this summer.

Comment

Just what we need more acres, more production. I understand they may not get a no.1 but it still counts as production and that’s all the trade wants. Keep prices down!

Look what Turkey did to the durum market, added 1.5 millions of durum in to the market. Now, we may carry that much in this yr.
          Now with wheat in the toilet many are throwing their hat in the ring and growing durum. Heck they may as well put some chicks in.

Sure hope everyone is playing by the rules and buying seed from seed growers, like I do. Could be hard to find seed in these areas that haven’t grown these crops.

Comment

Originally posted by BTO780 View Post
            Just what we need more acres, more production. I understand they may not get a no.1 but it still counts as production and that’s all the trade wants. Keep prices down!

Look what Turkey did to the durum market, added 1.5 millions of durum in to the market. Now, we may carry that much in this yr.
            Now with wheat in the toilet many are throwing their hat in the ring and growing durum. Heck they may as well put some chicks in.

Sure hope everyone is playing by the rules and buying seed from seed growers, like I do. Could be hard to find seed in these areas that haven’t grown these crops.
            Turkey was growing kabuli chickpeas and lentils long before Canada and continues to every year. Its just getting pointed back at us now for other crops. We copied others in many of these crops and now they are copying us when our prices hit stratosphere levels.

They have their own varieties that are much different then ours.

Comment

"Just what we need more acres, more production. I understand they may not get a no.1 but it still counts as production and that’s all the trade wants. Keep prices down!"

Let's make a deal...everyone south of the of #16hwy quits growing canola and everyone north quits growing lentils and chickpeas

Comment

I’ll take that deal.

Comment

Wrong way Indian head balcarres grow higher yields than most areas and they are south of 16.

Comment

Of course the Goldilocks areas can abstain...

Comment

Originally posted by wrongway View Post
                      "Just what we need more acres, more production. I understand they may not get a no.1 but it still counts as production and that’s all the trade wants. Keep prices down!"

Let's make a deal...everyone south of the of #16hwy quits growing canola and everyone north quits growing lentils and chickpeas

If aphanomyces weren't an issue and we had a glufosinate resistant lentil because nearly every broadleaf weed is GP 2 resistant now, I'd quit growing canola and just do cereals and pulses. But since that's not happening anytime soon, so you'll have to live with the south country producing some canola every year.

Comment

I want to see enough rain in my part of the country to actually grow a crop this year. The last three have been basically a seed return , not counting the expenses . Getting REALLLLYYYY tired of that shite!

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
                          I want to see enough rain in my part of the country to actually grow a crop this year. The last three have been basically a seed return , not counting the expenses . Getting REALLLLYYYY tired of that shite!
                          Dare to Dream!

We're one day closer to a rain worth getting excited about...

Conditions here are poor at best, and horrendous if you're being honest. Snow pack was minimal, we missed the last snowfall, and we went into freeze up with awful close to 100% dry soil. Going to need above average rainfall in a very timely manner to attain a below average crop. That said, intentions have not changed all that much aside from a few last minute acres that really don't have any other option's besides durum on account of saved seed being low.

CWAD: just shy of 60% (typically shoot for 50)
                          y. mustard: 12% (typically 25%, but I dont have the acres that are clean enough to even consider upping that)
                          y. peas: ~28% (typically 25%)

Long range foreguesses look poor, but then there's a few long ranger's thinking this could be a 2016. I have my doubts... Fertilizer laydown this year will be awful close to ZERO. Dollars this year, IMHO are better spent on weed control hoping for better years down the road. Pre-burn, with broadleaf residual is going to be nearly equal to fertilizer expenditure.

Good luck all, and dare to dream! This from the guy that's "livin the dream" TM...

Comment

Seems unfair at times. We have extreme WET rarely drought. Just a real expensive crop when MUD. Yesterday about 8" of very wet snow, 1" of moisture. Great if it stops to get planted, but lived many where just gets WETTER all May.
                            Everyone is 50% canola in the area.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...