• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Seeding intentions since it’s about to start

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seeding intentions since it’s about to start

What’s everyone thinking for 2024 and why.

for us we’re back to

5000 canola
    4000 spring wheat
    600 peas
    300 barley
    200 durum.

spring wheat has made us real
    good money last two years but at 7 no way.

durum maybe new varieties are better and we can get a constant [NODE="2"]Forum[/NODE]

canola due to rotation we’re back.

Peas with 8 year rule working that’s all we can do.

now what’s every one else thinking or am I missing a great crop to make money.

we can’t grow decent lentils in our area.

Why do you waste your time with those little pittly acre crops?
    Barley is worth jack squat, when you grow 100 bu wheat why waste your time on durum?
    You may as well just stick to 1/2 wheat, 1/2 canola.

Durum acres going through the roof by the sounds of. Just what the industry needs.

We all know where lentils are going.

Comment

Just wheat 65%, canola 20%, red clover 15%. No oats as if acres increase a bit market will be flooded. No barley as it’s a wimp with any significant early season rain in my land same with peas.

Comment

Obviously not a 1 in 3 for canola for Sask.

Comment

For years I has a plan to be 1/3 pulse, 1/3 cereal and 1/3 canola. Weather more than markets keeps us from this. Too wet for lentils or too dry for soybeans. For 2024, we are keeping canola about 35 % of the rotation, as normal. A lot of hrs, and smaller malt barley acres. Oats and barley are tough ones, sometimes they can be a real sleeper and then take off providing very good profit. I am spending more time trying to make sure our chem rotations are up to date. Heard some ugly kochia resistance problems in places on the prairies. Going back to reds in the lentil game and a little yellow peas. There will always be a cinderella crop but kinda hard to see it until fall.

Comment

One in three that’s funny. Some are every year north of us or 1/3 cereals and 2/3 canola.

new varieties and fungicides etc.

Comment

When waste time seeding malt barley and peas to spread out the harvest that’s it.

Comment

Durum,canola,oats,barley,red lentils. Compost extract on everything. No fertilizer going in air cart this spring.(first time ever) “Love potion number 9”if anything is lacking once the crop is up.
                water is disappearing fast here. Can kick up dust in the yard.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                  One in three that’s funny. Some are every year north of us or 1/3 cereals and 2/3 canola.

new varieties and fungicides etc.
                  I'd do the same if I could.
                  I just see the irony in the difference between farming in the glossy mags and reality. Good on you for owning all your land.
                  We do seem to be mitigating clubroot here for now.

Comment

60% oats, 30% alfalfa, 10% barley.
                    1000ac existing alfalfa to bale.
                    Last edited by Taiga; Mar 25, 2024, 14:05.

Comment

A Major bridge was destroyed when a container ship lost power and ran into it. It collapsed.

Grains red this morning.

I think in our area a lot of lentils and Durum will be planted. We grew them in the 80s and did good till it started to really rain again.

Comment

I had a conversation last month with a farmer from Hudson Bay that told me their farm was trying lentils. Seems like an extreme fringe acre area but could be a good trial.

Comment

Yea it could be interesting

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                            I had a conversation last month with a farmer from Hudson Bay that told me their farm was trying lentils. Seems like an extreme fringe acre area but could be a good trial.
                            Seen a couple quarters of lentils at Paddockwood a few years ago and a relative had a quarter here a couple years ago as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Oliver88 View Post
                              Per Dahl had 40 acres of lentils at White Fox in 86/87/88? Not sure exactly which year but it was definitely a one year adventure.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...