• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spring seeding thoughts

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spring seeding thoughts

Our farm is going to start waking up after Easter (all the staff returning etc) and wanting to put some spring thoughts down that I assume would resonate with the group.

No rockstar in selling grain so i had planned on carrying over cnl, was not selling under $13. This past week was able to let some go in the mid $14s.. i can live with that and still have some left to sell but hopefully I won’t have to build any bins for 24 crop. Ive noticed the crush is getting full and widening out their basis. My guess the next pop in futures will push cnl towards the line companies. Didn’t hit the highs but did as good as the pp with a weekly newsletter, might try Trent’s report for a year.

All our cereals are cleaned and made a change to our cropping plans to add some oats to the rotation (like many others), but the chance of $5 oats or $4.70 fd barley had a guy changing a few acres. Going to do a few more peas.

It’s nice to see some variable inputs come, glyfos, liberty, fuel (1.11/L), urea NOT phos wow, and a few others. Still not enough to offset the drop in revenue though.

I hear people complaining out scic, I’m on the fence with the new premium scheme as I haven’t used it a whole bunch and I’m in/out of it. For the areas that have collected in 4/5 years I’m guessing it’s starting to suck like agristability. At least the insured crop prices were high enough to keep the lights on and the price of land increasing - Kevin hursh says +8.2% in west central. Side note I’m tired of hearing how rich farmers are with land appreciating. Yea it’s helped but until you go and sell it, it hasn’t changed my lifestyle.

The market for labour is tight! I’ve never seen so many add on FB of people searching for people. I think if you have a heartbeat and a 1A you would be in the $27-32/hr range starting out. I see people willing to give $500 signing bonus, pay for their 1a course, blending of house/meals/vehicles.. farms are getting creative and they are still searching. I feel lucky to have a good group but they will all expire in the next five years.

No snow and dry, we’ve started with good moisture profiles the last couple years that has given us good crops. Our ground is dry and it didn’t get the 2’ of snow cover it needed to recharge the system. We will be banking on some rains or being surprised at harvest with how good our crops did with so little moisture.

Have been enjoying team Holman in the women’s world curling championship.

Just a few thoughts on a Sunday morning. This site has been quiet lately and I’ll attribute that to people being away on holidays and a little down on crop prices. April is here asap, good luck for 24

Good post ,less puffery than the other poster. No need for booze recipe. Look out for Mar 27 USDA report.
    Last edited by agstar77; Mar 24, 2024, 07:53.

Comment

Just leaving our winter home and have plenty of people here that would love to get to work in Canada. Gov. programs make it very expensive to bring a person you are familiar with to your farm. If you are willing to draw from a pool, well not so bad. Also, we have an employee wanting to get 1a. Is it a 6 week course and are there any alternatives to that.

Comment

Just got back from Scotland they are wet ,sprayer ruts in winter wheat from one end to the other in the one's they tried to spray.Sheep grazing green fields with little lambs beside them. Never saw the sun for more than a couple mins. for 2 weeks but had a good trip. Our sun even at -10 feels pretty good always nice to get back home.

Comment

Agstar.. not the intent just trying to drive some ag discussion.

The whole 1a thing is a complete money grab and costs range from $10k to $16k but they all are 5/6 week courses (that I’ve seen). The one loophole is that if you are an immigrant and had your 1a equivalent for over five years you can do a 1 week refresher course and challenge the test.

I was speaking to one outfit that trains by PA and they have it figured out. They cater to our northern friends and are fully booked and after the first week half the people drop out however the training costs are fully already paid. Quite the game.

Yes the sun feels great, still cool out in the mornings but the kids bring in fresh mud every afternoon lol.

Comment

Thinking very few move inventory "correctly". Readjusting my goals.
            Bins will be empty by July come hell or high water.
            Will do a better job at yield potential estimates. Get back to 1-2/3 presold by July crop dependent.
            Was a program in AB paid the whole MELT if your previous years income low enough.
            Took my last guy 2 months. Drove to Edmonton 5 days a week.
            He said a good portion of the class was getting an automatic tran endorsement.
            Now he wants $40/hr flat. What do you do? Repairs cost more than that.
            I'm soon at the stage where I'd be thrilled to hire the seeding out. Don't think anyone does that anymore. Everybody expanded their own acres big time.
            I married this chunk of dirt 40 years ago and once my son able to care for himself, I'm hoping to change things up.
            Peas are maxed here at 7+ years from disease. Oats doesn't pencil.
            Some barley in area. Canola maxed every year. Usually 1 in 3.
            Wheat a break even crop but it works. That's it.
            Farming isn't rocket science.
            Stupidity, ignorance and ego are your only killers.

Comment

We are steady as it goes keeping crop mix the same. We have not expanded the last few years aswe can do our work easy with 2 of us just hire some casual in the fall for combining. We don't need to be the biggest or the best which is way more relaxing. I have enjoyed the last few years farming with my son. We bought a few more acres that we were renting before so nothing really changed.

Comment

Will add, losing rented acres to succession attrition another factor.

Comment

Ah ag loser. Heading home soon.

We still have snow but melting.

Comment

50% durum (double last year due to chemical use in 2023), 25% green lentils (acres up 25% over 2023), 25% maple peas (acres up 25% over 2023).

I believe durum will be in the tank by fall but don't have a lot of choices either. Will attempt to be fully forward sold by harvest depending on summer moisture.

Comment

Canola , wheat with some peas and lentils .
                      anytime we Seed lentils we get rain , so willing to sacrifice some acres to get rain .
                      considered black beans , but maybe next year

Comment

Surveying fields today, anything tilled last fall is bone dry except for drainage. Could be really ugly if rain does not come in May. Seeding in April.

Comment

Well Happy Easter everyone!
                          Looks like the bunny left a couple surprises in the field for us this year. A bit earlier than expected but at least the weather is good. Still gotta bring them home, scour guard them, and get the sheds/pens ready.

The youngest swamper had an overdose of chocolate and wouldn’t nap at home but twenty minutes in the tractor always works miracles.

Hopefully everyone is having a great day

Comment

Hope you realize you're living your best life right now woodie.
                            Happy Easter.

Comment

He needs a better hat.Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	344
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	792029?
                              Last edited by makar; Mar 31, 2024, 19:46.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...