• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stats Can Acreage Report

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post

Land , interest, machinery and input costs were up to 40% less….. or more
    And crop prices are roughly 40% higher than they were throughout that period.
    $14 canola today versus $10.
    $8.50 wheat versus $6. Etc.
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

And crop prices are roughly 40% higher than they were throughout that period.
      $14 canola today versus $10.
      $8.50 wheat versus $6. Etc.
      Just need a crop to help out , not everyone blessed with above average crops

Comment

If these are horrible prices, how did you survive the previous decade where these would have been considered fantastic prices?
        Land, machinery and inputs weren’t in the millions, along with everything else.
        Sorry, but I don’t farm to break even.

Comment

Take it for what its worth, but these past 2 weeks almost everyone I have talked to around here received a call from the seed company they grow canola for and have had some, if not all contract production acres cut or cancelled in 2024. Not just one seed company... all of them. What do the big seed companies know that the rest of us don't? Our area is a huge pedigreed canola production area, and this action across the board seems to indicate they are aware of something we aren't.

Comment

That’s interesting. Those acres production will go to 2025 seed. Is there a glut of seed from previous years sitting in seed company stocks because of shrinking sales or …?

Comment

What is the storage life of seed canola? When does germination fall off.

Comment

Could it be that they were hedging their bets against another Argentina drought, and had more production than necessary on the books. Now Argentina had a very good growing season and they don't need as much for next year?

Comment

Could it be that they were hedging their bets against another Argentina drought, and had more production than necessary on the books. Now Argentina had a very good growing season and they don't need as much for next year?
                  That sounds plausible. Now I think my retailer told me that the Dekalb stuff I grow is all Canadian sourced. If you look on the bag label it’ll tell you the origin. Far as treated stuff not sold it’s germ tested and rebagged. That’s what I was told. Neighbour had some treated with lindane he kept for years getting a germ done each year and if I remember correctly after 5 years the germination declined from 98% to 80% or something like that. He was game for doing things like that.

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post

That sounds plausible. Now I think my retailer told me that the Dekalb stuff I grow is all Canadian sourced. If you look on the bag label it’ll tell you the origin. Far as treated stuff not sold it’s germ tested and rebagged. That’s what I was told. Neighbor had some treated with lindane he kept for years getting a germ done each year and if I remember correctly after 5 years the germination declined from 98% to 80% or something like that. He was game for doing things like that.
                    I was involved at Gustafson years ago and we did a study on germ rates and storage with the pools. While i don't remember all the details, storage conditions were a huge part of the germ rate in subsequent years. I.e. warehouse temps etc. Even pallet height had an impact due to higher air temps at higher levels. Treated or not treated was irrelevant. I believe the industry will have an even better understanding of this now and contrary to what farmers think, seed companies take this stuff really seriously.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                    • Return to Topic List
                    Working...