• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Picking up parts in USA

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Picking up parts in USA

I have a small pile of parts waiting for me at the shipping outlet in Montana and plan on having my son pick them up this week.
    Do I need a broker to bring them across or can he just show the paperwork and pay GST on them? Some are hot rod parts, some are tractor parts, and some are farm pickup truck parts. The receipts have my personal name and "farm" behind them (just to make it easier for my bookkeeper to sort later) (26 separate packages totaling about $10,000).

Anybody have experience with this?
    Thanks​

[url]https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/import/guide-eng.html#s1[/url]

Go through this you'll need an rm suffix for your business number and figure out your import codes for your items before you go .
    When you come back you go in use the terminals in the building at Coutts parking lot entrance is left on the north side of the building.
    I think if you have all your info you can also do the form on line.
    Haven't brought back more than 5000 on a trip so not sure if there's a number after which you may be smarter to use a broker. We've used brokers for combines and sprayers as there was emissions crap and owners certificate needed and we used a custom trucker.
    Last edited by mcfarms; Feb 19, 2024, 11:41.

Comment

You have to call CRA to get an import #. All that is an RM at the end of your businees #.

The Canada Customs Coding Form is a little hard to fill out, but if you get a helpful border agent they may help you fill it out. The border agents have a huge binder with all the codes for different items being imported. If the border agent refuse to help you out the web site will have codes for all your different parts.

With all the different parts you have there is going to be many different codes needed.

They will also tell you where to find the Canada Customs Coding Form on the web site.

You will pay GST on everything, but if you state it is not farm use for all parts you will pay duty on those that are not farm use.

I have purchased farm parts in excess of $10k and have had no problems.

There is a bit of work envolved, but if you want to save on brokerage fees you can do it.
      Last edited by foragefarmer; Feb 19, 2024, 12:45.

Comment

One thing we have run into is a person picking up items for someone else. In our case they wanted our name on the invoice. We were at a smaller crossing so they let us go anyway.

Sometimes if you are close to closing they say, "so this is just farm parts?" Go on through.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
        • Return to Topic List
        Working...