• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

WTF Wheat taking a fall!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No no no... now we see the panic set in. Now rents will skyrocket because people need to keep or gain land to pay for equipment...
    there is a ton of grain left up in our neck of the woods. This is just selling to pay off bills and many countries not able to handle inflation. Its way more hand to mouth grain buying... countries are now more worried about their own food security than ever. The grain supercycle is over... next comes a 4 yr spanking on our own self imposed debt load and spending.
    Markets will jump back but people better start thinking of commodity prices from 10 yrs ago and reset their brains on sell points and net revenue.

Comment

Definitely going to be a shock to the system for many

Comment

All we need now is mother nature to throw a curve ball and we will have the makings of the 80's. You guys remember the good old days don't you

Comment

Certainly will be many, myself included who have not sold the bulk of their canola that will be shaking their head and adding up how many dollars poor marketing has left on the table. On the plus side backgrounding my calves payed off as they sold for 50% more than last year. Glad I still have my cows.

Comment

It's not poor marketing, it's a STRANGE year. USDA outlook "knows" that the 2024 crop will lose money....in February?

Like they were TOLD, or will make it happen? A hell of a lot is unknown till crop is harvested.

IGC says 2024-25 OUTLOOK
            • Wheat stockpiles are expected to be slightly tighter than expected last month, with inventories seen at an eight-year low
            • Corn area is seen a bit higher y/y, while the barley area is expected to be smaller than average and little changed y/y
            The IGC Grains and Oilseeds Index (GOI) dropped to its lowest since October 2020, down by 7% m/m. Global total grains (wheat and coarse grains) production is forecast to increase by 43m t in 2023/24, to a record 2,310m, as a much larger maize harvest (+71m y/y) more than compensates for declines for some other crops, including wheat (-15m) and barley (-8m). With uptake at a new all-time high, world closing stocks are expected to tighten again, dropping for a seventh year in a row, to 589m t (-7m). Trade is placed 9m t lower y/y, at 419m, including smaller wheat, maize and barley shipments.

​Hmmmm?

Shitter lacking backward Russians, will have 3rd bumper crop in a row...not helping prices.

During a war Ukraine exports way MORE than Canada?

Hmmmm?​

Comment

I guess the “sanctions” were / are useless .
              In fact detrimental as Russia found ways around sanctions and now flooding markets with cheap grains and oilseeds .
              A lot of told ya so’s showing up now but absolutely no one anywhere predicted this commodity collapse 4 months ago , other the Errol I guess

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                I guess the “sanctions” were / are useless .
                In fact detrimental as Russia found ways around sanctions and now flooding markets with cheap grains and oilseeds .
                A lot of told ya so’s showing up now but absolutely no one anywhere predicted this commodity collapse 4 months ago , other the Errol I guess
                Some have been bearish for the past year and half.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                  I guess the “sanctions” were / are useless...
                  It sounds like you are under the mistaken impression sanctions on Russia applied to food.

Comment

Originally posted by ColevilleH2S View Post

It sounds like you are under the mistaken impression sanctions on Russia applied to food.
                    Yup guess so .

Comment

Not to food maybe, but sanctions HURT their Ruble, now other countries buy Russian grain at a discount, due to exchange, wrecking out prices....Our own fault.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Cowzilla View Post
                        All we need now is mother nature to throw a curve ball and we will have the makings of the 80's. You guys remember the good old days don't you
                        Many of us have had those years recently.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post

Here it's been an exercise in going through the motions since '21. South and east it's been one garbage crop after another since '19. Crop insurance with built up averages and respectable commodity prices have at least kept people in the game.

I suspect new crop insurance numbers are going to be dismal.

Even at 80% $'s/ac coverage will likely come in somewhere around:
                          cwrs @ 22bu area average and $8 = $140
                          Cwad @ 22bu and $9.50 = $167
                          Peas @ 33bu and $9.50 = $272
                          Canola @ 18bu and $12 = $173

That's between $40 and $75 per acre less than last year

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post

I could have survived the early 80s with a lot less pain without 24% interest. If that happens again western Canada will not look the same.

Comment

Originally posted by ColevilleH2S View Post

Food was exempted. But the theory was that shipping and currency would be the problem. They haven't been so far.
                              The pundits also thought Russia would destroy Ukraine's agricultural infrastructure. They didn't
                              The theory I've read recently, is that Russia desperately needed China onside, to keep their economy functioning, and to provide war material.
                              And China's condition for support was, keep the food flowing from Ukraine to keep prices from blowing up.
                              Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Feb 16, 2024, 23:13.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post

Here it's been an exercise in going through the motions since '21. South and east it's been one garbage crop after another since '19. Crop insurance with built up averages and respectable commodity prices have at least kept people in the game.

I suspect new crop insurance numbers are going to be dismal.

Even at 80% $'s/ac coverage will likely come in somewhere around:
                                cwrs @ 22bu area average and $8 = $140
                                Cwad @ 22bu and $9.50 = $167
                                Peas @ 33bu and $9.50 = $272
                                Canola @ 18bu and $12 = $173

That's between $40 and $75 per acre less than last year
                                Very few have a clue on the real numbers
                                thank you for posting
                                there are many that think we all are guaranteed $1000/ac in this ag industry and it’s not even remotely close for 80% of us

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...