• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Malt barley on wheat stubble

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
    Just remember, a pea swath is the worst if it blows.
    Yes. I have heard that. Might just swath ahead of the combine for this year, and if I don’t mind growing peas, buy a header or two next year. I am sure the shelling loss from swathing will buy a header on 1000 acres at least every 2nd year.

Comment

On your canola as well.
      Then factor shrinkage.

Comment

And flat on ground MANURE if rains...

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
          Just remember, a pea swath is the worst if it blows.
          Yup I had to swath a couple of times as it was too flat for my honeybee to pick. Swathed just ahead of the combine as I found even rolled pea swaths blow. No stubble to hold them.

As for Synergy, yes I have grown it. Decent yielding stands ok. From what I have grown for different varieties over the last 4 years I would say Synergy and Austenson about the same, then Sirish about 10% better, then Esma about 15% better. Just my experience.

Comment

Haven't even used a lifter since going MacDon

Comment

Originally posted by fjlip View Post
              And flat on ground MANURE if rains...
              if swathed?

Comment

You had better hope for a : dry, calm, rock free, goose free… with belt conveyor system, hoppers with air and temperature monitoring…

really good rock protection… on your combine….

PS… hope you put on a good rate of Granular Edge this last fall… best weed management practice to have a good pea crop!

Many Blessings and much Wisdom!!!
                Last edited by TOM4CWB; Feb 6, 2024, 22:05.

Comment

A land roller is smart harvest management… plenty of low salt P, K, S… granular innoculant… 4bu/ac seeding rate… high capacity air system with complete blockage monitors…

PS… hope you put on a good rate of Granular Edge this last fall… best weed management practice to have a good pea crop! Viper herbicide can be nasty to get on in the right stage… Heat before seeding…pre emergent high rates to kill volunteer Canola…
                  Yet a 75bu crop is fun to sell!!!
                  Last edited by TOM4CWB; Feb 6, 2024, 22:13.

Comment

You make a headache sound so fun! Sounds like I will be regretting my choice lol

Comment

Always fun to learn a new crop.
                      Time to do something else when it's not. Good luck.

Comment

A good Fababean crop may be a better experience!
                        BTW 2/3 of the time our peas loose germ during harvest… or cleaning… 16% moisture at harvest is a must into an air bin, better to clean right off the combine…. Seed peas are very tricky! Bleached Green peas get discounted.
                        only been growing peas for 40 years!

Many Blessings!

Comment

Then there is the pea straw residue left over to battle with … a really special high straw clearance drill… or disc it in harrow…and watch it blow the soil…

Cheers!

Comment

This is snirt blown across road from my organic neighbour who planted a pea and other plant cover crop then wishek disced it in this fall...doing it the "right" way but is it any more sustainable?

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                              A land roller is smart harvest management… plenty of low salt P, K, S… granular innoculant… 4bu/ac seeding rate… high capacity air system with complete blockage monitors…

PS… hope you put on a good rate of Granular Edge this last fall… best weed management practice to have a good pea crop! Viper herbicide can be nasty to get on in the right stage… Heat before seeding…pre emergent high rates to kill volunteer Canola…
                              Yet a 75bu crop is fun to sell!!!
                              I thought heat should be taken off the pre emergent label for pulses.

Comment

Can only be applied once a season…, either in pre emergent or as a harvest aid in the fall.Cheers

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...