• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maple peas

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maple peas

I have never grown before. Any advice/tips?

2 Best options.

Seed em..grow em like normal peas..but then have someone Combine them with someone elses combine.
    Or dont grow em.

Im honestly not joking
    They will make your flattest yellow pea crop seem like a dream!
    i mean.. flat
    flat flatttttt

Maybe double fungicide?

Comment

Best if grown on land that has not grown peas for 10 years… and not canola for 2 years at least.

Plenty of P25O K2O, S, preferably high solubility low salt formulation… side banded… double innoculant granular and seed applied.

Then pray for a hot dry harvest…with no heavy rain after they are getting close to ripe.

If you are really brave… and know the weather won’t rain much… swathing at this point will make combining much better!

At this point… Green Peas would likely be more profitable… or Marrow Fat specialty Peas.

Many Blessings! Happy Farming!!!

Comment

Intercrop Peas with mustard or Peas with Canola
        peas trellis on canola so they don't fall flat- and you will gain bushels of canola as a bonus
        peas supply nitrogen to canola so no fertilizer needed
        Most producers have found up to 30% more profit from this intercrop versus mono
        separation is easy with a Kwik Klean
        lots of info in you tube or internet

Comment

Grow blazer maple peas. They stand up like a yellow pea. I have seen 45 bushel maple pea crops. Mosaic are not bad for standability.

These guys are talking about acer or whero maple peas that fall so flat you can't even tell the crop is there. That happened to me once with acer but it was the most profitable crop on our farm that year. The new varieties are much much better.

Acer has about $1/bushel premium but yield is down 30+%.

Comment

They sound like combine wreckers to me.

Comment

Amazing what prices will do.
              Call them market chasers.

Comment

older variety of maples on my farm... 20 acres took 3 days to straight cut. 50 bu/ac at $14/bu...when wheat was 5 and canola was 8. very profitable if don't count combine wear. a moose had walked thru them before they went flat during the rains and at harvest the footprints were higher than the rest of the peas. the whole combine was lined with a layer of mud 1/2 inch thick. I never grew peas again

Comment

Canada is virtually sold out of maple peas from 2023 crop. It will be hard to increase acres alot in 2024 due to seed supply. With a average crop thought prices likely closer to $15-16 with current contracting in the $17-18 range depending on variety.

Comment

Originally posted by wrongway View Post
                    older variety of maples on my farm... 20 acres took 3 days to straight cut. 50 bu/ac at $14/bu...when wheat was 5 and canola was 8. very profitable if don't count combine wear. a moose had walked thru them before they went flat during the rains and at harvest the footprints were higher than the rest of the peas. the whole combine was lined with a layer of mud 1/2 inch thick. I never grew peas again
                    Grew 1200 acres of Acer. They went flat and we had to cut them all one way. After a day of blue air in the combine cab we reached zen and realized that is what we had to do.

They went 52 and sold them for $11 or so. Good payer but never grew them again. I think new varieties would be much better. There definitely is a yield hit. Like Dave said getting seed will be your biggest problem.

Comment

Grew Blazer maple peas and stood as good as yellow but if doing again I would certainly grow together with canola for an even better return- easy separation at 1000 bus/hour or More with kwik klean

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...