• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temperatures Too Cold to Report???

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank God for fossil fuels and the hero's of yesterday and today for keeping us alive.

Comment

-42 now, power went off from 3-7 am at -38, thank god I have a wood stove. Should hit -50 tonight. No wonder gramma burst into tears in 1939 when she got off the train and said we are in the wilderness.. And that was in august.
      Last edited by makar; Jan 11, 2024, 23:32.

Comment

-12 in the shithole ukraine/belarus/poland where dad was born.

Comment

Start of day one of the two known coldest days in Vegreville history. Previous record was -46.9 on January 27, 2004. Weather records do not support that winters were colder in the past, it is technology that makes them easier to deal with. (Thank God for oil, natural gas, and coal) We have in recent history had extreme conditions that has rivaled anything in past weather records that I can find going back to the 1920's. Ice age?

Comment

“Extreme Cold puts everyone at risk”

Environment Canada at its finest…. Perhaps they should send our PM a memo….

Comment

A few degrees hotter in summer is not life threatening, but very cold is absolutely

Comment

140K btu furnace in a ~850sq ft house with 2x4 walls, limited roof insulation, and a dirt cellar. It's barely keeping up this morning. It's a stopgap until I can finish a proper house, but damn, all I can think is this place used to be heated with nothing more than a wood/coal stove! In past generations, I suspect everyone just slept on the kitchen/dining room floor.

-37f air temp, with an absolutely miserable 13mph wind this morning makes for a -64f windchill.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post
                  140K btu furnace in a ~850sq ft house with 2x4 walls, limited roof insulation, and a dirt cellar. It's barely keeping up this morning. It's a stopgap until I can finish a proper house, but damn, all I can think is this place used to be heated with nothing more than a wood/coal stove! In past generations, I suspect everyone just slept on the kitchen/dining room floor.

-37f air temp, with an absolutely miserable 13mph wind this morning makes for a -64f windchill.
                  How many people lived in that house? Our town won't even let us build a 850 sq ft house even built with today's insulation and high efficiency furnace so we can heat cheap and use less gas. We tried to develop a whole area of town but nope. Not sure What is a proper house in today's standards?

Comment

One of the old 2 1/2 story brick houses next door had a huge wood ,coal furnace in the basement I swear it was the size of a round baler. I remember looking at the deep wore out groves on the wooden steps thinking that was a nasty place to keep warm when it hit -40.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post

How many people lived in that house? Our town won't even let us build a 850 sq ft house even built with today's insulation and high efficiency furnace so we can heat cheap and use less gas. We tried to develop a whole area of town but nope. Not sure What is a proper house in today's standards?
                      -Original bachelor built the first 400ft in the teens.
                      -Great grandfathers family of 4 possibly 5 by then moved into it in 1924.
                      -additional 450ft built on in early 30's to house a family of 7.
                      -grandfather's family of 4 lived in it from the 50s until they moved into town.
                      -we moved a family of 5 now 6 into it in the spring of 21. Hope we're out by next christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post

Permit rules ARE the problem. The sprawl of cities is driven by development and zoning rules.

Comment

Originally posted by Happytrails View Post
                          Thank God for fossil fuels and the hero's of yesterday and today for keeping us alive.
                          Yes, before we begin I'd like to recognize we are holding today's event on land made safe by our fathers and grandfathers. In comfortable facilities built by same.

That's what I say in my head while the MC is saying something else....

Comment

Originally posted by Happytrails View Post

Permit rules ARE the problem. The sprawl of cities is driven by development and zoning rules.
                            Yes of the 4 of us that wanted to start the development area we are all now the empty nesters and living in big houses that were built for big families, just what we wanted to avoid. We should be in the little bungalows and other families in these houses as starter homes. Instead young families are forced to build big houses that are expensive to build and maintain. Rural Municipal is the same. We wanted to build on some waste land on the same yard as acreage but MD wouldn't let us so farmer is now cutting grass on his 10 acre yard site.

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post

Grew up in a house just like that. Pieced together early in the last century. Luckily we had diesel heat.
                              And I was young, so no responsibilities. Your kids will have good memories.
                              I do however have no feeling in some toes from feeding cows back then.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post

Grew up in a house just like that. Pieced together early in the last century. Luckily we had diesel heat.
                                And I was young, so no responsibilities. Your kids will have good memories.
                                I do however have no feeling in some toes from feeding cows back then.
                                They got diesel heat in the addition sometime in the 40s, with the original portion still having a coal burning oven. Dad remembers sleeping in front of the old Quaker heaters in the living room on really cold nights, but the old half could be awful chilly come morning if no-one woke up in the middle of the night to stoke the oven.

Still -60°f windchill here. Had to stuff more insulation down the water well-pit and its damned near impossible to walk into the wind without a balaclava ladened face.

Perhaps with minimal snow cover this'll nuke some grasshopper eggs? Lord knows they layed a biblical infestation in waiting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...