• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola acres for 2024. In the tank or increasing?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Talking to people at the crop production show yesterday I'm thinking lots more peas durum lentils and oats, canola buyers getting their wish way fewer acres.

Comment

Guys in the south won’t grow $10 peas over $30 lentils. You can contract greens at .50 lb

With the drought last yr there will be a lot of chemical carryover where durum can’t be seeded on.

Comment

I agree the pea price is the shits and you are right 10 dollar peas and shitty varieties wont cut it.

South of number one lentils and Durum, Number one to 16 East of Long lake to border will be wheat some durum lentils and peas Canola acres will be down. West of long lake and 16 to 1 will be Durum lentils and chick peas etc. Canola will be almost a thing of the past. 16 north will be Canola oats up big time peas or faba and the odd guy lentils.

Its a not fun time in growing a crop.

Storm rolled through and all in the bush thanks to 60 km winds.

Have a great day.

Comment

Canola acres will be the same for us as it was back in October, even in SW Sask. Agronomics trumps dollars, especially when you play the long game. Sticking to a minimum 1 in 4 rotation on pulses. Have done some as long as 1 in 7. Lentil yields get better the longer the rotation.

Comment

Canola acres in this area a given every year.

Comment

Check with your seed salesman I'm thinking not.

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                Check with your seed salesman I'm thinking not.
                I asked one the other day, no change in total canola acres.

Comment

Everyone on the west side less and South of number oneless

Comment

A good read about the future of renewable diesel.
                    The main takeaway is that the proposed expansion can not realistically happen due to supply constraints and that policy makers will have to accept that reality.
                    But if it does...

Figure 1. Most bio-based diesel fuels are made from vegetable oil. The chart above shows the oils and fats used to make biodiesel and renewable diesel in 2022. (Source EIA Monthly Biofuels Capacity and Feedstocks Update)

Comment

Thought everybody allready had their canola seed acres way back. That call by seed guy in November saying gotta order now, supplies short ,can't guarantee your variety and you will miss out on $40 bag increase ! A 25% drop sure would knock the crap out of a lot of other crop prices . Some talking more edible beans around here and more sunflower .

Comment

All canola oil (high in Omega 6) should be in biofuel (our diesel tanks) and not in our bodies. There is nothing healthy about seed oil. Buy Olive Oil for the kitchen cupboard, grow canola and build more crushing facilities to accommodate made at home fuel supply.
                        The food for fuel debate is dead. I remember in the early 2000's how we were going to starve if we turned corn and wheat into Ethenol. Another story from the good old UN troupe. The same ones that are now the climate crazies, that fly to non stop meetings around the world, look at their belly buttons, tell us how to live and get nothing productive done.
                        If you think grain prices suck now....take away the Ethenol and Biofuel industry....wow corn at $2.50-3.00, barley at $2.50-3.00, canola at $8.00, wheat at $5.00.
                        Add more crush capacity and the guys who just want to pay top dollar for land and equipment....might have the Cashflow to do it!
                        Last edited by Crestliner; Jan 20, 2024, 13:10.

Comment

And with ALL this crushed seed/oil, the meal must be used also. Need MORE animals!

Comment

The industry insiders at the Iowa Renewable Fuels Summit are more optimistic about biofuels going forward.

They see SAF supplying 100% of the aviation fuel market by 2050. I don't think that is even remotely possible.

Comment

if it is it will happen after Biden is gone

Comment

soy is in trouble in sa and nothing is changing/

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...