• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Newer Durum Varieties

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newer Durum Varieties

Have been growing transcend durum for a while now, looking for a new variety. What's your thoughts on the newer varieties that are out now? Sounds like Defy is popular. Donlow, Vantaa, Grainland, Schrader are quite new. Wondering how some of these varieties do in drought? Also looking for any input on holding colour after a rain, threshing ease, lodging, protein, bushel weight. Some of this can be found in the seed guide obviously but looking for real world experience. From what I've read it sounds like Alloy has been pretty good for most people as well. Located in south central Sask.

Firstly, nothing does good in drought.
    Honestly the new wheat varieties are performing better than the new durum varieties on a dry yr, even on a wet yr, I can speak for that.
    I grow Starbuck.

I’m growing Alloy and Defy.

Alloy:
    Big yield on a wet yr, even on an average yr
    Lots of straw
    Great color
    Heavy test weight
    Good protein
    Threshes decent even in a dry yr.

Defy:
    Yield is good, haven’t had it outyield Alloy yet.
    It has pretty much the same attributes as Alloy. Only way you tell them apart is the head. Defy is longer and slender.
    Had them side by side, maturity was the same.
    One thing I have noticed Defy has a cleaner sample.

Both are good varieties really no complaints.

Will grow both in 24.

Comment

Surprised to see a rotation with both Red Clover and Durum.

Be hard to find a buyer near here.

How far do you haul Red Clover?

Comment

Thanks for the info BTO780,

Has anybody tried growing Donlow or Grainland?

Comment

We've grown Grainland since 2021. I've liked it, but 2022 was the only year where we had average yields. Haven't had any adverse harvest conditions, so I don't know how it handles a wet harvest. Solid stem stands nice, and it's nice insurance with sawfly on the rise in our area

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
            We've grown Grainland since 2021. I've liked it, but 2022 was the only year where we had average yields. Haven't had any adverse harvest conditions, so I don't know how it handles a wet harvest. Solid stem stands nice, and it's nice insurance with sawfly on the rise in our area
            Do you know anyone that's put Stronghold side by side with Grainland? I like pretty much everything that stronghold has to offer in the way of:
            -solid stem sawfly resistance
            -respectable disease package for what we need in the special areas.
            -holds color well
            -has given high protein (not that this seems to matter anymore... until it will)
            -has given high test weights on dry years! This one is huge to me. I used to grow Verona and generally liked it as well, but it regularly used to shrivel up and give test weights in the 58-60lb neighborhood. 2021 through 2023, the lowest I've had is 63lb, and the highest is 67lb with Stronghold. I thought that was impressive given the abnormal dryness.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...