• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wasn't Canada the bread basket of the world at one time?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wasn't Canada the bread basket of the world at one time?

Now the Liberals call Ukraine the bread basket of the world daily in their responses in question period. What happened to our reputation????

They hate western Canada , once you understand that, everything makes sense

Comment

I second that they hate us once we all get that it’s easy to see there plans for us

Comment

You would think if you are the (Breadbasket of the World ) in the middle of a war that would create huge price swings and inflated grain prices.

Comment

All total BULLSHIT! What war? Exporting like crazy? Black sea all MINED....but shipping no problem. Lies. No risk of supply or prices would be much higher.

Comment

Lots of Ukrainian grains are being shipped west overland flooding neighbouring countries’ markets. Meanwhile Russia filling the gap with their wheat exports into the low value markets. Ukraine in reality is a bigger player in corn and sunflower oil. Russia is a larger player in wheat as outside of the prime areas a lot and I mean a lot of ground is best in wheat. Putin has done his damndest to set Russia up as major producer and exporter of wheat. Which kudos to him.

Comment

interesting when i started in 81 canada and australia head to head to malt barley market

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                Lots of Ukrainian grains are being shipped west overland flooding neighboring countries’ markets. Meanwhile Russia filling the gap with their wheat exports into the low value markets. Ukraine in reality is a bigger player in corn and sunflower oil. Russia is a larger player in wheat as outside of the prime areas a lot and I mean a lot of ground is best in wheat. Putin has done his damndest to set Russia up as major producer and exporter of wheat. Which kudos to him.
                In the CWB days the FSU was often our largest importer of wheat as they couldn't grow enough to feed themselves.
                Your basic Government to Government transaction as we sent most of it on the never never plan.
                The world wheat market is a whole new ballgame when you consider the all of eastern Europe were importers via the Soviet Union (including Ukraine} but now are exporting.

A lesson in Central Planning and government involvement that seems to be ignored nowadays?

Were you there when they "sold" that wheat Chuck?

Hard to read but lots of those smaller exporters were FSU.
                Last edited by shtferbrains; Dec 15, 2023, 17:51.

Comment

That chart is in dollar values versus tonnes. Canadian, US, and Aussie grain is higher quality higher priced than the stuff out of the FSU. So tonnes produced there is nuts. I’m not that old compared to most of you guys here but I can remember years ago the mantra if Russia and the FSU gets their shit together we will be in trouble. Think what props us up is partially quality, growth in population, ethanol, and maybe we’re not a totalitarian shithole, yet.

Comment

In my travels over the years across prairies often got told “peace river wheat best in the world” any better than rest of the prairies?

Comment

[QUOTE=Landdownunder;n785106]In my travels over the years across prairies often got told “peace river wheat best in the world” any better than rest of the prairies?[/QUOTE.

That story is probably from the elevator line in sexsmith supposedly being on a currency bill after being the highest rail shipping point one year.
                      Sexsmith is located in the Peace River Country region of Alberta, one of the most fertile growing areas in the province. The town was once known as the "grain capital of the British Empire": In a 10-year period from 1939 to 1949, it shipped more grain than any other port in the empire.​
                      Last edited by makar; Dec 17, 2023, 19:53.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...