• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water, or lack of

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This fall I took the initiative to make improvements on rented land. Fixing potholes, hauling manure to the poor areas, etc.
    In the past, I've preferred to improve my own, vs. land which I may not farm long enough to get a payback. Then look back and realize that the same pothole or worn out patch costs just as much in lost yield over the years, if I own it or not. So will take my chances.

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
      We try to seed our pot holes and runs after the rest of our land is done, last year we had 30 acres of wheat that yielded more than 2 semi’s. A lot of years rain claims them back, but just sucking moisture out of those area’s gives you a chance for next year’s country.
      The last few years we seeded about 100 ac of potholes . This year seeded through near everything . If it we not for those low areas our average yields would have been dismal.
      yield were up to 4 x in pothole / low areas .
      Did some drainage tile this fall on one big flat slough with a clay base . Hopefully it works as planned .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
        Did some drainage tile this fall on one big flat slough with a clay base . Hopefully it works as planned .
        Did that require approvals through all the appropriate bureaucracies? That is exactly what we need around here, but the red tape makes it nearly impossible.

Comment

How far did you have to go for an outlet?

Comment

Was about 3/4 mile total length
            1/2 that in slough then trenched with track hoe and transit to an open ditch then to an expanded dugout by a permanent slough .

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
              Sure is easy on the feedstack but feeding as no snow to let cows run in the hills. Have sloughs but worry they’ll freeze to the bottom on particular fields.
              I've got cows that are watering from a well near the yard and going back 1 1/2 miles to graze on what little grass we have. We are feeding them about 15 lbs. Still way better than 30 lbs.
              Last edited by Happytrails; Dec 16, 2023, 13:50.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
              • Return to Topic List
              Working...