• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water, or lack of

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With apologies to Helmsdale and everyone else in the same situation. I'm not counting on drought for long term marketing. As we have seen, crop conditions in Western Canada have very little effect on world prices.
    I'm desperately hoping for drought "here" since it is far preferable to the alternative.

I'd rather have a hot dry year with the resulting (local) bumper crops across all acres of adequate quality to market at depressed prices, than half drowned out, poor quality frozen crops which hadn't received enough heat units to even mature, regardless of price.

Unfortunately, nature doesn't seem to care what I am hoping for.

Comment

Seeing slough bottoms that were not dry in 1988. Guys were out working them up. If those sloughs get seeded in 2024, chances are it won't be worth seeding the rest of the field.

Comment

Everytime we worked dry sloughs....wife said I will be sorry. Happened too often, I quit working up old muskrat land.

Comment

Have a landlord who started charging rent on the sloughs seeded or not. Dunno if that tells us where in the cycle we are.

Comment

[url]https://www.facebook.com/reel/6871718902905923?fs=e&s=TIeQ9V&mibextid=0NULKw[/url]

Comment

We don't need moisture until April. Until then I will take all of the great weather that mother nature sees fit to send.
              Last edited by Happytrails; Dec 16, 2023, 13:39.

Comment

Yes hafta admit, I am really enjoying this , must be a godsend for the hard workin livestock guys and gals !
                Last edited by Guest; Dec 15, 2023, 19:53.

Comment

For years now, I have realized that I am at the mercy of mother nature.
                  What a relief knowing that the government can tax me and control mother/her/it/they/them/him/?? nature now.

Comment

Sure is easy on the feedstack but feeding as no snow to let cows run in the hills. Have sloughs but worry they’ll freeze to the bottom on particular fields.

Comment

Originally posted by wade View Post
                      For years now, I have realized that I am at the mercy of mother nature.
                      What a relief knowing that the government can tax me and control mother/her/it/they/them/him/?? nature now.
                      sounds stupid when you see it in print?

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                        Have a landlord who started charging rent on the sloughs seeded or not. Dunno if that tells us where in the cycle we are.
                        I do that otherwise my renter's will be raising moose where I grew wheat on land I wrestled back from mother nature. Being terrified of wet land is not my problem, I want it farmed at least as well as me until I am gone. I do however maintain such ground myself.
                        Last edited by makar; Dec 15, 2023, 22:35.

Comment

Situation specific I suppose. In this case, I haven't seen these dry since 03. And hoping they fill in again soon. 4 acre potholes. No drainage, no bush. Need to pump a lot.
                          % x FMV adjusted every two years.
                          Expecting $200/ac by 2026/27.
                          ​​​​​​Plus my costs to bring it back, for 2-3 years usage. And the acre number won't ever go down. So $/ac on producing just higher is all. Always the case, I realize.
                          One has a drainage ditch right through it. Owner acquired it in 73, never farmed himself. Most was given. Won't drain it. Can't afford it LOL.
                          Hell, the ass in the seat is costing me $40/hr. Discs are $1400/day or $120,000 to buy. Pumps $????
                          Have to disc them, seeded or not because he's listening to input from someone else who wants the land.
                          Ain't family grand?
                          It's not the price, that's business, but ordering me to disc sloughs at my expense so they can fill in when it rains???
                          I wonder what kind of landlord I'll be?? Definitely not that.

Comment

With a smile on my face , I would tell him to go *** himself

Comment

Got a couple of potholes I seed through that usually have water in them in a few days. I'M afraid if I don't I won't get the much needed rain afterwards!

Comment

We try to seed our pot holes and runs after the rest of our land is done, last year we had 30 acres of wheat that yielded more than 2 semi’s. A lot of years rain claims them back, but just sucking moisture out of those area’s gives you a chance for next year’s country.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...