• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Water, or lack of

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone who wants the old website should send admin a message.

Comment

?So we have went thru 7 years of drought and your saying we have 3 more ??!!

Comment

I remember just a short.. 2 years ago. Coming off 2 straight years of 20 + inches of rain.... absolute disaster up around edmonton area. Basement flooded for 1st time in history on our 100 yr old 4th gen house. 400 combined acres out of 3000. Complete wreck. Lots of snow that following winter... seeded next spring and everything came.up awesome.. nice rains til mid june then the taps shut off and monster heat for 2 months.
        WHEAT BARLEY AND CEREALS avgd 10 to 20. Canola avgd 16. Peas single digits.

Im over winter snow. Im going to put all my eggs in the spring/ summer rains basket and starting to believe that heat blast is our [NODE="1"]Home[/NODE] yield robber.
        subsoil moisture is overrated.

( i say this in jest.. but also somewhat serious!)
        June is our month that makes or breaks the crop... not december.

Comment

Few more calfs coming today least don't have to worry about pushing snow before truck shows up. Didn't have to plug tractors in last night so saving on hydro bill but think January will come in with a vengeance.

Comment

Gopher running around just now. Odd for dec14th, definitely saw its shadow.

Comment

You’ll never lose a crop in December, just some hope!

Cattle guys here best to have a backup plan for water. Not a slough or dugout has water.
              It can turn around in a hurry too.

Comment

Originally posted by rastafarian View Post
                ?So we have went thru 7 years of drought and your saying we have 3 more ??!!
                I searched the post I was referencing. It was from October of 21, and he was calling for 8 years of drought. I assume that maybe included 21? So only 5 years left. Just search Macdon It's one of the last posts he made.
                Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Dec 14, 2023, 15:43.

Comment

December last year was -30C and colder for the entire month, and first half of January 2023. Sure enjoying this winter so far. Very very dry here, don’t care about lack of snow but need rain come June.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                    5 months of winter left and monsoon season due. Be careful what you wish for.
                    I'd be crucified if I asked for what I want here in the triangle. Have I mentioned It's dry?

My god... nothing from surface to water table level. NOTHING!

Comment

I can’t believe how much more land drys out without snow cover

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                        I can’t believe how much more land drys out without snow cover
                        We call it *freeze drying* here. You have continual freezing/frost overnight that then gets wicked away during the warm windy daylight hours. We have been "net drying" here the last 1.5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

I searched the post I was referencing. It was from October of 21, and he was calling for 8 years of drought. I assume that maybe included 21? So only 5 years left. Just search Macdon It's one of the last posts he made.
                          The post you use to map the future of your farm on. First marketing, now long range drought forecasting .

Have you ever wondered why he's never been heard from since making that post?

Last edited by foragefarmer; Dec 14, 2023, 19:10.

Comment

Originally posted by foragefarmer View Post

The post you use to map the future of your farm on. First marketing, now long range drought forecasting .

Have you ever wondered why he's never been heard from since making that post?

He said he was cashing in and retiring.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

He said he was cashing in and retiring.
                              I believe he also said he'd had enough of this place? I've no idea why...

Comment

Originally posted by helmsdale View Post

I believe he also said he'd had enough of this place? I've no idea why...
                                I'm also wracking my brain trying to think of a reason why someone civil, intelligent and mature who wanted to discuss commodity marketing on a commodity marketing forum would have left in frustration.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...