• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canola

And the canola price keeps going down down down.

Everyone is in shock

Comment

Just spinning our tires after forward motion stopped thinking we will still make it out !
      Everyone is kicking themselves.

Comment

In a office in China there are a group of traders with the hands on buy buttons with coworkers yelling HOLD HOLD STEADY.......... STEADY !!!!!!!!

Comment

Going to be a long winter for many that had below average canola yields unless this market gets some legs at some point .
          Many that banked on crop insurance “guarantee” are realizing there is no guarantee X income in situations like this .
          it’s not 40 -45 bus average at $18
          Most in low 30’s or less at $14-15 with a minor top up . The difference is huge .
          I heard many last spring say canola is a no brainer , you’re guaranteed $800 / ac …… well no, you’re not .
          crop insurance helps , but there are zero guarantees , especially in a falling market with 1/2 a crop .

Comment

The ones that won are the ones that had SFA , but that’s no fun either and lots of those are in year 3 or 4 and that ain’t great for crop ins

Comment

Best money maker on our farm this yr will be faba beans... then malt.. then canola ( and i havent sold much canola and we avgd 60!)
              And yet everyone and their dog always talks about canola canola canola... rents still being gouged out of some young farmers around here. ( i call them hobby farmers as they all work off farm and hemorrhage salary income to the farm) then run around and offer more rent than the neighbour. How does 150$/ ac rent look heading into next yr!

Yikes

10 bushels/ ac going toward rent? Whats the plan for the following year?

A correction is heading our way... and its gonna be painfulll.

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post
                Best money maker on our farm this yr will be faba beans... then malt.. then canola ( and i havent sold much canola and we avgd 60!)
                And yet everyone and their dog always talks about canola canola canola... rents still being gouged out of some young farmers around here. ( i call them hobby farmers as they all work off farm and hemorrhage salary income to the farm) then run around and offer more rent than the neighbour. How does 150$/ ac rent look heading into next yr!

Yikes

10 bushels/ ac going toward rent? Whats the plan for the following year?

A correction is heading our way... and its gonna be painfulll.
                What are realistic numbers for faba beans? Inputs, yields, and prices? Every year I look at the afsc yields, and I don't see how they could be very profitable by the time you consider the seed costs.
                But I would really like to grow them. Their water tolerance could be a very good fit in our climate and soils. A couple of neighbors did try them a number of years ago, but the year ended up very dry and they were very disappointed.
                Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Dec 2, 2023, 16:27.

Comment

They are hit and miss. Grew them for the last 12 years and some years were phenomenal and others a bust. Need above average rainfall from mid June to mid July and u are laughing. Good for soil and easy to harvest but can be frustrating as they do lots of flowering but abort a lot of the pods. 16-20 pods a plants equals a money maker. Less than 10 and she’s El Shitter Ru

Comment

"then malt"
                    Then it RAINED 6/10" and all barley is SHIT! What is the feed worth? SFA, poorest paying crop. Any ideas to market FEED?

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
                      They are hit and miss. Grew them for the last 12 years and some years were phenomenal and others a bust. Need above average rainfall from mid June to mid July and u are laughing. Good for soil and easy to harvest but can be frustrating as they do lots of flowering but abort a lot of the pods. 16-20 pods a plants equals a money maker. Less than 10 and she’s El Shitter Ru
                      Easy to harvest wasn't one of the descriptors that I had heard used by people who did have good crops in central Alberta area. Stayed green forever and we're nearly impossible to get through the combine.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post

Easy to harvest wasn't one of the descriptors that I had heard used by people who did have good crops in central Alberta area. Stayed green forever and we're nearly impossible to get through the combine.
                        Not bad if Regloned

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...