• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$33 return to farmers for every $1 invested in wheat breeding?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$33 return to farmers for every $1 invested in wheat breeding?

Looking though the Grains west magazine I spot this whopper. Does anybody believe that? Variety breeding has made some gains but a lot of the gains have been due to better fertilizer management and inflation which has raised prices. A huge boost in productivity in my lifetime was the introduction of Superb in the 90's, which featured US genetics. My current CWRS variety of choice is Viewfield, which has performed well for me. My buddy seeded the variety Bolles this year and it performed very well for him and if changing varieties I will consider that one for a couple reasons. That variety come from Minnesota. Right now we have variety proliferation but I am not seeing significant advances from seed breeding right now. Having decent weather for a change raised yields by a lot on my farm the past few years. Both drought and flooding are proven yield killers.

Think those figures are geared toward the breeders, seed growers, sales and processors not farmers.

Comment

Meanwhile, back on the farm. According to crop insurance, The highest yielding variety in Alberta, by a wide margin almost every year is 40 years old. Only a few of us that still grow it. One of the growers does a side by side with the latest and greatest every year, then goes back to the 40-year-old variety.

Comment

Same with oats

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
          Meanwhile, back on the farm. According to crop insurance, The highest yielding variety in Alberta, by a wide margin almost every year is 40 years old. Only a few of us that still grow it. One of the growers does a side by side with the latest and greatest every year, then goes back to the 40-year-old variety.
          What variety is that?

Comment

Originally posted by oldjim View Post

What variety is that?
            Oslo wheat.
            Although from what I am told, it is a disaster anywhere East of highway 2

Comment

40 years ago we grew Park.
              Today, Viewfield.
              Viewfield not 40 x better, but I'm not going back.
              $33-$1? Needs to be quantified.
              Pre semi-dwarf genes, you wouldn't use today's groceries.
              ​​​​​Cereals are affected by things like sunlight hours, night temps, elevation.
              What works in one county isn't the same in another.
              Wheat breeding improvements a very slow process. For which we are still arguing a funding model. Some shackles have only been off for 11 years.

Comment

The industry takes way , way too much credit away from farmers improved farming practices.

Comment

When I account for the precipitation…. And productivity… I am astounded at how amazing the crops that were harvested here in 2023…turned out.

All participants have contributed…

Great work every one!

Just Grow Oslo , Park, and Thatcher wheat…see how they actually perform…

I am Very thankful for the advance in new seed varieties. Thx
                  Sincerely.

Blessings!

Comment

Biggest game changer for HRSW IMO was the breeding of semi-dwarf wheats into HRSW, before that we were stuck with varieties that were prone to lodging if we pushed N past 70. Now we’re pushing N over 100 lbs and getting bigger yields and higher protein.

Comment

Year over year who makes more off of increased Fert use, the farmer or Fert companies? Crop failure from Drought, Hail etc, The fert company still gets paid the same and up front.

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                        Year over year who makes more off of increased Fert use, the farmer or Fert companies? Crop failure from Drought, Hail etc, The fert company still gets paid the same and up front.
                        I'm not sure why you are bringing fertilizer use and fertilizer company profits up in a discussion about variety development.
                        But I will respond anyways.
                        I farm in an area where crop failures are highly likely. Being in hail alley in a short season frost prone area, where we nearly always get excess rain, and crops often see snow on both ends of the season; investing in drop inputs when the output is so uncertain.
                        , there's only one input that I have no qualms about maximizing. And that is fertilizer, almost regardless of cost.
                        Unlike genetics, fungicides, seed treatment, snake oils of any type, etc , fertilizer will eventually have an ROI. Even if it's not in the same season, or the crop is salvaged for a different purpose than originally intended.
                        Most of the other inputs are complete loss in event of a crop failure.
                        1 hour Gracie wanted soil, fertilizer is by far vest investment. After less than century of continuous agriculture, we wouldn't be growing anything without fertilizer. Your results may vary.
                        Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Nov 5, 2023, 12:05.

Comment

One of the intriguing things for me regarding our ag industry. Is watching the observation of basic business principles change over the generations.

Comment

If you are using the AFSC numbers on that Oslo wheat performance you also have to look at the number of acres represented by that yield - very small.

The best ROI on wheat yields came about 10 years ago when CWB was finally extinguished. Actually it started even a few years before that when it became known that the CWB was going to disappear.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...