• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Bearish Oil?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Bearish Oil?

With the connection of grain prices and ethanol - not oil linked - I saw this article and wondered what others thought?

Bearish On Oil -- Bearish On Corn Prices

The recent spike in corn prices may soon turn into a slump, says Michael Swanson, Wells Fargo & Co. economist. He expects oil prices to decline by $5-10/barrel during the next 12-18 months and ethanol profitability and expansion along with it.

"To know the ethanol price, you need to know the price of gas," he says. "Right now, wholesale nearby reformulated blend stock gasoline is selling at $1.20-1.30/gal. The blending credit for blending in ethanol is 51¢/gal, so the nearby wholesale ethanol price is selling at $1.71-1.81."

The net margin on $1.70/gal. ethanol is very small with $4/bu. corn, emphasizes Swanson. In fact, it's not sustainable for long. He's cautioning U.S. farmers about switching too many acres to corn in 2007.

"If we switch a lot of acres into corn, the price of soybeans will go up, and if soybean prices go up to $8-9/bu., Brazilian farmers will be planting a lot more soybeans, and Brazilians can add a lot more soybean acres than we can," he says.

Barring any bad weather news in major crop growing areas, however, Swanson says $4/bu. corn won't likely hold for long.

Here's a look back at average U.S. corn prices per month since 1996: www.nass.usda.gov/Charts_and_Maps.

Although there is a gap in USDA corn price data from 1970-1996, the USDA data on average U.S. corn prices from 1910-1970 is extensive. Here it is:
    www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics_by_State.pdf.

Lets see:

-peak oil
    -chindia demand
    -war with iran
    -russia
    -16% gain in the past two weeks
    -fundamental dollar weakness

No i dont think shorting oil would be smart.

In fact put me down for 100 dollar oil by july 31.

Comment

Have a look at the US farm Bill wrt funding for renewable energy in ag and the long term committment. A few bilion in ligno-cellulosic and new technologies in loan guarantee money will keep it going for quite a while yet. LDP money is shifting over to ag energy opportunities and that may not be in the economists calculations (definitely not). Wonder who he really works for?

Comment

CP, Is that Jul 31/07?

Comment

If Georgie decides to smoke Iran...I would think $100/bl oil might be very cheap? Don't think that is completely crazy...Israel will never let those crazy nuts in Iran have a nuclear weapon!
          Iran isn't very far from having it...?

Comment

"Continuation of export contro; would appear highly advisable, because of the part linseed oil plays in reconstruction."Unquote

Comment

CP, What odds do you place that 100 dollar a barrel target at. I guess you feel 100% likelihood since you are giving a firm date. But if you were a bookie would you rate the likelihood at 2 to 1, 5 to 1, 20 to 1 or greater. Anything is possible and the dynamics are there for fireworks, but I would be interested in seeing your betting line. After all, it is Super Bowl weekend.

Comment

Iran Is toast,before summer by the sound of things.
                An interesting fact is that nukes will be used against them.

Comment

And you know this "fact" how... ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                  • Return to Topic List
                  Working...