• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Present for Cowman

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Present for Cowman

I see gas up over 11%.

700$ ton 46-0-0 here we come.

Cowman, just got home, and saw cottonpickin's new thread, so I want to leave you with this before I'm gone again:

We're old birds. Raised the family and we get to watch, and listen to,(and sometimes read!) what we taught.

Young farmer Joseph on:

http://designatedarea.blogspot.com/2007/01/this-promises-to-be-emotional.html

writes the following:

Since so many of the arguments in the debate, including many of my own, appeal to emotion, I think it important to look at the emotional tone in each article. Jeff Nielsen talks about opportunity and cooperation; optimist that he is, he talks about his excitement at being given the chance to market his own barley. Allan Dawson talks about how proponents of market choice are trying the mislead farmers; he tries to inspire fear at the thought of a competitive market.

"In a debate, both sides use disparagement. The CWB debate is no exception. But I have yet to hear an optimistic version of the future that includes a single-desk for the CWB. It is awfully tough to get excited at the prospect of surrendering the marketing of my grain in perpetuity to the single desk."

Joseph's words cause pause.

Parsley

Comment

Parsly how about this version-

No matter what happens with the cwb the price of barley is going up.
      And thats all that really matters.

Why didnt you just start a new thread?

Comment

Sorry cottonpickin,

I thought the thread was for presents for cowman!

Parsley

Comment

Cotten: It sure does seem to be rising fast! Maybe too fast? NG prices seem to be a roller coaster! Not overly happy about fertilizer prices. The current fertilizer was made with some pretty cheap gas? Might be a good year to own some shares in Agrium!
          Parsley: I think one way or the other the CWB needs to change? If this bio fuel thing takes off, the CWB could become almost irrelevant? I think the option of a voluntarry CWB is about the best scenario available for most farmers? Probably the best of both worlds? If the "new" CWB can do a good job they won't become extinct?
          I would hope the majority of producers would not get caught up in the emotion of this thing but would realize that the days of a single desk monopoly are coming to an end...either sooner or later?

Comment

cowman, the cattle/beef/sheep/pigs can have a terrible problem on their hands if the single desk continues.

Parsley

Comment

A little confused here parsley?
              TOM tells me the single desk has been the best thing that ever happened to us cow jockeys from day one? Kept the price of feed barley from soaring out of this world? He seemed to suggest if the CWB was gone...the cattle and hogs would be history in Canada?
              Now I shouldn't pick on TOM...he wasn't alone...he had a few "designor boys" cheering him on!
              Many times I tried to suggest he look at who his buyers were and the reality of the "American situation"...that he pins all his hopes and dreams on!
              I probably shouldn't go on...as I actually like TOM...and think he basically has got it right.
              But please share...how do you think the retaining of the single deak will hinder the beef/hog producer?

Comment

That should be "single desk" not "single deak" although that might be more appropriate! LOL

Comment

cowman

You asked Tom4cwb but I'll have a crack. Objective is to get cattle guys who raise barley involved and voting. The livestock I talk to realize the issues around a more open market in a philosophical sense (at least Albertans) and would support change. The issue is to get them to vote.

The biggest issue I hear from the livestock industry is competitiveness. Access to and cost of feedgrains is a driver. They are watching declining cereal grain acres and are seeing the potential new uses (ethanol).

Everyone has to realize that for farmers to grow more barley, they have to see profit potential. Growing more barley could be more acres. It could spending more time on the malt versus feed variety decision. It could be farming more intensively. Above all else, barley has to be treated as something more than the new technology replacement for summerfallow.

A more open market with a competitive bid from maltsters and opportunities from world feed barley markets will create these opportunities and make feed barley a more viable crop relative to other crops. Improved price signals will mean the livestock farmer will have to be more responsive to price signals themselves but it should result in better use of western futures.

Hopefully I have presented at least some of the case. As I said before, a key challenge in this plebescite will be to engage the livestock who produce barley in the debate and ensure they express their opinion.

Comment

Last paragraph should be livestock producers. Not too many cows or pigs produce barley.

Comment

read carefully cowman,

1. FEED Barley/wheat DA growers can sell to any feedlot in Canada including Alberta. That's off-Board feed grain. Right?

2. Off-board feed grains can't be exported. Only the CWB can export DA FEED Barley/wheat. Right?

3. That's a prohibition of off-board feed grain. Right?

4. That's a violation of NAFTA Article 309. Yes it is.

5. R-CALF is looking for a way, (not to stop grain imports as has been done in the past), but to STOP CATTLE IMPORTS.

6. BEEF IMPORTS, HOG IMPOTS, LAMB IMPORTS, just like dominos, you get the picture, right?

Why would Canadian Cattlemen support the monopoly?

Parsley

Comment

NAFTA question has moved to NEW TOPIC.

Ok CP?

Parsley

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...