• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Land rents?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SaskFarmer,
    Which part of the province are you from? I had assumed it was the SE because of the close proximity to the US border and yields that seem to be much higher than the SW corner.

Where do all the large farms find the help for harvest and seeding? Here in Alberta, labor costs and shortages are going to be the biggest thing limiting expansion of farms. It is easy to seed large tracts of land with 60-80 foot drills, but combines only harvest so much in a day unless you are using custom cutters.
    The price you are talking about for 40 bushel canola ground is unheard of here either for the purchase price or the rental. I do understand the cash flow and equity loss that must have occured in the frost years!

Comment

East of Regina, Black soil zone, Have US relatives and friends. Big Equipment and work like a fool. Bad years of 02 03 04 hurt bad most are sick of situation thats why lower land values. Also last go round of high prices also hurt.

Comment

Over on the rural issues site dalek posted that corn acres in Ontario are being bid up to $300/acre yearly rent!

Comment

20 to just over 30 dollars per acre in my area of Central Sask. Still some crop share deals around of 1/3 or 1/4 with some openness there as am thinking the proper share is not really being paid in some cases. I have decided to continue renting same price for some land that I previously asked for rent reduction. And Am thinking to offer a little more rent to another that was on the low end if he agrees to extend the rent a couple extra years. There was a time here when 40 dollars plus per acre for medium land was the norm. Still the landlords should be considered lucky to have a renter, some are farming simply because no offers. Not that the land is worthless, on the contrary some money can be made if one can get the work done. We did go through a few tuff years here. Wet spring, generally 25 percent of fields unseaded , that is not entire fields but forever turning and finishing up triangles. Then digging ruts up the entire length of fields to get them sprayed. The old IH pick up just did not agree with them ruts come harvest. Also the 6 incher last year made things tuff again. Then the year before we had frost , canola seed was white not black. I am looking forward to this year but I have much well deserved caution if I were faced with having to offer more for rent. The wife would like me to make some money.

Comment

Furrowtickler, I'll take all the $20-25/ac land you can find within 20 miles of Battleford.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...