• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brazil farmland

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brazil farmland

Listened to the farm market report from standard grin yesterday and he was saying that Brazil is going to develop an additional 99 million acres of farmland in the next ten years. That does not bode well for grain prices.

I wouldn't worry to much about that.... Be more worried if the loonie left is still in charge here in 10 years!!!!

Comment

It’s a lot of work and cost making farmland here, I wonder how it compares with down there with much bigger bush and trees and stumps

Comment

Loony left is going to get shelved here soon, turns out mere survival is more important than constant virtue signalling. Left won’t get revived until people get too comfortable again.

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
          It’s a lot of work and cost making farmland here, I wonder how it compares with down there with much bigger bush and trees and stumps
          And much greater need for fertilizer to make it produce in the first place.

And complete lack of infrastructure to get the grain to port.

And no winter and frost to break disease/pest cycles and compaction.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
            And much greater need for fertilizer to make it produce in the first place.

And complete lack of infrastructure to get the grain to port.

And no winter and frost to break disease/pest cycles and compaction.
            Add to that all of the political obstacles. Corruption, squatters, security costs, currency fluctuations, tax burden when ag is the only tax base, the threat of nationalization. No domestic supply of most of the required inputs, high interest rates, no safety nets.

I maintain that our COP can and should be lower than South America. We just choose to bid up land costs instead.

Comment

Add to that all of the political obstacles. Corruption, squatters, security costs, currency fluctuations, tax burden when ag is the only tax base, the threat of nationalization. No domestic supply of most of the required inputs, high interest rates, no safety nets.

I maintain that our COP can and should be lower than South America. We just choose to bid up land costs instead.
              Are you talking about canuckistan or brazil? Oh forgot to add: weather that wants to kill you in the case of canuckistan.

Comment

Don't they get 2 crops a year?

Comment

Exactly! Same as worrying about Russia eating our lunch. I don’t want to get complacent neither but a lot of these expanded acres aren’t exactly prime. Brazil requires a shit ton of potash to grow anything on decent ground let alone anything about to be broke. Cows are getting pushed into the forests as pampas are getting broke for beans and corn. Any expansion in Russia or better description Siberia should really be cow grazing land. It isn’t exactly great farmland with low nutrients let alone short seasons. All factors are at play here.

Comment

I think Brazil has a huge problem with productive land being gobbled up by cane which goes into ethanol production.

Comment

I thought cane was used to make rum, not home brew or ethanol. I thought corn would be more cost effective than cane to make ethanol, anyone know?

Comment

Originally posted by Sodbuster View Post
                        I thought cane was used to make rum, not home brew or ethanol. I thought corn would be more cost effective than cane to make ethanol, anyone know?
                        ultimately you need sugar for yeast to convert to alcohol. wheats and corn have starchs that get converted to sugar by alpha-amylase (a enzyme) sugar cane is already high in sugar... less processing required to get it fermentable.
                        soft wheat < corn < sugar cane is best.
                        plus it grows extrely fast and tall with more "sugar" yeild. downside is as soon as you cut it, the rotting sets in thus extreamly short shelve life like days. Meaning storage is non existent so you have to have the cane feild located extreamly close to the plant site cutting as you need feed stock. Lactic and Acetic acid are the downfalls to yeast production and fermentation and a byproduct of rotting so it is a major problem.
                        Last edited by helmach; Oct 29, 2023, 08:12.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                        • Return to Topic List
                        Working...