• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday.

Good morning early start because sat and sun look wet for us.

Harvest is 60% done for our area, prov will be 82% and bragging about such an early finish.

Our new old fed ag minister is losing it with his claims farmers support his carbon tax. No **** you I don’t.

Crop report.

Peas and lentils all done. Last field I seen this week. Disease is a huge problem.

Flax is mostly done and yields all over the place.

Barley is done and good yields lots making malt in our area rest heavy feed.

Oats guys are just starting.

Wheat and durum is mostly done. Really happy with yields this year. We still have a few to go but the first 2000 acres was my best ever.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1782.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.6 KB
ID:	780536

Canola most are chewing away at it. Plants top dead ripe bottom green and needs a killing frost. Slow going and done once sun sets or a couple hours longer. Wrapping on pea augers etc. yields are good but on our farm it won’t touch last years records.

Name:	IMG_1842.jpg
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	780538

Name:	IMG_1816.jpg
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	780537

Name:	IMG_1843.jpg
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	780539
    Green feed and straw bales are getting rolled. Pastures look good for early fall that arrives Friday i think.

So yes it’s looking like genetics, air drills, direct seeding, smoke all helped us out this year. Crop insurance is smiling.

Have a great rest of the harvest, stay safe and if you’re done congratulations.

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
    lentils all done.
    After this week with India, that statement is more true than ever. Another dude killed in Winnipeg.

Glad I didnt seed any. I would be selling those hand over fist out of the bin right now.
    Last edited by jazz; Sep 21, 2023, 06:38.

Comment

We all seed the best genetic seed, have air drills, and direct seed, but we all didn’t get crop like you.

Takes RAIN!!

Happy you broke records, have a friend who set a new record for himself, canola yielded lower than 2021. He hasn’t had a crop in 3 yrs. Don’t know how most attitudes would be after disasters like he’s had?

Big crops are nice but sometimes we have to think of the guys who bought a new combine 3 yrs ago and haven’t put much through it.

Just saying ..

Comment

Originally posted by BTO780 View Post
        We all seed the best genetic seed, have air drills, and direct seed, but we all didn’t get crop like you.

Takes RAIN!!

Happy you broke records, have a friend who set a new record for himself, canola yielded lower than 2021. He hasn’t had a crop in 3 yrs. Don’t know how most attitudes would be after disasters like he’s had?

Big crops are nice but sometimes we have to think of the guys who bought a new combine 3 yrs ago and haven’t put much through it.

Just saying ..
        Good points.

the first payment is easy, its the next 9 that are the worry.

You don't know yields or crop prices for the next 9 payments.

Comment

Main crop done , and in a scenario where we would have been better off with zero canola than just below coverage level with canola prices plummeting.
          I always get a kick out of those that think they are guaranteed x $ from crop insurance before seeding …. well no you are not .

Had a crop to put through, low areas were good , anything out of the low areas was instantly poor .
          Was a challenge at times because of extreme changes in crop volume within feet .
          But most is dry , good quality, and in bin . Sold some canola and wheat earlier before it fell off a cliff .
          On to field work now starting next week .
          Work low areas , do some spraying and leave the harrows in the yard . Absolutely no need to drag those around, especially after seeing the yield loss on the few fields we did do last fall .
          Will stream on 28 with a stabilizer later when temps cool off . Have some bio Sul to spread .
          Hopefully get some golf and fishing in if it stays nice .

Comment

Just over half done here. 4/10 of rain yesterday, won’t be going again until the weekend.

Barley all done, above average yields.

Wheat, most getting over 2/3 done wheat, some finished. Everyone surprised by yields, most were hoping for average yields and have found yields above average, lower protein as a result.

Canola, just a few guys started on canola, early results better than last year, trending above average.

Peas, long done, yields sound good.

Pastures getting short.

Quick combine question. We have a 8120 and 8230 Case ih combine. Both have Sunnybrook concaves, new in last 2 years extended wear rub bars. 30 foot fd75 on 8120 and 35 foot fd75 on 8230. I drive the 8120, my son the 8230. Regardless of crop I can’t go any faster than my son. It seems to me with the shorter header I should be able to go faster. I have checked the rotor on the 8120 to make sure it is centred but still can’t produce as much grain. Any thoughts?

Comment

Oh grasshoppers you forget the flood years of seeding 160 acres harvest 120 or less for 10 years. Or frost out 2002 and 2004 first few days of august.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
                Just over half done here. 4/10 of rain yesterday, won’t be going again until the weekend.

Wheat, most getting over 2/3 done wheat, some finished. Everyone surprised by yields, most were hoping for average yields and have found yields above average, lower protein as a result.

Canola, just a few guys started on canola, early results better than last year, trending above average.

Pastures getting short.

Quick combine question. We have a 8120 and 8230 Case ih combine. Both have Sunnybrook concaves, new in last 2 years extended wear rub bars. 30 foot fd75 on 8120 and 35 foot fd75 on 8230. I drive the 8120, my son the 8230. Regardless of crop I can’t go any faster than my son. It seems to me with the shorter header I should be able to go faster. I have checked the rotor on the 8120 to make sure it is centred but still can’t produce as much grain. Any thoughts?
                Is there any difference in the fan or shoe in the 8230 ?
                What about HP ? I think they have the same guts but I know once you hit a certain engine load things go backwards fast .

Comment

Off to empty leach traps , then off to finish walleye harvest
                  Have you heard how Tobin has been for fishing SFB?

Comment

Pastures getting short.

Our 9230 is usually a bit under 8120 on yield checks , but it has a small tube rotor that you fight with settings constantly . Do they have same rotors ? Small tube takes way less power, you sure the 8230 doesn’t have that miserable small tube rotor ?

Comment

Pastures getting short.

The 8120 is 360hp and the 8230 is 450hp
                      There are other factors as well rotor tube size, chopper standard or fine, bushels in the hopper is more important than speed.

Comment

I’d take flood years any time filled bins with 100 acre fields !! But one thing is forsure about flood years don’t miss dragging chain and slings!

Comment

Grain broker told me the good areas on the prairies will make up for the poor arears, hence low prices.We also had the huge variables in our crops this year mostly in canola.Go from 35bpa to 5bpa in a matter of feet,very discouraging.

Comment

Originally posted by Robertbarlage View Post
                            I’d take flood years any time filled bins with 100 acre fields !! But one thing is forsure about flood years don’t miss dragging chain and slings!
                            Not me.

Comment

Broker is full of shit our canola average last year this year will be 5 bpa less

We were huge last year

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...