• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Kind of Landlord?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Kind of Landlord?

So I'm posing this to landowners at or nearing retirement. Most of you on here say that you're willing to work with younger and smaller farmers, to give them a chance by renting or selling to them when the time comes.

But will you?

Or will you sell/rent to the BTO that pays top $, or so you can brag at coffee row on how many combines were on your quarter?

The reason I ask, is because as a young(er), smaller farmer, I've seen time and time again that older farmers say one thing, but when the rubber meets the road, money, convenience and flashy, new equipment will almost always tell what really matters most

If I choose to rent it out, it will be to whoever will take care of my land the best. If a young farmer fits that bill then guess he will have a shot. But be damned if I’m gonna give them a huge break to do so. Nut up or shut up.

Comment

Great question. Always a different tune when shoe on other foot.
      For me. I'm giving a young farmer a great opportunity within my succession/estate plan. Different types of share transfers over time etc.
      Rents while alive really depends on my cash flow requirements. Wish I could afford to rent for minimal. Structure can depend on tax requirements.
      20-23% of gross. % of land value. Storage depending. Partial waiver if on ins levels, we'll see at the time. Depending also on if it's the young farmer or a more established one who's already paying upper rents elsewhere.
      Taking care of the land is an old song with little meaning. Striving for the best crop and best return is best for the land. You can tell from the road. Very few of those guys left.
      I have two mottos regarding this, among others.
      "Don't be the guy everyone is waiting on to die"
      "Don't be the guy who has people flipping checks in the casket" (along with the finger).
      And avoid hypocrisy. Spend your career bemoaning the larger farms and instantly renting to said same.
      I've had them all.... Not me.
      I've received a few good turns. Planning to pay it forward.

Comment

Couldn’t agree more

Comment

I dont disagree with a lot of what is said as I also had help getting going. Hailed out 1 yr no insurance and the landlord gave the rent money back,and I never forgot.
          But when some of these young farmers expect special treatment because they have a thing for new or shiney machinery and live high on the hog,and take on more than they can handle I have trouble being sympathetic.Lots with a ag degree can make it work on paper like a damn but put it in the field and the wheels come off.

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
            I dont disagree with a lot of what is said as I also had help getting going. Hailed out 1 yr no insurance and the landlord gave the rent money back,and I never forgot.
            But when some of these young farmers expect special treatment because they have a thing for new or shiney machinery and live high on the hog,and take on more than they can handle I have trouble being sympathetic.Lots with a ag degree can make it work on paper like a damn but put it in the field and the wheels come off.
            Agreed , two sides to every situation. But you simply can’t farm with ole shit anymore
            You can not get parts , even from wreckers
            So like it or not , zero chance of a farming long with older stuff
            Most stuff over 10 -15 years old .. good luck in a few years
            Sucks cause over half our stuff is
            Either they don’t carry parts anymore or it is simply not available… period . That’s a fact
            Last edited by furrowtickler; Aug 19, 2023, 21:59.

Comment

And wreckers have been picked clean the past 3-4 years

Comment

You may be able to get parts , if you wait 2-4 weeks ….. that’s a disaster 95% of the time now

Comment

Had a land lord here sell out to Monnette, lost 700 ac for next year . Never even tried to outbid , simply never worth it for us or anyone local . And none of us are afraid to pay .
                  Good for him , he got 3x more than land worth to locals who some have farmed here for 100 years or more with money .
                  You can’t outbid the monster, or you will go broke

Herein lies the issue , The supper BTO will spend zero locally, support zero locally, get everything 30% cheaper than your local family farmer and walk away. For those who’s farm depended on local communities, wake up or it’s gone what got you to where you’re at today .
                  Each to their own , you get what you paid for .

Comment

If your town doesn't have industry it doesn't take long before big farms start closing local biz ops. Some of are local BTO's are getting to be close to carehome material with no younger gen to take over so new BTO's will be even less local I am thinking.

Comment

Either u deal with Walmart or the local corner store. Hard times bring reality back into the equation but when the Walmart guy has a bank in his corner it’s tough for the corner store to compete. Weather is the great equalizer and if it gets bad long enuf the big guys struggle more than the little guys. Attention to detail in the harder times helps the little guy.

Comment

I will make a pledge to give preferential treatment to any young guy who started farming like I did.

Comment

We have some local BTOs (around 20,000ac) nearby who are still family ran (two brothers, a old man or boys). They are good growers and stewards of the area. We haven’t seen the 50,000 acre farms move in yet but they will come and it won’t be for the better.

The current “new” thing is satellite farms popping up where the main farm is down south somewhere and they are expanding by having a second farm further north to spread out their equipment costs.

Comment

Originally posted by jdg364 View Post
                            We have some local BTOs (around 20,000ac) nearby who are still family ran (two brothers, a old man or boys). They are good growers and stewards of the area. We haven’t seen the 50,000 acre farms move in yet but they will come and it won’t be for the better.

The current “new” thing is satellite farms popping up where the main farm is down south somewhere and they are expanding by having a second farm further north to spread out their equipment costs.
                            Much the same here , several very well run 20,000 family farms . They do there thing , but even they can’t hold off the 300,000 ac monster much longer

Comment

Quite the choice farm half the country and own little of it or farm less and own your dirt but struggle to make payments and feed family. Wonder how many big or small struggle to find middle ground so to sleep at nights ?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...