• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Good morning from sunny then stormy Ontario. Harvest is on winter wheat.

Dry spring then rains came here.

In Ottawa, we have a new Ag minister and BoBoo is gone. Useless is replaced with ok.

Soy in Ontario.

Corn in Ontario.

In other news, Trudeau thinks clearing the deck and kicking out some rats will
    Save his sinking ship.

Rural
    Ontario hates him as much as out West for the most part.

The crop
    Report out west

Hrs/Durum in our area like the heat as it's pushing the crop along. Yes, the high heat took some yield and the massive crop is probably gone but we're close to August it's time for a push this last week helped with that. Heads are filling I will start to do yield estimates next week. Some light patches did show up.

Barley is filling and in a couple of weeks we will
    Swath and 3 to 5 days later harvest for malt.
    Not our largest yield but will be ok. Early excess moisture and Barley doesn't work.

Oats are filling in this heat but not much is seeded in our area.

Lentils and peas are filling and drying down. Harvest will
    Be going in three weeks. Some across the valley probably desiccated some peas already.

Canary is nice and filling, some lodging is happening.

Canola early will be nice since most flowered for almost a month.

Late that missed the rain last week will not be fair as well. Canola needs good rain in July for big yields. Late missed some of these rains.

July total Rain for the farm is 1/2 to over an inch.

Nothing in the last 7 days.

Last night my son sent this it might look like a bread loaf.

Crop aid roots maybe it does work. No sideways one-way to anhydrous. We will use it for three years and see the results.

For fun I sent my son to bid at an auction on this 6030 we were runners he went over what we discussed but stopped when he thought it was too
    High. A collector in the USA bought he thinks.

But we found two more and a Deere Wagner for Sale In Alberta.

Pastures are getting to the point they need rain and most haying operations are done. Maybe some second cuts but rain would have helped with that.

Late-seeded green feed needs some rain to help it out.

If your harvest is in July it's not a big yield.

Crap insurance is based on taking a crop and putting it in the dry areas in the wet year's then when yields only have 7 to 10 big numbers so the average is high helping land prices and equipment sales in those areas. Some have higher long-term than traditional areas because we are based on a 50-year yield for average vs 10. Back in the beginning 20 was good. Throw in two frost years in 02 and 04. They are better than traditional or close. Still big payouts.

But it's good crop insurance is available because it's needed. The new individual change will slowly straighten it out.

Crop that's only green is lentils and durum can survive a bit better canola doesn't like the heat.

Rain maybe next week, I always like one exhibition week in Regina to fill And help end the season.

Good luck all on the rain lotto it's next year country fill the gas tank up time and those that have it's filling season.

Droughts like flood years seem to never end but they eventually Changes.

Have a safe harvest and take care. I'm home next week.

Comment

Better check that deere/wagner hard. I posted a pic on a vintage 4wd facebook group and was told it is a regular wagner just painted green. I don't know enough to see the difference.

Comment

Good if we bid on that one was going tp
        Drive and look at it when I'm back in Saskatchewan.

My two partners in collecting are my sons and they have funds but this year we got quite a few and they are getting lower.

The Ash trees got a disease and are dying on the golf course we went to. Sad some are big.

Ontario dairy barn.

Comment

Here’s my crop report..

Too many big burnt out areas to get much of a decent yield in my local area

And this area considered decent . Looks far better from road than most areas I seen in our south road trip. But not pretty when you really start looking .

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post

For fun I sent my son to bid at an auction on this 6030 we were runners he went over what we discussed but stopped when he thought it was too
            High. A collector in the USA bought he thinks.
            I went to that sale and most of the local people left early to stop a fire in the hills, probably 150 people showed up and it looked pretty grim with all the dry grass and wind but we eventually got it under control.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              Here’s my crop report..

Too many big burnt out areas to get much of a decent yield in my local area

And this area considered decent . Looks far better from road than most areas I seen in our south road trip. But not pretty when you really start looking .
              That'll be a good example of any canola not planted first down here.
              Some farms planted canola first(because it was warm with good weather in the forecast) other farms planted cereals first. Those that planted cereals first, have watched their canola bloom between 9-13 days, then the flowers all fall off, and is done. Timing with the heat and flowering, couldn't have been worst for those plantings.
              Different from the drought areas where the stand is thin,,, you could drive by these late fields at 100kms and think that's a nice stand of canola, problem is when you stop and get out and actually look, there are few to no pods. Flowers cooked off.

Comment

Comment

I just added up, and we are up to about 58% of normal precipitation from March through July. And most of that came in a few days in the last half of June. And it came just in time to save the early crops. While doing some damage from excess water.
                  I certainly can't complain after seeing crops in many areas.
                  As of today, I would say our grain crops have the best potential we've ever had. Canola is late, what it finally started raining, it seemed like it took a while to change gears, and grew massive leaves instead of bolting when it normally would be. I have plants 6 ft tall with hardly any pods on them yet. I hope we have a decent December so they can mature...
                  The early seeded wheat that was looking like a wreck before the rain has recovered in most places.
                  A lot of barley in the area is turning quickly. I don't think I've ever seen that happen this early.
                  No indication of a lack of moisture yet on our land, but I expect the gravel areas to make their presence known soon. After the crops we raised in 21 with almost no in season rain, and what we are seeing this year, apparently our normal rainfall is close to double what we actually need in the clay with a a high water table.
                  Almost all hay was well below average. A lot went up early hoping for a second cut, but I don't think 2 cuts are going to amount to 1 cut on an average year.
                  A lot of pastures not keeping up.

Showers in the forecast almost everyday, but rarely more than a few drops. I'm seeing some barley lodging, so it must be raining somewhere.

Comment

Boom downward go the grain markets nothing has changed dry areas are still
                    Dry wet some are now missing rain and some get it every night.

Comment

At this point in the growing season for western Canada for all crops I will change my 1/3-1/3-1/3 guesstimates from a month ago
                      40% poor
                      40% below average
                      20% average to above average

Not much will change now unless there is an early frost in the good areas, but that’s unlikely at this point .
                      Rains from now on will change very little in yield prospects for the most part .
                      Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 28, 2023, 08:22.

Comment

Heavy rains and soy just flowering should be good for yield in Ontario. Dry start and the corn was hurt but catching up with rain.

Western Canada is not going to
                        Have a good Durum and Canola and barely crop

The rest average to just down

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                          Western Canada is not going to Have a good Durum and Canola and barely crop
                          Last years durum crop graded #3 due to fusarium. Took a sample of what I had left over and magically it now graded a #1.

Hilarious and sad at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                            Last years durum crop graded #3 due to fusarium. Took a sample of what I had left over and magically it now graded a #1.

Hilarious and sad at the same time.
                            Happens every year after harvest with all wheat , come May / June grade magically changes
                            Yup one can contract all kinds of grain ahead of time but 80% of the time you get screwed on grade off combine because you have that contact with them and you have to haul to that location.
                            Canola usually not an issue other than dockage
                            Last edited by furrowtickler; Jul 28, 2023, 10:57.

Comment

Glad the temps are cooler to keep things from burning but 15 degrees at noon yikes.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...