• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest 2023

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest 2023

Harvest started for us in SW Sask yesterday. Fortunate to have something to combine, even though it's less than a week ago. The heat the last 5 days took a tremendous amount of yield. Alot of 1/2 filled lentil pods that are empty now that were used to fill on the main branch.

In other unrelated news, we have bin space for rent if needed.

Nice to see someone out of the gate. Have you harvested much in July before?

Comment

Originally posted by crusher View Post
      Yeeghhh that stinks. Sorry zeeman. Dare i ask how yields are compared to insurance avgs?

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post
        Yeeghhh that stinks. Sorry zeeman. Dare i ask how yields are compared to insurance avgs?
        Watch how you answer, the boys at CI are watching

Comment

Seen several fields being harvested and a few done from Pincher Creek to Swift and north on hiway 4

Unfortunately your right Zeeman , there will be lots of bin space

Comment

Every year these guys post a crop disaster and then proceed to replace their entire line of equipment.

I dont know whats real in this industry anymore.

Comment

There are many large farms in the same position in the SW that have not had much of a crop in 3-4 years but are flipping new machinery yearly and buying land like crazy continuously.
              It is truly intriguing how they are doing it .
              , it makes little sense to most of us average farmers

Comment

I have a neighbour whose canola might make 25 and right across the road canola is wrote off and they are spraying it out . About 2 weeks seeding difference , both same variety ,etc.. The later stuff turned blue then died out. What a crazy year.

Comment

Originally posted by fcr View Post
                  I have a neighbour whose canola might make 25 and right across the road canola is wrote off and they are spraying it out . About 2 weeks seeding difference , both same variety ,etc.. The later stuff turned blue then died out. What a crazy year.
                  Seen a lot of that in my road trip

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
                    There are many large farms in the same position in the SW that have not had much of a crop in 3-4 years but are flipping new machinery yearly and buying land like crazy continuously.
                    It is truly intriguing how they are doing it .
                    , it makes little sense to most of us average farmers
                    Flipping to avoid payments.

Comment

Originally posted by crusher View Post

This is the third time in the last 16 years we've started in July. The other times we had started seeding in April, so it was at least 90 days from seeding until harvest. This year it's 82 days. We started seeding May 4 this year 😳

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                        Flipping to avoid payments.
                        I can see doing that to the equipment, but land?

Comment

I dont recall being done by Halloween in a El Nino year, usually good crops but crappy harvest. Guys struggling here to bale minus 1 bale hay crops. One of my best crops ever, but.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                            I can see doing that to the equipment, but land?
                            Maybe increasing land values create a Ponzi scheme type of deal.

Comment

Originally posted by makar View Post
                              Maybe increasing land values create a Ponzi scheme type of deal.
                              From a family that went through a decade of drought in the Palliser in the 80s. The first few yrs were business as usual, by the 3rd and through the next 5, our horns were pulled in big time to survive that.

IMO, that area and a large swath bordering it could be entering a new dry spell with a switch back to El Nino. I would be looking to make my farm pretty resilient through such a time instead of swapping iron.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...