• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Good morning it’s been a busy week so far in Saskatchewan.

The big rain event was a bust for most, Saskatoon to PA Melfort won and it will take these areas to the top, plus a couple areas got some rain.

Fun fact rain on a drought head or pod now might fill the seed inside but won’t make more bushels or add.

Also one common theme at Ag in Motion that I got, the heat that’s coming will take more than the rain will add in good areas.

If the Sask crop report is everything is great it’s total bullshit.

So did Regina to Saskatoon, will do Regina Yorkton, Canora, Kelvington, Hudson Bay, Tisdale, PA Battleford, then down to Outlook, Elrose, Leader, swift, Moose Jaw, south to then wrap back to Regina.

One nice triangle is Regina, Indian head Balcarres. But the rain event was only a half inch or less.

Crop Report.
    Note. Saskatoon to Regina had some rain and crops had major damage before so will fill what’s there.

Wheat and Durum in our area is still looking good but will up to a half inch rain take it to super bumper for our area, No.
    All fungicides are done and now we wait. Still lots of dew in mornings and high humidity. Filling is happening. Huge heat event will take some yield every day it lasts.

Peas and lentils are filling and some fields in three weeks will be harvested. Pods have good number of seeds but early spring rains did do damage.

Barley did come back from the rain a bit and is filling well most will be turning with the heat coming. Could bake in protein and lighter sample.

Flax is full bloom and looking good.

Canary seed looks like the best crop ever in our area but very few acres.

Oats is fully headed but oats doesn’t like heat so if it’s three weeks it will be an early harvest.

Canola is finishing flowering on stuff that started farm progress show week. A month of flowering. Some later is just bolting and first week of flower and the heat will hurt. Later canola the heat will hurt.

First cut hay is done and extremely good. Second cut will be poor or non existent. Pastures are going backwards as July was not that wet.

Late seeded green feed won’t like the heat that’s coming.

So in a nut shell, Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	780501

1/3 of Sask is good to really good.
    1/3 is hanging on.
    1/3. Is done.

I am not going to sugar coat. The rain event was good at Ag in Motion but general coverage sucked and major heat coming will take yield.

Be safe have a great day and if you’re stressed talk to some one please.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0801.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	16.4 KB
ID:	780500
    Last edited by SASKFARMER; Jul 20, 2023, 05:43.

Name:	IMG_0809.jpg
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	775372

Name:	IMG_0821.jpg
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	775376
    Old

Name:	IMG_0803.jpg
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	775373

New

Name:	IMG_0800.jpg
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	775374

Name:	IMG_0815.jpg
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	775375

Comment

I still don’t think the grain markets are getting how the next ten day heat wave will take the crops.

Name:	IMG_0813.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	775377

Comment

Port strike back on. I think the feds were blowing smoke up our ass that a deal was really getting done.

Comment

Ended up with an inch at the farm here so may end up with some seeds yet. Was starting to look bleak as the soil was just out of gas, lots of blanks on canola, mine anyway and is a terrible patchy crop to begin with from drown outs , will be crop insurance for sure. Peas were browning off on bottom and flowers aborting before this moisture. Wheat was holding on the best as usual but even that could have went backward fast. Noticed barley fields in the area burning up and turning white too, on heavy clay to boot. Still a ways to go until harvest yet.

Comment

So the 1/3 that is “good” will slip with the heat coming to “hanging on”

The 1/3 “hanging on” will fall to the “done” category.

Doesn’t leave much room for error moving forward.

Not sure what category I fall into.

Most will want this year to be “DONE”.

Comment

One guy speaking at Ag in Motion said it’s bad and he did extensive driving around the province.

It’s time for Sask Ag and Food to wake up and do a real crop report and give real data not fluff like last few weeks.

But they will say the rain was welcome which in reality any one who got will agree with but ask a guy who got nothing and he will say it’s ****ed.

My tour begins Friday till Sunday so we’ll see and report back.

Off to Ontario next week for some relaxation and golf.

Comment

All saskag does is drive 3kms outside their office and poof - everything is magical.

Where were the "widespread rains" they spoke about a couple weeks ago?

A widespread rain is something I can sit and watch a couple movies between even better good sleeps.

Saskag has been dropping the ball on their reports for years.

Comment

Can show anyone really good looking crops down just about every backroad. 5-10 ft off the edge the crop is shit. Thats what them there crop reporters are looking at in their prius….

Comment

Originally posted by bucket View Post
                    All saskag does is drive 3kms outside their office and poof - everything is magical.

Where were the "widespread rains" they spoke about a couple weeks ago?

A widespread rain is something I can sit and watch a couple movies between even better good sleeps.

Saskag has been dropping the ball on their reports for years.
                    Sask Ag only reports what the farmers report. They wouldn’t fudge the comments and numbers now would they? I was a reporter years ago and nothing I said got mentioned. Why anyone would do that thankless job is beyond me. Would rather take a macromay course.

Comment

Not sure what it matters what the govt crop report is anyway. Its not like this industry is going to get any disaster funding no matter the reason. Agstab and crop insurance is all we are every going to see. Maybe if your entire RM claims a disaster that might trigger something.

For reference, the feds have dropped almost $50B into Ukraine and EV subsidies. LGBTQ whatever gets more federal funding than ag now.

And you know what, thats fine by me because any program that the feds might dream up would come with heavy regulations anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
                        Can show anyone really good looking crops down just about every backroad. 5-10 ft off the edge the crop is shit. Thats what them there crop reporters are looking at in their prius….
                        I noticed in a lot of areas there was a 10-ft strip along the road ditch which was far better than the rest of the fields. Is that because the topsoil that came off the roads got spread that far back in the day when the roads were first built? And that extra bit of topsoil held enough extra water this year?

Comment

Originally posted by SASKFARMER View Post
                          Off to Ontario next week for some relaxation and golf.
                          Make sure you convert at least one eastern commie while you are there.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                            I noticed in a lot of areas there was a 10-ft strip along the road ditch which was far better than the rest of the fields. Is that because the topsoil that came off the roads got spread that far back in the day when the roads were first built? And that extra bit of topsoil held enough extra water this year?
                            Compaction or lack thereof on field edges is my guess.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                              Packed snow from snow removal during winter?

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...