• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volunteer Canola

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Volunteer Canola

Does volunteer canola affect wheat crop.

We sprayed glyphosate for preburn got what growth we saw, seeded durum and then got like 1.5 inches of rain which started a bunch of volunteer canola with the wheat. Had to wait for the wheat to get big enough to spray it out, by that time some of that canola was pretty big.

Durum crop just doesnt look right after that.

There's a barley field in the neighborhood by a farmer who usually grows the best barley in the country. This spring it was a solid mat of volunteer canola thanks to a hail storm last fall.
    The canola was getting quite large by the time it got sprayed. The barley crop has never looked healthy. Pale, thinner and shorter than usual.
    I assume they were both competing for water when we weren't getting any moisture, and it was very hot. It would have taken up a lot of nutrients by the time they were terminated.
    On a normal year around here when moisture is in excess, I don't think it is much of an issue though.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
      There's a barley field in the neighborhood by a farmer who usually grows the best barley in the country. This spring it was a solid mat of volunteer canola thanks to a hail storm last fall.
      The canola was getting quite large by the time it got sprayed. The barley crop has never looked healthy. Pale, thinner and shorter than usual.
      I assume they were both competing for water when we weren't getting any moisture, and it was very hot. It would have taken up a lot of nutrients by the time they were terminated.
      On a normal year around here when moisture is in excess, I don't think it is much of an issue though.

Grade no. Easy dockage out of wheat. Compete? Yes. Its a big shady plant and can do a really fine job of choking out other crop. How big was the wheat when you sprayed it..? Out of stage and was it all drought stressed/ or water stressed?
      Some new research is actually finding ( quite difficult to discern actually) that certain biotypes of canola are allelopathic. So maybe theres some of that?
      Personally.. ive let volunteer canola go too big because it truly is an easy kill ( tickle of mcpa does the trick) but the cereal never looks the same after...

Comment

High weed pressure in any crop at early stage with limited soil moisture most certainly hinders crop growth and yield potential.
        I have seen it in nearly every crop , even corn 🌽
        Unless there is excellent soil moisture and timely rains after , early weed pressure left too long can take up to 50% yield in some crops if your short moisture over growing season .
        Moisture and nutrients sometimes can’t be replaced from early situations like that .

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          High weed pressure in any crop at early stage with limited soil moisture most certainly hinders crop growth and yield potential.
          I have seen it in nearly every crop , even corn 🌽
          Unless there is excellent soil moisture and timely rains after , early weed pressure left too long can take up to 50% yield in some crops if your short moisture over growing season .
          Moisture and nutrients sometimes can’t be replaced from early situations like that .
          Werent really short of moisture and we even top dressed the crop after spraying with another 30lbs N. Canola wasnt big enough to shade the wheat but there was a mat of it you could see between the rows. By far the worst infestation of volunteer I have seen.

Might have to put Valterra in the fall to make sure.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
            Werent really short of moisture and we even top dressed the crop after spraying with another 30lbs N. Canola wasnt big enough to shade the wheat but there was a mat of it you could see between the rows. By far the worst infestation of volunteer I have seen.

Might have to put Valterra in the fall to make sure.
            Ya never fun when that happens, heavy weed pressure causing all kinds of issues

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
            • Return to Topic List
            Working...