• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the soupiest the feeders have been in a year and I liked it. Got our million dollar rain and everyone including the bovines is breathing easier around here. Can’t believe it’s five inches in five days with so little runoff and not much mud either. The local auction mart was selling 2000+ head the last few weeks and is back to 600 or so like normal today.

These heifers are enjoying the hayfield we turned them into. The grass situation was looking pretty bad but now should improve greatly once the sun pops back out.
    The corn has been looking the best of all our crops till now and should hopefully make enough cow chow for the winter. Our late seeded crops were pretty pathetic but maybe this will perk them up? The neighbours wheat is heading out already and that’s unheard of for our area.

This summer there’s two university students helping us out and it’s greatly appreciated. One is going through to be a vet and the other a beef nutritionist. They love working with the cows and but were skeptical about the miles of fencing we have on the books. After the first day of pulling staples and rolling up old junk wire they both said it went better than they thought. That’s a good sign in my books😎

Hopefully in a week or two I can have the “after” pictures of new fence without the trees. Always a great day to see the progress of pushing posts and stringing wire that should last another generation or two.

Fun times🍀
    Hopefully everyone got or gets a shot of moisture if they require it. This was loooong overdue out here.
    Very fortunate 🍻

Comment

Woodland I have to admit I was curious if it rained in your area. I was surprised I got a text from a friend from up by Manning. Still really dry up there. Just over 3 inches here since it started raining last week. Very thankful, enjoying the rain.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
        Woodland I have to admit I was curious if it rained in your area. I was surprised I got a text from a friend from up by Manning. Still really dry up there. Just over 3 inches here since it started raining last week. Very thankful, enjoying the rain.
        Had not heard dry up north, big area can get ugly fast.

Comment

Originally posted by woodland View Post

This is the soupiest the feeders have been in a year and I liked it. Got our million dollar rain and everyone including the bovines is breathing easier around here. Can’t believe it’s five inches in five days with so little runoff and not much mud either. The local auction mart was selling 2000+ head the last few weeks and is back to 600 or so like normal today.

These heifers are enjoying the hayfield we turned them into. The grass situation was looking pretty bad but now should improve greatly once the sun pops back out.
          The corn has been looking the best of all our crops till now and should hopefully make enough cow chow for the winter. Our late seeded crops were pretty pathetic but maybe this will perk them up? The neighbours wheat is heading out already and that’s unheard of for our area.

This summer there’s two university students helping us out and it’s greatly appreciated. One is going through to be a vet and the other a beef nutritionist. They love working with the cows and but were skeptical about the miles of fencing we have on the books. After the first day of pulling staples and rolling up old junk wire they both said it went better than they thought. That’s a good sign in my books😎

Hopefully in a week or two I can have the “after” pictures of new fence without the trees. Always a great day to see the progress of pushing posts and stringing wire that should last another generation or two.

Fun times🍀
          Hopefully everyone got or gets a shot of moisture if they require it. This was loooong overdue out here.
          Very fortunate 🍻
          Good to see you finally got some meaningful rain. When I toured your area back in April it sure looked grim. Awesome anyway 👍

Comment

Got a much needed rain last night about an inch . The odd hailstone bouncing off the deck guess better make the rounds this morn make sure we didn't get any of that nasty Alberta Hibred Hail you guys raise out west

Comment

Maybe some canola expert can diagnose this. Have a good number of plants with a single brown leaf at th bottom.

Any idea what’s causing this?

Comment

Went and scouted some fields today. Didn’t get to them all, but found cutworm damage on some hills. Not a huge area. Maybe 1-2% of that field. Everything else looked ok. Never had to deal with these guys before. Rest of the canola around the bare patches is 3-5 leaf. I had attributed those bare patches as just being dry and not coming up. Saw them from the road, but always too busy to stop and check.

A guy shouldn’t have to worry about spraying? They can’t take down those bigger plants, can they?

Now I’m worried about another 80 acre field that I never got to tonight. Will go check in the morning. That field was the driest out of them all, and didn’t come up well. Rented it this year. Was not cropped for two years previous and just left to grow wild. Worked it under last fall, and double harrowed this spring and seeded it. Like I said, it was very dry, so just thought it didn’t come up due to that fact.

My question on that for those with experience is, if it is in fact cutworms that decimated the canola on that field, do I have to spray for them before planting greenfeed into it? Or their life cycle for the year is done and it is next years problem? Worried if I just seed oats into it, that I will just be feeding those buggers more!🤣

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                  Maybe some canola expert can diagnose this. Have a good number of plants with a single brown leaf at th bottom.

Is it bolting, or still in foliage stage?

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post

My guess is if you are wet, as I believe you are, is a combination of too much water, and the water leaching the nitrogen down. So the water is likely causing a nitrogen deficiency as well.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
                      My guess is if you are wet, as I believe you are, is a combination of too much water, and the water leaching the nitrogen down. So the water is likely causing a nitrogen deficiency as well.
                      We are wet, there are drowned out patches in the canola but in heavy clay, hard to believe leeching would cause that.

Comment

Update-

The canola on that 80 acre field is just coming up with the recent rains. Disaster averted!

Comment

Good to hear it was just a moisture issue. We once had a train wreck about 4 years ago on our home section, we were late seeding it was a tough spring and no one was checking the homescetion because everyone thought someone else was lol. Anyways one day it hit us the canola is not coming up. At all. So we went and checked and there was nothing left they had even eaten the weeds. We found one large dandelion plant and pulled it out and this is what we found. We reseeded late but the crop made it so kind of a happy ending but not really.

Comment

Originally posted by Grahamp View Post
                            Good to hear it was just a moisture issue. We once had a train wreck about 4 years ago on our home section, we were late seeding it was a tough spring and no one was checking the homescetion because everyone thought someone else was lol. Anyways one day it hit us the canola is not coming up. At all. So we went and checked and there was nothing left they had even eaten the weeds. We found one large dandelion plant and pulled it out and this is what we found. We reseeded late but the crop made it so kind of a happy ending but not really.
                            Yeah they are destructive pests, that is for sure. Kind of happy that they aren’t in that field. The landlord wants it seeded to hay next year. This was supposed to be a clean up year with the canola. Wouldn’t be confident seeding hay into that field if I knew cutworms were in there.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                            • Return to Topic List
                            Working...