• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Alberta Ag minister

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Alberta Ag minister

I really don't think R J Sigurdson is a good choice for Alberta's Ag minister. I mean I think sheet metal mechanics is an important trade but can't see how that is complimentary to Ag. He did grow up on a forty acre hobby farm, however I drive a truck...should I be the president of Ford? Our farm groups and of course farmers themselves will have to watch this man or the left will lobby for regenerative sustainable farming and big business will have him in their pocket and will take over and set us back years. No better than an NDP ag minister.

Not sure any Ministers in provincial or federal govt’s are qualified for their portfolios, but he was at least elected as a UCP and not NDP, so hopefully his thoughts are in line with the rest of us.

Comment

One of the most annoying, and ignorant, things a farmer can do is consider someone not a farmer, or lesser farmer due to:

- the size of their farm
      - what they farm
      - how long they’ve farmed
      Etc.

Some of the biggest farms I know are run by people who don’t get their hands dirty and rely on their employees expertise.

Judge the man on how he does, not because you think small acres and a hobby farm mean there’s no way on Earth he can know much about farming.

Comment

But does he raise ostriches?

Comment

Originally posted by agstar77 View Post
          But does he raise ostriches?
          Seems weird that a Federal Ag Minster that was renown for a get rich quick scheme like raising ostrich will go down in history as making the greatest change ever to advance western Canadian agriculture.

Politicians are at there best when they reduce political oversite.

Slightly Regan like.

Thanks for pointing that out Aggie.

Comment

I’m sure Danielle will turf him if he’s a dud or becomes dictatorial. I don’t think she would stand for that.

Comment

Can't be any worse than our federal ag minister, Boboo. The only bull shit she's been exposed to is what comes out of her leader's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                One of the most annoying, and ignorant, things a farmer can do is consider someone not a farmer, or lesser farmer due to:

- the size of their farm
                - what they farm
                - how long they’ve farmed
                Etc.

Some of the biggest farms I know are run by people who don’t get their hands dirty and rely on their employees expertise.

Judge the man on how he does, not because you think small acres and a hobby farm mean there’s no way on Earth he can know much about farming.
                He was raised on a 40 acre farm, however he is a tradesman, and I stated that there is nothing wrong with being a tradesman but has no other farm experience so it is likely he will get bullied into doing things or set policy that is not good for the industry. We had Nate Horner, he seemed to be doing a good job, why change to someone with no experience. Would you seek medical advice from someone whose father was a doctor...well , actually come to think about it you might get better advice these days.

Comment

MPs and MLAs in this country have no power whatsoever. They are simply placeholders for the delusion of democracy in this country.

Smith will be handling Ag Policy.

Be more concerned that she is purging the holdovers from Kennys days. Thats all that matters for the fight ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by Stormin View Post
                    He was raised on a 40 acre farm, however he is a tradesman, and I stated that there is nothing wrong with being a tradesman but has no other farm experience so it is likely he will get bullied into doing things or set policy that is not good for the industry. We had Nate Horner, he seemed to be doing a good job, why change to someone with no experience. Would you seek medical advice from someone whose father was a doctor...well , actually come to think about it you might get better advice these days.
                    It looks like Nate Horner still has an important role but a different department

Comment

Agricultural representation in Canada is really poor.

Being an Agriculture Minister used to be a real important job.

The last few in Canada have been an embarrassment with no real vision.

Bibeau is an idiot.

Ritz was hardly anything but a one trick ostrich. Was easily swayed and listened to to bad advice. His policies are why we have shortages of labour in agriculture. The incentive is not there to become a farmer.

When you watch Stellantis and VW get a combined 35 billion for white elephant projects and agriculture was idly by , there is a problem.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...