• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rain?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just had an old fashioned dust storm roll through here east of Edmonton. All the farmers that roll everything after seeding with the large drills in order to get it to germinate could remake the dust bowl. The wing sections ride out of the ground on the large frame seeders when it get dry and hard. I put weights on the wings of my small drill after last years experience.

Comment

I'm SE about 90 mi.
      Dry years here for a C shank should really have just a knife opener, maybe a side fert wing or not.
      Years ago I've seen what rolling can do.
      Not good.

Comment

Ajl. Over here now. That was dust moving not dirt. Just spring dust ahead of a wind. Here anyways.
        Can't remember what year but saw a half section in the sky. Once the grains of dirt start to tumble they knock more loose if surface too smooth.
        I've seen germinated peas sitting on top of the ground after a wind. Hot day like today but no cool down, just a hot, bad, day long norwester.
        We do have more straw and more furrow now than then. It's the furrowing that stops the tumble.
        If we're back in that cycle, maybe the young bull will heed my warning about wanton rolling, or discing, or harrowing lol.

Comment

Current 14 day maps definitely show how dry most of Alberta is

Comment

Furrow. Looking more like the western half of Sask and eastern part of Alberta might get some moisture end of the week. Drew says less than forecasts suggest but still something. Hopefully it rings true and models are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              Current 14 day maps definitely show how dry most of Alberta is
              Lot wetter in SE SK after the recent storms. Rep says only 25% seeded in some areas.

Comment

If folks are going to land roll… the straw Managment needs to be very well done… and recreational heavy harrowing (which is very effective in spreading weed seeds and plant diseases) needs to cease and desist ... along with the vertical tillage. If rooted vegetation is retained on the soil surface… all our rolling does is push the rocks in the ground… and firm the seed row while burying the seed deeper.

Been a long time since no germination rain here…

Blessings and Prayers for rain!!!

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                  We do have more straw and more furrow now than then. It's the furrowing that stops the tumble.
                  If we're back in that cycle, maybe the young bull will heed my warning about wanton rolling, or discing, or harrowing lol.
                  I've been working on my dad too, for years. Started telling him all that dust behind the machine is pay dirt blowing away in the wind. Seems to be coming around. Definitely a tradeoff though. Seeded wheat into oat stubble, and sprayed it last night. Some areas will be patchy with the straw piles that the drill left behind. Debating whether we should be looking into another drill to reduce our reliance on harrowing to make it work. currently running a flexicoil on 9" spacing. thinking about a pillar but worried about the maintenance. Seeing more seedhawks in the area, wonder if those would do a better job

Click image for larger version

Name:	straw.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	775119
                  Last edited by Marusko; May 29, 2023, 10:46.

Comment

And there's the problem. Drills need straw management. And we're asking it to break down faster, without tillage.
                    Seriously considering a 7 bar mid harrow here. Case combine the worst. Never ends.... Maybe an SR drill?..

Comment

New knifes on the fine cut straw chopper, each year… some times flip them half way through…35’ width max… width to do a better spreading job… in winds especially…best header possible to properly (200 series MacDon flex header)do straw stubble Managment… on wheat use semi dwarfs… 10” stubble…. When possible make sure that the straw is dry (not tough) when harvesting…

I know… easier said than done…. In a “perfect “ world…

Some years difficult… last couple went well!

A good plan is much better than mediocre planning … Run older combines with plenty of harvest capacity…

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                        If folks are going to land roll… the straw Managment needs to be very well done… and recreational heavy harrowing (which is very effective in spreading weed seeds and plant diseases) needs to cease and desist ... along with the vertical tillage. If rooted vegetation is retained on the soil surface… all our rolling does is push the rocks in the ground… and firm the seed row while burying the seed deeper.

U do realize there are areas that require these tools to get it seeded. How soon we forget the wet years when those applications were a necessity. I have to laugh when vertical tillage or deep tillers are ridiculed on here. There’s years we wouldn’t seed if we didn’t have them. Not all the time but some time.

Comment

Tom when seeding forages with a valmar a roller after harrowing is the only way to get successful catches.

If you don't have a firm seed bed you get a very poor germination, especially with grasses.

We all have different successful seeding and farming methods, West of Edmonton is along way from SE Manitoba.

Tom, as for spreading weed seeds, do you have geese and white tails in your part of the country?

Comment

Talk about a stormy night last night just east of Regina. Kaboom - 1 sweet inch, Thank You Jesus

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                              Talk about a stormy night last night just east of Regina. Kaboom - 1 sweet inch, Thank You Jesus
                              Thank You Jesus...

Cottonpicken ...

Comment

When possible make sure that the straw is dry (not tough) when harvesting…

I know… easier said than done…. In a “perfect “ world…

Some years difficult… last couple went well!
                                Glad to see you include the disclaimers. In 2019, when the only harvesting we were able to do was with green wet straw and grain at off the charts moisture, the straw literally fell out of the back of the straw choppers untouched. Seeding was a challenge, especially since it rained every day in spring of 2020.
                                Last edited by AlbertaFarmer5; Jun 2, 2023, 10:48.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...