• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Farm crisis around the corner?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TSIPP View Post
    Who wants a mutton steak? About 20 years ago I bought a lamb already butchered, it came in a tiny little box and I think I paid 120 bucks for it, I still consider sheep as inedible, making wool is fine but I’m definitely not crazy about eating sheep steak.
    Same
    Hate the smell of it even

Comment

most farmers me included prefer mutton hung for 2 weeks or longer way more flavour each to there own. 1.5yr/2yr perfect

Comment

I love steak , but lamb is awesome !

Comment

You can never go wrong with Shish

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
            I love steak , but lamb is awesome !
            Lamb Chops... just keep them coming.. nothing better

Comment

I was hoping sheepwheat would comment but at least a few on here know someone that can cook lamb.

Comment

Canola down $140 per tonne since I wrote this.....Wheat down $75 per tonne, loans starting to reset from 3% to 8%. Billions and billions leaving Western Canadian economy..... makes me want to stick my finger down my throat! Sad situation developing. Covid hey days long way in the rear view mirror.

Comment

Mutton to me is meant to go through a grinder and used for burgers, shepherds pie or sausages. Lamb prices are still pretty strong in North America. Got a couple hundred on the ground so far

Comment

Time to cut a few holes tighter in the old leather belts, boys and girls!

Anything less than average yield at these prices and I'll be in the red

​​​​​​Hope y'all put some money away when canola was 25/bu

Grain prices go down, rent goes up.... Something is wrong with that picture

I think we'll see prices come back up this year though. Ukraine is exporting a lot of grain right now. That will change.

Comment

In my area I cannot see rents going down. Well positioned operations are paying $6k/ac and it works for them.
                      If they need to they will pay 2.5+% to rent. I want to be out before that changes much.

Comment

Hedge funds shortest they've been in ag commodities in 4 years.... What does that tell you? I'm just a simple farmer but to me, what goes down must come up... Eventually. Can we all hold on till then?

Comment

Agreed blackpowder I think there's enough farmers around here that can afford to coast or lose money for a while to hold land and rent where it's at even if markets don't recover. Wasn't expecting an increase though. There goes my budget for new underwear. Gonna have to keep these holey Calvin Kleins going for another couple years.

Comment

to me I feels like 2020 and 2021 with grain prices and revenues but with 2024 costs. Yes fertilizer is down a bit from the highs of last spring but really has anything else dropped?
                            sure most farmers can coast for a year or 2 but that can turn into a decade or two quickly as evidenced by the 1980s and 1990s even well into the 2000's.

As mentioned several times already better take a long hard look at your costs and cut everything that doesn't making any money (fairy dust and unicorn piss). talk to your local livestock guy for advice! Those guys can make a nickle go a long way.

Don't be scared to pay yourself first and well, because if you don't think you're worth much no one else will either.

Here endeth the Sunday sermon...lol

Comment

Interesting cycles, 2002, 2012, 2022, and somehow folks get lulled into believing a new , much higher price era in farm prices has emerged… amazing how often history repeats itself!

Many Blessings!
                              Cheers

Comment

Talked to a couple of cattle guys this week that sold there cows. They are glad they sold thinking that's the next shit to hit the fan We could be in for a lean spell more wrench pullin and less tire kickin I am afraid.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...