• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiring farm labourers from Mexico

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiring farm labourers from Mexico

Does anybody have experience hiring people from Mexico. I have heard the process is not as complicated as hiring from other countries. A government contact or someone with experience in bringing people up here would be appreciated, thanks.

Do you mean Mexican Mennonites or Mexican nationals? Most farmers around here hire Mexican Mennonites. Most of those are actually Canadian citizens.

They are usually decent enough operators and pretty good mechanics.

The only guy that I know that has hired actual Mexicans is the local bee guy. I think he prefers Ukrainians to the Mexicans. Not as resourceful. Get stumped alot easier.

Comment

Mexican nationals. They are friends from PV area, want to earn some extra money in their off season and i happen to have a few projects that are their expertise. Hoping we can just do the work visa and not have to do the LMA.

Comment

You need an account with Sask and Federal?

Nothing happens quick.

Maybe the bee guy can help you?

The only ones here doing that are beekeepers

Most gave up on it as it just kept getting tougher to do.
        Federal Government has no concept of timeliness.
        Last edited by shtferbrains; Mar 31, 2023, 20:12.

Comment

Im thinking you need to go through the Saskatchewan immigration nomination program ?

Comment

Have a bud who owns a vineyard in penticton area.... has been bringing up same 20 mexicans to pick g****s... for 10 years already. I msgd him and he said it took about 2 yrs before he was able to get anyone up.. but.. that was 12 yrs ago and a conservative govt that was alot tighter ..
            Nowadays? Hes unsure..

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post
              Have a bud who owns a vineyard in penticton area.... has been bringing up same 20 mexicans to pick g****s... for 10 years already. I msgd him and he said it took about 2 yrs before he was able to get anyone up.. but.. that was 12 yrs ago and a conservative govt that was alot tighter ..
              Nowadays? Hes unsure..
              Just head down to Roxham Road, should be able to pick a couple up there...no immigration papers required

Comment

Originally posted by Stormin View Post
                Just head down to Roxham Road, should be able to pick a couple up there...no immigration papers required
                I’m not sure the candidates at Roxham Road would like to work.

Comment

Should also add, would be a short term thing, which would be the same as a bee keepers. We have some experience in hiring international workers and it was a disaster. Better half is not real keen on the large amount of paper work that took again. It would be nice if governments could streamline this. I’ve had three calls in the last few days from people who have heard we are trying to do this and they want employees also. One larger farm said he has hired 7 people over the winter and none have showed up.

Comment

Paper should be handled by the local municipal office.

Even if the province could do the work permits and set the qualification it would be 100x better.

1 sore point among Beekeepers is your living quarters must be inspected by the local heath inspector and meet a long list of industrial qualifications.

Comment

Just pay more money for someone that you can actually communicate with.

Comment

Originally posted by BreadWinner View Post
                        Just pay more money for someone that you can actually communicate with.
                        That's an april fools joke, right LOL.

Comment

tad off topic not mexican but relevant, heaps of south africans who got driven off there farms are in australia great guys great workers.

Comment

I don't know about bringing in workers from Mexico, but have you considered finding out if there are any Ukrainians who have moved to your area recently? In some areas there are dozens of families from Ukraine that have moved to Canada in the past few months. From what I understand, it's easier for the families to stay in the province that they land in. Showing up in Saskatoon or Winnipeg (or whatever city) with one suitcase each and trying to find a job and place to live is quite the adventure for many of them. There are organizations helping them settle and find work, and helping with much of the paperwork involved. It might be a lot faster to hire someone like that when their paperwork seems to be fast tracked, and they're already in the country. Perhaps your Spanish is a lot better than your Ukrainian though, so that might be a factor. Apps for translating can be a huge help, so that doesn't need to be a deal breaker.

It shouldn't take much effort to find the right people to get information. Plus, some of the same people might be helpful in knowing how to bring people from Mexico or elsewhere.

Comment

I am wondering if Canada Manpower still exists. Back a lot of years, I was a job councillor and we would match employees to employers. We were able to find the answers to questions about specific labour requirements and permits.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...