• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

selling grain/grain buyers

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

selling grain/grain buyers

just wondering how many different buyers have you sold to last harvest.

myself 9 soon to be 10.

you guys have such options on a daily basis.

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post
    just wondering how many different buyers have you sold to last harvest.

myself 9 soon to be 10.

you guys have such options on a daily basis.
    Up to this point 6 different buyers..

Comment

I’d have to look to confirm, but I’d say a few hundred probably.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
        I’d have to look to confirm, but I’d say a few hundred probably.
        My apologies, didn’t notice this is for commodity grains. Disregard.

Comment

We have lots of choices but usually deal with a select few. Relationships with the buyer is a major reason. At the end of the day sometimes trying to gain a few cents more per bushel just isn't worth it. Unforeseen issues with grade and dockage, and timelines of payment are big issues. I use grain brokers on occasion but far prefer dealing direct as timeliness of pickup is a further issue to the above ones. I get or have access to commodity pricing for countless buyers but at the end of the day 3 buyers get most of our produce. One outfit is very competitive for deferred delivery contracts but never has good spot delivery opportunities. Another buyer only gets our grain when they are short on a train and has a great short-term bid. They are not nice to deal with most of the time. Always seem to be an issue of some sort where no body else has a problem.

Comment

Think we have 58 registered buyers at my local elevator which is a B class terminal.

At times i thought you lack a little competition seems your ok

Then of course we have electronic market that operates 24/7

Given tonnes at at elevator are known by trade and farmers sold and unsold and grades and segregations and protien average of each. Quite trasperant.

Each farmer can declare his unsold tonnes electronically.

Idiot farmers "oh im not showing trade my unsold tonnes blah blah they dont need to know" err they always know unsold tonnes in total even if they dont know who.

Shipped tonnes known, Shipping slots grade and dates known. 6 months in advance. Often you may see a buyer with a run up in prices 2 weeks before there ship sails means they in a rush to accumulate remaing tonnes.

Reasonably transparent

Only unknown is grain stored on farm.

But again there are electronic offer boards you can list your grain anonamously if you choose with just location and tonnes or you can offer your grain up at a price if not accepted buyers may bid if you choose not to sell farmers call.

Is Oz perfect nope. But ok.

During year again can sell grain foward electronically 24/7 sell in may for dec delivery for intance if you choose right in middle of seeding for intance

Comment

Even the most adament single deskers use the system.

Only the bad ass 1%ers hard core single deskers want the old days back. Probably putin backers haha

Comment

3..Viterra, RP, and Bunge.
                Dealing with all 3 for yrs and trust the grain buyer..
                Usually get a heads up on market premiums before it hits their website..

Comment

A elevator pic. Best day i think this year 22,300 tonne of wheat barley canola and beans.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	774469

Bunkers uprights and some sheds drive over hoppers and stackers or grids in uprights or dump in sheds.

Two sample huts two weighbridges in two weighbridges out electronic on out weigh.

Load shows up on phone within 20 seconds of truck leaving outward weighbridge with grade tonnes and other load details.

Right next to rail 95 kms to port thats a guess?

Comment

Edit about 25 bunkers a 8 to 10 stackers.

I think close to 215,000 tonne delivered to my local elevator.

Trains going out twice a week.

Delivery 7am to 9pm

Some sites go 24 hours on peak days.

Our peak farm lobby groups have a fair say in what goes on at elevators etc involved in planning and logistics. We make our lobby groups work damn hard i tip my lid to them there great and at time dont get much thanks

Comment

The way farmers here go on about how organizations and the gov don’t need to know how much of which grains they have…. I can’t imagine them storing it in communal locations so that it’s all common knowledge 😂

Comment

I believe much more grain is delivered harvest ‘direct ‘ in AU than in Western Canada. Much less % on farm long term storage…. We have winter after harvest (normally) which is cold and lower risk to store grains…. AU is going into summer with hot temps and much higher storage risks…. Very different delivery systems…

The CGC does publish elevator storage levels of grain stocks… % of capacity in elevators…therefore the grain industry can figure out how much grain is still on farm weekly/ monthly….

CWB effects still very obvious…. Delivery over 12 months ….Farmer’s storage was ‘free….’ To the CWB… As was the carry interest cost of storage on farm…

Over 50% of Commisson levies are going in to research…. Matched and leverage government funding… this direct funding like the WGRF was/is direct farmers input into Billions in research.

Cheers

Comment

Wow Mallee there’s sure a difference in transport costs/ distance between here and there for going to port. Currently paying $17/T to move grain about 150km which is usually the minimum for us to reach a crusher or a feedlot.

P.S. Only sold feed barley to one feedlot and sitting on the rest so far. Usually only end up dealing with a couple buyers a year.

Cattle is simple too with one online buyer for heifers, one for steers, and cull cows going to the auction mart and a handful of buyers. The steers last year went to somewhere by Montreal so roughly 3,600 km………….. still blows my mind on the logistics and economics of it.

Great topic👍

Comment

Originally posted by Blaithin View Post
                            The way farmers here go on about how organizations and the gov don’t need to know how much of which grains they have…. I can’t imagine them storing it in communal locations so that it’s all common knowledge 😂
                            Different mindset i dunno.

Anyone who thinks traders end users etc dont know how much grain is out there well if they had two brains one would be lonely......

Trade estimates are usually within about 5 to15 % correct either way some times spot on.

Sattelites imagery vegetation imagery etc etc.

Only thing that throws them out is frost severe heat stress and of course grade is unknown.

Did notice in my travels many canadian farmer "all traders and grain Cos are bastartds" bit different than here

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
                              I believe much more grain is delivered harvest ‘direct ‘ in AU than in Western Canada. Much less % on farm long term storage…. We have winter after harvest (normally) which is cold and lower risk to store grains…. AU is going into summer with hot temps and much higher storage risks…. Very different delivery systems…

The CGC does publish elevator storage levels of grain stocks… % of capacity in elevators…therefore the grain industry can figure out how much grain is still on farm weekly/ monthly….

CWB effects still very obvious…. Delivery over 12 months ….Farmer’s storage was ‘free….’ To the CWB… As was the carry interest cost of storage on farm…

Over 50% of Commisson levies are going in to research…. Matched and leverage government funding… this direct funding like the WGRF was/is direct farmers input into Billions in research.

Cheers
                              yeah tom4 guess 75/80% direct. Myself a spread depending on grade top grade premium 3 levels elevator export select which our elvator is. If lower grade direct to feed mill or feed lots and or stored.

You guys have the tyranny of distance

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...