• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check off redunds on the rise

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Motivation for the solutions folks suggest is valid logical and should not surprise anyone….

Inter generational family farms… with young families available to participate in the farm… will have very different motivation and solutions than farmers over 60 with no real family to continue the farm.

I retire farming…when I die… all in … no regrets!

Been of this family culture and tenacity is required my whole life…. Not changing now…. Obviously.

My Passion and motivation…. Are mine….

Choice and freedom to choose our own destiny… is a human attribute… even if these freedoms are shrinking and at risk of becoming extinct!

Exit taxes are in Germany…. Coming to California…

Government is the worst manager of wealth… hands down…. Indian affairs…. The list of failures is as long as the policy that taxes and spends on societal solutions that are designed to fall before they start…. IE… The new ‘Green Deal’ a waste of $Trillions… where the solutions are worse than the disease!!!!

Blessings and salutations!
    Last edited by TOM4CWB; Jan 26, 2023, 13:24.

Comment

Originally posted by TOM4CWB View Post
      Interesting times…

Letting someone else be responsible for our future….

Hiring suits to fix our farm problems… like repairing a broken drive shaft… what could possibly go wrong! Exactly how much more will that cost???

Interesting discussion… mob violence and intimidation are effective… sadly seldom do constructive solutions result Climate Change and Woke pride.
      Or the government could butt out, and leave us do what we do best. Then we wouldn’t “need” these boards to “represent us”.

Funny, the reason for farmers pulling money is going over these commissions heads, just like farmers telling you directly that they feel they aren’t getting value for their money is going over your head now…why on earth would you listen to the people you represent, right?
      Last edited by flea beetle; Jan 26, 2023, 14:10.

Comment

There is too much cheerleading going on in agriculture politics.

Where was the federal ag committee for the 2021 drought? The potato fiasco got looked at with conservative Barlow leading the charge. The floods in BC got looked at.

Both were compensated.

Drought got 100 percent ignored.

Tom says get involved. I call or write MPs . They say we are dealing with a liberal government. Some excuse.

But no problem for western MPs to head to PEI to watch potatoes go through a snowblower.

Comment

Governments and industry will always be negotiating over something. Often but not always from opposite sides.
          How much negotiating has our current government done? Dictating maybe.
          Certainly we'd still have the board if this current situation existed back then.
          It appears to me that our voices are mixed and muffled. Am I wrong?
          Very very few of our members are even slightly aware or involved. Yet we all pay.
          And to be fair I will study this a little more.
          But consider this. No one has an answer regarding the origin of the CoP. Crickets.
          Are all the delegates ok with paying more than our competitors for emissions driven fert programs? Giving up aginvest or insurance?
          More sunny ways from all sides.
          Prove me wrong, please.

Comment

After spending thousands of hours, the vast majority of them being voluntary with out pay over the past 3 decades… fighting for farmers private property rights, and freedoms to farm… with out government’s interference:

I fail to understand where your evidence is of ‘lack of care and due diligence’ to neglect and ignore cost of production issues, carbon taxes on farmers energy requirements….

allegations of neglect are from what source????

The Alberta MP Conservative Agricultural Critic ; gave a lunch presentation at Crossroads..Crop Conference on Wednesday… the highest government of Canada Agricultural opposition position … pointing out the unfair positions in agricultural policies perpetuated by the Lib/NDP coalition in Ottawa upon our Agricultural communities.

As clearly stated… the rural political power has diminished significantly over the past 50 years… not because we have neglected our opportunities to fight for farmers and our agricultural communities…

Urbanization of Canadian society has diminished our political leverage. Vote by population… democratic power by buying votes of the urban community… with the prosperity of our future generations… the massive increases in government employment of the work force… all diminish rural agricultural influences on the civil service of the various levels of government in Canada.

Apparently I am arguing with myself… again…

bad enough when we try diligently to do the best we can… and are ignored by many in the urban community… worse yet when farmers themselves… buy the lie that the good work done for our rural agricultural communities… didn’t happen in the first place.

Peace, Blessings and Cheers… no good deeds go unpunished.

Comment

Wednesday lunch presentation at Crossroads Crop Conference by John Barlow… fighting for fairness for farmers.

Wonderful he took the time and showed true understanding of our rural agricultural communities.

God Bless 🇨🇦
              Cheers

Comment

I am fully aware of the energies you have spent on behalf of all farmers. Thank you.
                I mean no disrespect to any.
                My neighbor was on a Council for years. I explained my sentiments and he understood them.
                Perhaps the last 8 years have been hard on my ability to see positives.
                Maybe an article in some of those shiny publications on the progress since 2012 or say, since the Libs were elected.
                It's target audience should be those who never go to conferences.
                Of which, they all sound the same over the decades.
                Hopefully it outlines a forceful defense to government. All my biased eyes see is genuflection toward a disdainful potentate.
                Your suggesting status quo adequate as long as we have a Con govt.
                I'm likely wrong but it feels like other industries with fewer members than ours have better advocacy.
                Honestly what pushed me over the edge was the Code of Practice. Confidence lost.
                Every year I read the latest I can on the work done. And then send my refund form in.
                Don't take it personally. Just an apathy due to burn out.

Comment

John Barlow is a journalist no different than Freeland.

Knows as much about farming as Freeland does about finance.

Being blinded by ideology is what's hurting western Canadian agriculture.

Comment

After spending thousands of hours, the vast majority of them being voluntary with out pay over the past 3 decades… fighting for farmers private property rights, and freedoms to farm… with out government’s interference:

I fail to understand where your evidence is of ‘lack of care and due diligence’ to neglect and ignore cost of production issues, carbon taxes on farmers energy requirements….

allegations of neglect are from what source????

The Alberta MP Conservative Agricultural Critic ; gave a lunch presentation at Crossroads..Crop Conference on Wednesday… the highest government of Canada Agricultural opposition position … pointing out the unfair positions in agricultural policies perpetuated by the Lib/NDP coalition in Ottawa upon our Agricultural communities.

As clearly stated… the rural political power has diminished significantly over the past 50 years… not because we have neglected our opportunities to fight for farmers and our agricultural communities…

Urbanization of Canadian society has diminished our political leverage. Vote by population… democratic power by buying votes of the urban community… with the prosperity of our future generations… the massive increases in government employment of the work force… all diminish rural agricultural influences on the civil service of the various levels of government in Canada.

Apparently I am arguing with myself… again…

bad enough when we try diligently to do the best we can… and are ignored by many in the urban community… worse yet when farmers themselves… buy the lie that the good work done for our rural agricultural communities… didn’t happen in the first place.

Peace, Blessings and Cheers… no good deeds go unpunished.
                    The allegations of neglect stem from the lack of any chatter what-so-ever in front of anybody that matters from the commissions, that are funded by farmers might I add, to protect farmers from industry and government overreach. Instead what farmers see is the commissions standing idly by, as more and more rights are stripped, and red tape is added.

Not saying you yourself haven’t tried, but there have been many issues where farmers have heard crickets from the commissions on some very important issues. And those farmers are tired of crickets…so they are voting with their wallets.

One final point. The secretary that answers the phone at alberta wheat/barley is making six figures…Never mind the higher ups. Hardly “voluntary without pay”.
                    Last edited by flea beetle; Jan 26, 2023, 23:17.

Comment

There are people at the AB Wheat/Barley organizations... that are responsible for the Administration of close to $100M per year... they should answer to farmers... yes on the phone... and should be entitled to fair compensation for the responsibilities they hold.

I have been involved in AGM resolutions directly relating to cost of production and fertilizer utilization restrictions... obviously the 2021 drought impacted deliveries and revenues from levy collections... at 6% refund requests... there hasn't been a large increase in refund requests as suggested here.

Blessings! Hope the sun shines and the rains come for a prosperous crop in 2023! We are much stronger working together... than .... not.

Comment

BTW claiming MP John Barlow is no different than Freeland is obviously false. Please apologze.

Comment

Do you know just how much money the Canola Growers of Canada has extended out and paid farmers this crop year?
                          $2.3B.

There had better be professional and very competent people doing this very complex work….

Very sensitive private financial information of tens of thousands of individuals, farmer’s very most private information… in depth analysis of each credit facility… and tracking of tens of thousands of repayment transactions…. All of them private and confidential.

Commission Employment:
                          Compensation paid that I have monitored over the past 30 plus years… has always been appropriate and reasonable… not perfect but when management got out of line the farmers elected…were diligent in fixing the abuse.

Blessings and Cheers

Comment

[QUOTE=TOM4CWB;559025]Do you know just how much money the Canola Growers of Canada has extended out and paid farmers this crop year?
                            $2.3B.

There had better be professional and very competent people doing this very complex work….

Very sensitive private financial information of tens of thousands of individuals, farmer’s very most private information… in depth analysis of each credit facility… and tracking of tens of thousands of repayment transactions…. All of them private

Tracking of transactions-for what end? Where is the producer benefitting? The levy is automatically deducted at elevator/terminal and sent to commission. Maybe I sound resentful but how hard is that?
                            Canaryseed check-off has produced what? Educate me about the benefits coming back to farmers. If you can not answer that question, some one else may be able to.

Comment

BTW claiming MP John Barlow is no different than Freeland is obviously false. Please apologze.
                              A couple of things. Barlow is a garbage ag critic.

Seond CEBA haas been extended to a deadline of 2023 interest free with a grant at the end. A lot of businesses won't pay any back. They already have loan loss provisions for that. There was a grant at the end of 20000.

Farmers went and helped the economy even with a severe drought in 2021. And still continues in 2023.

CCGA didn't even ask for a better program all things considered. Most farmers crop cycle is longer than 12 months.

Tom , you are blinded by ideology and ensuring the history of the mess in agriculture politics for your part is never uncovered. You really are a liberal.

Comment

There is fair compensation, and then there is overpaying them by double what they are worth. Like seriously, six figures to answer the phone? And you think that is appropriate, and reasonable?

You make it sound like it is the canola commission’s money that they are handing out. It is government funds they are simply filing the paperwork on. Not rocket science. Any organization could have been picked to do that. $2.3B divided by $300,000 is 7667 applicants. Not really that many applications to go through when you work it back…although $2.3B does sensationalize it.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...