• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Check your bins

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check your bins

Found a couple bins with bugs. It was binned dry but hot.

We were able to handle it without costing a bunch. But it could have been costly.

These bins are 6 miles from the main yard.
    Last edited by LEP; Jan 8, 2023, 19:42.

Bugs are hopping this year. Seeing them frequently.

Also lots of crusting popping up on all types of grains. Most recently seen some yellow peas that seem to be the victim of crustification 🤮

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
      Found a couple bins with bugs. It was binned dry but hot.

We were able to handle it without costing a bunch. But it could have been costly.

These bins are 6 miles from the main yard.
      How were you able to deal with the bugs, if you don't mind saying?

Comment

Originally posted by Jordy2323 View Post
        How were you able to deal with the bugs, if you don't mind saying?
        You can freeze them to death, below-25c for a few days with an airbin will usually kill them.

Also putting the grain through a vacuvator when it is -25c will also kill them.

Cheers

Cheers
        Last edited by TOM4CWB; Jan 9, 2023, 11:22.

Comment

A vac at any temp usually kills enough.
          Re-binning with Protect-it.
          Initial fill with Protect-it in the top.
          But ya, take out the cone and freeze em. Only ever a problem in non air bins.
          I usually pull the cones of non air bins in Nov/Dec.
          Still, I'm watching a couple as filled hot. Cone came out same temp as went in. 28.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
            A vac at any temp usually kills enough.
            Only takes one moving to cause issues. No such thing as kills enough.

Seen bad infestations take multiple vacs to knock them all the way out.

Have heard the red vacs work better than the blue ones?

Comment

Cleaned any crust and evidence of bugs out the top by pail. Then sucked the top half of the bin off and put it on air. They say they die in 8 weeks at -10, 4 weeks at -15 ,and 1 week at -20.

I will give them lots of time and then borrow my neighbor's vac to load trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                Cleaned any crust and evidence of bugs out the top by pail. Then sucked the top half of the bin off and put it on air. They say they die in 8 weeks at -10, 4 weeks at -15 ,and 1 week at -20.

I will give them lots of time and then borrow my neighbor's vac to load trucks.
                So what type of bin did you have this trouble with?

Comment

Originally posted by Taiga View Post
                  So what type of bin did you have this trouble with?
                  Both were 40 year old westeel 5,000s.

I think it had more to do with two snow storms with 80 khm winds than the type of bin.
                  Last edited by LEP; Jan 9, 2023, 12:53.

Comment

LEP, you dont use Protect-It?

We put 1 box per 1500 bushels or so. Never had a problem.

Just make sure its a bin you will never have to shovel.
                    Last edited by jazz; Jan 9, 2023, 13:14.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                      LEP, you dont use Protect-It?

We put 1 box per 1500 bushels or so. Never had a problem.

Just make sure its a bin you will never have to shovel.
                      Protect it works in warmer weather when the beetles are actively moving.

This is only the second time in 35 years that I have had bugs. The other time a lid blew open on a bin in a landlord's yard, during a March storm and he never mentioned it to me. Had to use phostoxin on that one.

We have 100 bins, so I think the cost is more than I need/ want to spend.

However I will watch the bins alittle closer now.

Comment

Diatomaceous earth available at feed stores for treating calf scours will do the same thing for less money

Comment

The biggest thing for us is to cool the bins down to less than 15C soon after harvest. Then to cool them to below 0C if the conditions warrant it. We generally freeze all our canola to be on the safe side, especially with prices in the high teens.

Comment

Originally posted by redleaf View Post
                            Diatomaceous earth available at feed stores for treating calf scours will do the same thing for less money
                            I second that. Usually spread some on bin floors before filling. Put a handful in every load for preventative.

Comment

Have found malathion dust to be far more effective than protect-it. Treat every load of cereals going into bins of all sizes with heavier concentration at peak of bin and have virtually eliminated any rusty grain or wheat aphid issues. Well worth the expense for the peace of mind it bring

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...