• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DEF, can it work in winter?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DEF, can it work in winter?

Talking to my case ih salesman yesterday. Here is the interesting problem they have been having and what they hope is the solution. Loader tractors have had DEF systems on them for close to 10 years. Def freezes at -11 I believe. So what he told me really surprised me. Out of all the tractors they have sold with Def only 3 are kept in a heated shop and they are the only ones they have trouble with. Remember he wants me to buy a tractor and I keep my tractor in a heated shop. In a heated shop you drive out and the tractor doesn’t open the valve to allow the tractors coolant to circulate through the Def tank. If it is below -11 and you have a long drive to your feed yard they have had issues with the line from the Def tank to the doser freezing and then the tractor starts to derate. Conversely if the tractor is in an unheated shed and plugged in, at below -11 the Def tank freezes. When you start the tractor it senses the frozen tank and circulates coolant through the Def tank. Even though the pump can’t pump the Def the tractor does not derate as the computer every 15 minutes re-evaluates whether the system is functioning yet. So I asked the salesman what happens if it doesn’t thaw out on that particular day? He said you save money on Def fluid. I was astonished. Any similar stories or problems with Def systems on daily use chore tractors?

If it's a Red tractor delete it.
    $1500 no problems..
    Our case dealer strongly suggests to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
      Talking to my case ih salesman yesterday. Here is the interesting problem they have been having and what they hope is the solution. Loader tractors have had DEF systems on them for close to 10 years. Def freezes at -11 I believe. So what he told me really surprised me. Out of all the tractors they have sold with Def only 3 are kept in a heated shop and they are the only ones they have trouble with. Remember he wants me to buy a tractor and I keep my tractor in a heated shop. In a heated shop you drive out and the tractor doesn’t open the valve to allow the tractors coolant to circulate through the Def tank. If it is below -11 and you have a long drive to your feed yard they have had issues with the line from the Def tank to the doser freezing and then the tractor starts to derate. Conversely if the tractor is in an unheated shed and plugged in, at below -11 the Def tank freezes. When you start the tractor it senses the frozen tank and circulates coolant through the Def tank. Even though the pump can’t pump the Def the tractor does not derate as the computer every 15 minutes re-evaluates whether the system is functioning yet. So I asked the salesman what happens if it doesn’t thaw out on that particular day? He said you save money on Def fluid. I was astonished. Any similar stories or problems with Def systems on daily use chore tractors?
      Could be truth to that. Not tractor related but a truck driver I worked with said he was told by a heavy truck mechanic if you want the DEF system to work properly in the winter on the new semis don’t use a winter front as it messes with the temperature sensor for the DEF heater. My only experience is with my ‘13 Duramax had constant DEF freezing issues if -25 or lower, finally gave up deleted it, no regrets.

Comment

My Maxumm 135 stays outside all winter and for least hassel I keep def tank between 1/2 - 3/4 full all the time. A couple of times when it started to derate I put a jug of real warm def in the tank and then it cycled . Seems if voltage or battery is not close to 100 % shit starts to happen. Brother-in-law had pump freeze on his and was going to cost $2500 to fix so he got it "nutted ". My warranty just ended so if I have to much grief same will happen to mine. Meanwhile old 20000 hr boxcar magnum parked beside it starts every morn and doesn't miss a beat !

Comment

Any tractor or truck with def is pretty much junk unless you have heated storage. The costs to fix this stuff is stupid not to mention the emissions to ship and produce the DeF.

Comment

Had a def tank crack on me and leak all the def out in the winter time. Then had 2 more service calls to the combine in one season. Each service call cost more than the delete kit. My def tote pump was $800. Left it on the tote the first winter not thinking. Cracked the pump housing. Still used it but it leaked a lot until one day it let go. So second def pump. Another $800. Combining late one fall, one cold night, cracked it too. No more def on my farm.

Comment

Dixon Ag Performance.
              Deletes every thing.

Comment

Have a chore tractor that stays inside and on real cold days hasn’t given any issues yet but like a few said just delete it and problem solved. Have done all our highway trucks and saves a lot of headaches and DEF costs.

Comment

Hard to believe that they have been putting DEF injection on diesel motors for 10 years and apparently the only solution is to do a DEF delete. Basically you get ++##ed twice, the DEF system increases the cost to purchase the equipment, then you have to pay additional money to have it removed. Does the muffler require any modifications once the system is deleted?

Here is my other thought, the same government bureaucracy that mandated DEF use on Diesel engines is mandating the changes to our electrical generation, the end of ICE passenger vehicles, the severe curtailment of fossil fuels, what could possibly go wrong🤪

Comment

Here is my other thought, the same government bureaucracy that mandated DEF use on Diesel engines is mandating the changes to our electrical generation, the end of ICE passenger vehicles, the severe curtailment of fossil fuels, what could possibly go wrong

Didn't DEF become mandatory in 2008? Then tighten up to include every diesel engine in 2010? That would be under Harper. Not sure what your referring to same government.

Comment

Installing solar panel on side of def tank to keep it warm in January here in sunny Manitoba WINNING !!!! And burning empty def boxes under tractor if it don't start

Comment

Originally posted by wmoebis View Post
                        Here is my other thought, the same government bureaucracy that mandated DEF use on Diesel engines is mandating the changes to our electrical generation, the end of ICE passenger vehicles, the severe curtailment of fossil fuels, what could possibly go wrong

Didn't DEF become mandatory in 2008? Then tighten up to include every diesel engine in 2010? That would be under Harper. Not sure what your referring to same government.
                        Actually I was looking at the larger picture Wmoebis. It would have been the EPA is the U.S.A. that would have mandated the use of DEF. And as far as the “government bureaucracy”, I believe the bureaucracy itself is a more entrenched entity that to some extent works as a separate entity from elected officials. But I certainly agree Stephen Harper was Prime Minister in 2010 but with a minority.

Comment

Conservatives need someone, “ Sharper than Harper”. 😂 Remember he’s the dumb shizenhauzan who gave the reigns to the woke joke. Harper had power 2006-2015.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                          • Return to Topic List
                          Working...