• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bourgualt agronomy

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hamloc View Post
    Looking at Bourgault’s agronomy trials, they use 140 lbs. of actual N applied on wheat. And we wonder why the government wants to lower our nitrogen usage by 30%. I only use 80 lbs. of actual N applied on wheat, I guess I must be a cheapskate.
    All depends on yield goals and economics of your farm. Nothing wrong with using 140 lbs of N if your achieving 90-100 bu/ac yields.

Comment

With 13.5+ protein.
      The N is not gone if you don't use it.

I go back to the 50 to 70# days when you ssed of didn't want too much.
      Missed a lot of opertunity at those rates.

Comment

Originally posted by FarmJunkie View Post
        All depends on yield goals and economics of your farm. Nothing wrong with using 140 lbs of N if your achieving 90-100 bu/ac yields.
        They had 108 lbs residual on their soil sample. So 248 lbs N to grow 90-100 bpa…..

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
          They had 108 lbs residual on their soil sample. So 248 lbs N to grow 90-100 bpa…..
          Sounds right. About 2.5 lbs per bushel. Canolas over 3

Comment

They use 140 N to try and get poor emergence on the dual shank seedhawk. 140N plus 108N residual plus 80-100 N from mineralization or 330-350 total N. Works out to a 130 bpa target which the long term area average is likely half that.

Comes down to its not agronomy, its bourgault agronomy, i.e. find a marketing gimmick.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
              They use 140 N to try and get poor emergence on the dual shank seedhawk. 140N plus 108N residual plus 80-100 N from mineralization or 330-350 total N. Works out to a 130 bpa target which the long term area average is likely half that.

Comes down to its not agronomy, its bourgault agronomy, i.e. find a marketing gimmick.
              I used to have a seedhawk, forgot to turn the N on for a strip one year, could see a significant emergence difference in the canola. Next year I started doing trials and noticed that there was a germ difference in all crops with N in the sideband, canola was the worst followed by the barley and wheat and oats. Unless I was on the ground doing counts it was impossible to pick out by eye in the cereals. I did varying N rates in all of the crops and the rates that affected germ where suprisingly low, approximately 60lbs. My Canola n rates are ussually in the 100-120lb range, wheat 100, barley 80, oats 75. But the big question is, did it affect yield, and the answer is that NO it did not affect the yield significantly, not anymore than a bushel or two, or something that I could say it definetley made a big difference. It did delay maturity though, especially in canola.

I do use a trimax system from Bg, and I put 80% of my N down the MRB's, 15% side band, and a few lbs with the seed as well as some p with the seed. Rest of the p s and K go down the sideband. All that being said the seedhawk is an excellent drill, and I raised some excellent crops with it. The most important part is to get the seed out of the bin and into the ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post

If one tried that in western Sask you would be broke in two years .
                Definitely small area specific garden oasis regions . Where Bourgault does their testing is one of those small regions . St Bruiex has very good soil, risk of frost is relatively low , and rarely gets drought .
                Like any info , good to take bits and pieces that may apply to one’s own region .
                Agree long term ave yields are far lower than that nearly everywhere , and it’s climate related not fertility that dictates yield in most areas , mainly moisture or lack there of in timely fashion .
                Throw in frost , hail and other factors and high yields are a pipe dream for most 8/10 years .
                Retailers dream for fert and fungicides in those small high production areas though .

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguy
                  Best thing we ever did was buy Bourgault !

I remember picking up our first cultivators right from the factory

100 000 acre club

No down time

Now the Freedom drill
                  ummm, actually that was the 1000000 ac club
                  lots of us were there

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                    ummm, actually that was the 1000000 ac club
                    lots of us were there
                    Are you trying to say you put a million acres on your drill/cultivator

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyJeremiah View Post
                      Maybe he’s Monette

Comment

I've always respected Jerry's dedication to making a piece of equipment that he thought might make farmers lives easier and more profitable.
                        Bourgault trained many welders to be entrepreneurs that went on to start their own little enterprise's in that area that makes it one of Canada's most innovative equipment producers.

Comment

Originally posted by JoeyJeremiah View Post
                          Just wondering if anyone was reading this stuff ?

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                            I've always respected Jerry's dedication to making a piece of equipment that he thought might make farmers lives easier and more profitable.
                            Bourgault trained many welders to be entrepreneurs that went on to start their own little enterprise's in that area that makes it one of Canada's most innovative equipment producers.
                            Well said! Good Canadian company!

What we own that's made by Bourgault is built to last!

Comment

we had an air seeder FH36-42 , i think , in the 90's
                              main frame cracked in a couple places
                              they came out one morning with a picker , took air kit off , took main centre frame off , put new centre frame on , had air kit back on and ready to go at supper time . amazing service, no charge , unit was about 5 years old !!!!!
                              something like doepkers , true prairie pride and service

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...