• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oats

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oats

Oats definitely not looking as sexy as they did a year ago.

Hopefully they throw us a bone before seeding gets going.

Comment

Hope no bones get thrown. Demand is finite and easily filled with average acres. $10 is awesome but every Tom dick and harry grows a field and gluts the market for years. Only so many horses and buffalo and oatmeal oat milk users.

Comment

Still got oats on the truck from harvest under contract as bins are full. When are they going? Not looking to market the ones in the bin until the seeders roll as barley will get seeded and that will finally get oat prices moving up. Now there are some wheat offers that are interesting but reluctant to price as the oats need to go.

Comment

Good topic.
          In a non traditional area here.
          Saw oats all over heck.
          Did okay and all gone off combine.
          Guys want to grow it again.
          I'm not so sure.
          Relying on price between now and spring to indicate demand. Our market would be high end use.

Comment

$4.00-$4.25 new crop is not too attractive imo.
            There will be a lot of carry over I think.

Comment

I am in an oat area but not looking like I will be selling most of it before seeding. This might be the first year I haven’t grown oats in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodtime View Post
                I am in an oat area but not looking like I will be selling most of it before seeding. This might be the first year I haven’t grown oats in a long time.
                Will canola or wheat replace those acres?

Comment

Originally posted by LEP View Post
                  Will canola or wheat replace those acres?
                  Same canola and wheat acres as last year, thinking more barley.

Comment

"One of the biggest surprises was the massive jump in oat output. Production increased 86.1 per cent from 2.8MMT last season to 5.2MMT this season on the compounding effects of a 19.2 per cent hike in the harvested area to 1.4 million hectares and a 56.2 per cent increase in yield to 3.5MT/ha. The November report had the crop at 4.7 mmt"

Comment

Currently hauling oats to a feedlot they switched a lot of barley for oats . The one Iam hauling to is taking about 8 super bees a day

Comment

Originally posted by ajl View Post
                        Still got oats on the truck from harvest under contract as bins are full. When are they going? Not looking to market the ones in the bin until the seeders roll as barley will get seeded and that will finally get oat prices moving up. Now there are some wheat offers that are interesting but reluctant to price as the oats need to go.
                        same here , grain cart too

Comment

Originally posted by tubs View Post
                          Currently hauling oats to a feedlot they switched a lot of barley for oats . The one Iam hauling to is taking about 8 super bees a day
                          At least that’s a backstop for oat demand. Provided corn and barley prices stay up. I was told highs for barley are in as corn railed in working out cheaper than $8 barley. For the feeding guys what’s the feed energy value of oats vs barley vs corn vs wheat? Aside from horses and backgrounding rations oats I assume would be an expensive hot ration.

Comment

We hear the corn/barley story every year
                            Getting old

Comment

Originally posted by WiltonRanch View Post
                              At least that’s a backstop for oat demand. Provided corn and barley prices stay up. I was told highs for barley are in as corn railed in working out cheaper than $8 barley. For the feeding guys what’s the feed energy value of oats vs barley vs corn vs wheat? Aside from horses and backgrounding rations oats I assume would be an expensive hot ration.
                              Might make it work with DDG's if price per lb works.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...