• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

marketing

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

marketing

unlike most of you guys on here who's marketing prowess is unparalleled ive missed the boat a little.

forward sold my usual 35%/40% with 10% of top of the market.

but with increased crop yields that percentage is now closer to 20% good problem to have maybe.

but all this unsold grain pouring in and market heading south.

trick always tricky.

why didn't I sell more even 4 weeks ago well easy reply nobody knew quality due to excess rain and still don't to a degree.

be interested in your knowledgabloe comments as always

Mallee,

If you have a futures account, buying put spreads[buy a put .20/bu under the traded price- sell a put .80/bu down to reduce options cost for instance] is a reasonable risk management strategy. If you sell the cash grain... you can buy a call/sell an out of the money call... to capture upward movement.

By doing options spreads, the premiums are often cut in half... but we are getting an opportunity to better the total revenue of that grain.

Can be worth the opportunity cost... and well worth your time investment. Also the put [profit] can be captured by going 'long futures' against it[the put]... at relatively low risk. Futures stops or targets can make buying these options spreads earn good revenue... if the futures is 'range bound' and a number of opportunities present in the last month before the options expiry.

Something to think about!

Blessings and Salutations!

Comment

Seems when you are sure you have made a crop everybody else knows that too. Some guys here have had to buy back contracts 2 years in a row. Very rare but it happened. Hauled out canola last week I sold at 850 a few weeks ago think it will keep bumping that number for the next few months.

Comment

Lock the bins

Comment

Hog barn wheat … $12.00
          Local elevators … $11.32

The elevators should be locking their doors with prices like this. Total embarrassment!!

Don’t sell to the crooks.

Comment

3rd biggest wheat crop in history.

Double the price … big AU, Russian, US spring wheat crops…

Feed /reward the market… when decent prices are being offered … speculate with options.

Wheat is the most profitable crop overall in western Canada….

Positive Basis on feed… livestock are much narrower margins than grain….

When our best customers need product… reasonable suppliers provide what is needed.

Cheers

Comment

Lock the bins is fine strategically as long as price rises.

Struggling to reasons for a rise.

Other issue here is freight.

Shipping slots are “auctioned” finite number if slots and ships.

South Australia canola harvest already surpassed tonnes available for shipping.

Most canola gone from here by may or else runs into northern hemisphere harvest.

High protein wheats dropped almost $100 per tonne in 3 weeks quality concerns all but erased.

Comment

I’m lucky to get 1 hour every second day on combined.

Relegated to what is know in oz as “the bin bitch”

Moving field bins driving chaser bin loading trucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post

How many night hours? Surely it cools down, somewhat. Otherwise you couldn't grow anything.

Comment

some nights all night

some nights cools down 8 c

most welcomed the warmth after last 3 cold wet months

Comment

Originally posted by Landdownunder View Post

I assume your son is running the combine?

I have been working here the last 6 years on training my "apprentice". I am now usually the one handing him the wrench and standing back.

Comment

Yes, role reversal, son the tech needs me the gopher to get, hand him tools etc.

The young guys dare to try harder, are challenged by a difficult situation. I am impressed.

Comment

Very important to get a education or a trade after grade 12.
                          Makes life way easier for those people regardless of what they choose.
                          If back at the farm there is spin offs that help in many situations.
                          Gone are the days of fixing a tractor with a screw driver and pliers.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                            Very important to get a education or a trade after grade 12.
                            Makes life way easier for those people regardless of what they choose.
                            If back at the farm there is spin offs that help in many situations.
                            Gone are the days of fixing a tractor with a screw driver and pliers.
                            Interesting.

We have had gps steering issues on combine.

Claas say topcon issue Topcon say claas issue ongoing.

So lad said stuff this put the electronic wheel gps steering on combine form another tractor to eliiminate claas theory yep same issue. So topcon.

A guy he knoiw at local dealership "not meant to give you this" but was topcon login data etc

Got in there and somehow he solved the issue probably saved $1500 them coming out again and wasting a day and us wasting a day.

To high tech for ole geezers like me 63 vintage

Comment

Ya, the most important tech at the dealership is now the electronics guy.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...