• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lead in aviation gas could be replaced with sustainable aviation fuel.

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lead in aviation gas could be replaced with sustainable aviation fuel.

Thought this deserves its own thread, since it was buried in a resurrected old thread about a completely different topic. Credit to Larry Weber for bringing it to our attention.

Originally posted by LWeber View Post
    eliminate lead exposure, and ensure cleaner air in and around airports;
    Learn something everyday. I did not know that lead was still used in aviation fuel. Or that sustainable aviation fuel can eliminate that lead, the same way it does with ethanol replacing lead and MTBE.

Hard to believe that we have been waging a war on completely harmless CO2( plant food) while still allowing aircraft to pollute the skies with lead whose health consequences are dire and have been known for centuries. There literally is no known safe exposure limit for lead. So we put into an internal combustion engine and disperse it into the atmosphere where its residence time in the broader environment is measured in centuries. Then wonder why we are losing the was on cancer.

So airplanes get a free pass, But fertilizer emissions and cow burps are the problem.

While I question the sustainability and economic feasibility claims of biofuels, this is one argument in favour of biofuels that cannot be refuted.

AF, maybe you havent heard, its now about destroying western racist capitalism. Greta just told us.

There are literally thousands of low hanging fruit type initiatives to tackle any concerns about the environment and they are all ignored. Have been ignored for 30 yrs.

You are trying to employ reason where none exists.

Right now the COP conf has 4000 attendees that flew in on 400 private jets.

Comment

Environmental issues are about wealth transfer and that pretty much explains it.

Comment

I was told by a Commemorative Air Force pilot that the big radial piston engines in the old warbirds had an exemption (US) as they needed the lead. Otherwise they could be grounded. Maybe there's a replacement now, dunno.
        Those engines still in use under certain apps for their torque. Maybe somebody who knows can comment.

Comment

Ok, so google says still lead in all avgas. Piston aircraft.
          Likely not jet fuel.
          222,600 registered users in US.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
            Likely not jet fuel.
            I assume a jet turbine isn't capable of detonation, therefore no need for an anti knock additive.

Here is a short read on the topic and health consequences of lead:

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
              Likely not jet fuel.
              https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/04/18/2022-07598/renewable-fuel-standard-program-canola-oil-pathways-to-renewable-diesel-jet-fuel-naphtha-liquefied

Old again; however, the new RFS for diesel and aviation fuel could change the dynamics of crop pricing and land prices as much as ethanol did from 2005 to 2012.

Its why everyone rushed to Regina to build (better yet - announce - cause I don't think anyone has started with 25% inflation) crush capacity; the dynamics of vegetable oil: domestic use and exporting will change forever in the new RFS for aviation fuel - regardless of the leaded portion (AVGAS LL) which is i think is 20% of the use of jet fuel in the USA.

Comment

Still not sure where the additional canola will come from.

If we were to follow responsible rotation recommendations, then canola acres would need to fall significantly. Unless there is something new in disease resistance or treatment that will make back to back canola more viable.

We don't seem to be winning against club root or flea beetles.

I am on the fringe of grain production, and even here there isn't much good pasture or bush land left that could (or should) be converted to crop land.

To push the boundaries any further would require some adaptation to be more frost tolerant. Or water tolerant or drought tolerant, depending which direction you want to expand.

Climate change doesn't seem to be helping to expand the arable acres.

Fertilizer restrictions, drainage restrictions, regulations, all handicap efforts to increase acres or yield.

Our county still can't approve acreages fast enough, let alone all the full quarters that become horse pasture and atv playgrounds. They are out of production possibly for a long time.

And in spite of the higher oil content in canola vs soybeans, can we really compete in the industrial oil market when there is no oil premium? Takes a lot of expensive fertilizer to grow canola vs soybeans.

Comment

When all those bio plants were announced California and others had mandated levels of biodiesel I think based on some carbon credits monetization.
                  It appears the values of the credits has drifted lower to about 25% of original values.
                  I think the incentive to blend was based on the value of those carbon credits.
                  I'm sure somebody understands it better than me as I don't get the whole carbon credit pitch as it appears to be a ponzi.
                  The guy issuing the paper seems to always want the majority of the profit.
                  Last edited by shtferbrains; Nov 7, 2022, 16:32.

Comment

Avgas ( 100LL ) is able to surpass the rating of Mogas by as much as 15 octane thanks to the addition of this lead additive. The result is a more stable engine less prone to spontaneous and catastrophic failure.

It's a safety thing. Can't have airplanes falling out of the sky crashing into houses. Also, there is no safe alternative yet.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
                      When all those bio plants were announced California and others had mandated levels of biodiesel I think based on some carbon credits monetization.
                      It appears the values of the credits has drifted lower to about 25% of original values.
                      I think the incentive to blend was based on the value of those carbon credits.
                      I'm sure somebody understands it better than me as I don't get the whole carbon credit pitch as it appears to be a ponzi.
                      The guy issuing the paper seems to always want the majority of the profit.
                      Like all WEF ponzu schemes, 20% is somewhat factual... The rest manipulation.

If Carl Schabb 14billion$ deceiver can sweet talk you... He will cash in. The 'Great Reset' is stunningly obvious. Disruption of the civilization... To line the bank accounts of schemers... The cost to humanity irrelevant.
                      Cheers

Comment

The odds on a lot people not being allowed or able to fly are much higher than some scheme to swap out lead content using canola oil.

These elites don’t give a fck how much lead rains down in the plebs.

Comment

This is BS!!!!!

Jet fuel and winter diesel are very similar, operational temperatures are the issue… at 35,000feet it is -30-40 therefore jet fuel is engineered to not gel like winter diesel.
                          Low sulphur diesel means lubricants for internal combustion engines must be used instead of sulphur.

We have small piston aircraft, have not been burning leaded for decades. Car gas has been used in many of these piston engines forever… downside is less hp and slower cruising speed. As 99+% of lead had been removed from the environment already…

This whole discussion is pointless and meaningless!!!

Deception and Stupidity…

Blessings and cheers!

Comment

LL100 is low lead 100 octane, the lead is there to lubricant the valves on the older piston engines, nobody will dare change the recipe. Not a lot of planes need the lead anymore.

Comment

The additive package is available to lubricate valves.

High lead gasoline won’t rot. That is 99% of the reason owners find it inconvenient to switch.

Small gasoline engines that don’t get used much, foul and run poorly on regular gasoline… should be drained and fresh gasoline every 6 months if not being used monthly. The higher the ethanol or biodiesel % the faster the breakdown and stale fuel results

2 years was nothing for diesel without biodiesel added… 6 months on summer fuel with biodiesel blend. Recking injectors and fuel pumps is at risk with stale diesel.

Cheers

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...