• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

More Invigor issues, did anyone else see these symptoms in wet areas?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More Invigor issues, did anyone else see these symptoms in wet areas?

I assumed we had escaped the invigor problems this year. It all came out of the ground and never slowed down, cabbaged looked good until bolting. Then, instead of making flowers and pods, the previously wetish areas turned into deformed purple bushy plants with no pods, and aborted/white flowers.

We had almost a foot ( or more in places) of rain starting early June ending early July. Causing isolated drownouts and many more places that suffered from saturated soil, as is to be expected. These are extreme conditions even for here where being too wet is just normal. As of early July, I had low expectations.

In years past, the Invigor has been by far the best able to survive such conditions and eventually come back and make a good crop. That is what originally sold me on growing mostly Invigor vs RR. This year, the only RR variety we had made a miraculous turn around, under some much worse conditions. Places that looked like nothing had survived as of mid July, never got larger than a 2" tall purple plant sitting underwater, turned out decent with all the heat we got the rest of the year.

Invigor did the opposite. Once it finally warmed up and quit raining, the Invigors gave up. Plants were bolting even through the wet areas and looking very promising. But the flowers/pods aborted. The plants turned purple. They grew really bushy, loads of thin branches, mostly with no pods. Lots of biomass, but almost no viable seeds. They kept flowering very late, but still made no pods. Many areas eventually came back were and outgrew the purple deformed plants and were lush, green and full of flowers in early October while combining ripe crop right beside. But still no pods.

And these aren't places that had standing water, but lower on the side slopes or flatter areas.

The remainder of the crops on higher ground in between these patches, that was never stressed, yielded really well and looked normal.

There were also some isolated patches of high dry land, where later on, the plants turned purple, really tall, really bushy and deformed with no pods. In one case it happened all along the roads. Not sure if this is the same issue or unrelated

L343. L345, and L234. With L345 side by side with both other varieties in 3 much different locations.
    Seemed to be most prominent in the L345, least in the L234. Also had one strip of pioneer LL, side by side, and there was a literal line where the purple plants started where I changed back to the Invigor.

Has anyone else seen this, this year or other years? Or had any other variety do this? This was the first time I grew the L345 or L343. Was very happy with the L340 last year with no rain, but of course it was cancelled and exchanged with L343 after I pre ordered it last fall.

BASF insists it is unrelated to the seed/seed treatment issues. I would rather they told me it was the seed/treatment, even if they won't compensate, so I could be condident that this was a one off, and be confident in using invigor again next year. Because if this is environmental ( hormones due to the stress as I am told), and if it is unique to Invigor, then I'm not sure I can afford to have this happen again.

2018 when it was crazy dry Flucarbazone-Sodium gr2 residual?

Comment

Basf should be tarred and feathered. Every farm thats ever grown invigor should be calling their reps and lacing into them.
      They admitted they had vigour/ seed treatment issues early on but blamed it on " early season stresses". Right. Or on seeding date... basically, something wrong with the farmers practices.
      They now no longer are offering that seed treatment...have increased bag prices across the board and have now increased price of Liberty to right around 15$/ L.

0 compensation for farmers.
      Increased price.
      Admitted their mistake * but not really...*

Ill say this. Anyone whos considering growing invigor next year has group 2 resistance in their brain! ( not really but you get my point)
      I am so angry at these scumbags.

Comment

Who said there is no compensation? Asking for a friend……

Comment

The way you describe the field sounds similar to what we used to see here with severe sulfer deficiency.

What do you use for sulfer product?

Comment

Originally posted by Herc View Post
            Who said there is no compensation? Asking for a friend……
            No compensation in my case. I missed the deadline to make a claim because there were no issues early in the season. And because these later season issues are supposedly not related, at least according to the rep. But when the same symptom shows up in all of my invigor varieties and none of the other varieties, it's hard to claim it's strictly environmental.

Comment

Originally posted by shtferbrains View Post
              The way you describe the field sounds similar to what we used to see here with severe sulfer deficiency.

What do you use for sulfer product?
              It definitely looks like sulfur deficiency. But virtually every other stress to a canola plant exhibits the same purple symptoms.
              I had a small patch last year that really was sulfur deficiency. Virgin canola ground so it probably has rarely if ever had sulfur applied. I didn't empty the last of the cereal blend out of the drill. And on the strip where the cereal blend with very little sulfur where it finally came out, the plants were spindly and purple and yielded very poorly.
              I use 21, off the top of my head, I believe it worked out to 6:1 or 7:1 N to S ratio in the blend.

But with all the rain we had this year leaching is certainly a possibility. I did top dress some n and S on one hilltop which looked very sickly after all the rain and it responded very very positively. But for the most part, our poorly drained ground is not noted for leaching. If the water was capable of soaking in, it wouldn't be drowned out in the first place.
              And I would assume it would be equally as bad in the pioneer Liberty variety and in the Roundup ready variety. Or is the invigor more sensitive to S levels, or less efficient at scavenging for it?

Comment

Originally posted by goalieguy847 View Post
                Basf should be tarred and feathered. Every farm thats ever grown invigor should be calling their reps and lacing into them.
                They admitted they had vigour/ seed treatment issues early on but blamed it on " early season stresses". Right. Or on seeding date... basically, something wrong with the farmers practices.
                They now no longer are offering that seed treatment...have increased bag prices across the board and have now increased price of Liberty to right around 15$/ L.

0 compensation for farmers.
                Increased price.
                Admitted their mistake * but not really...*

Ill say this. Anyone whos considering growing invigor next year has group 2 resistance in their brain! ( not really but you get my point)
                I am so angry at these scumbags.
                Maybe I'm like an abused spouse, but l120 made me so much money over the years, and outperformed everything else under deplorable growing conditions, that I am willing to forgive in the faint hope that they will come up with another variety that performs as well as it did.
                The field averages for the invigor this year were still quite respectable, and from the rumors I'm hearing probably well above the local average. But when 5 or 10% of the field area is closer to zero yield, and it cost just as many expensive inputs to grow, it really hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by helmach View Post
                  2018 when it was crazy dry Flucarbazone-Sodium gr2 residual?
                  That would be Everest, Correct? I don't know the history of two quarters which I just acquired this year, but they were wheat last year, so that is a possibility. The remaining invigor acres are land I have owned for five or more years, and have never been sprayed with everest.
                  The quarter which had the deformed purple plants along the road edges I assume is some type of residual herbicide from brush control in the ditches. It did the same thing in 2018 in invigor canola. But neither the county nor the power companies have any records of spraying being done there.

Comment

Group 2 herbicide residual accumulate at the growing point.
                    You have a short plant that basicly stops growing and just sits there.

Comment

This sounds like a experience I had 11 years ago. I had a field that I thought was going to be my best crop that year. But then it started aborting the pods and just shut down from progressing more. Ended up my poorest canola crop that year. I remembered the year before a very knowledgable agronomist told me there was a chance that that could happen that year.
                      The reason he gave me was that with all the rains we had it moved the salts up in the soil and if the roots hits it that’s what would happen. Can’t remember if it kept blooming until October.

All varieties seem to have a one off. I had a invigor crop once coming nicely until the day I sprayed it. The leaves cupped up and quit growing for 2weeks. When it started growing the plants insanely twisted and twisted around each other. I had shown a crop scientist the plants and he told me the only possible thing to do that was chemical damage. I had new breaking that year the fields were far apart and if it was sprayer residue you would think that the problem would be less after the sixth tank. The area manager for the company that I bought the products off was not good to me so I told him to take me to court if he wants to get paid for the seed and chemical’s used on the crop. Needless to say I did not grow that again.

The very next year I had a round up crop that about 35 to 40% was not round up. The company was very good as they came out in a timely manner and settled a payout for me. They were smart because the crop later did not do very well. This did not deter me from growing round up ready canola but I decided not to grow it anymore because I started growing Round up ready soya beans.

I started growing specialty canola’s. I had good luck with them and they fit it into my rotation.
                      My son started farming and grew nexera this year and another one off happened again. Half the seed did not germinate and a lot of the plants did very poor. The only reason it wasn’t a total disaster was because we seeded it heavier. The reason for that was because we could not get the sprocket to match up our drill and air seeder tank before seeding was over. I was basically told where I picked up the seed it was climate change no one came to look at the field with me as of yet.

I told the apprentice that I would rather have more beans than canola.
                      He has seen the light now unfortunately.

By the way it was a very good year for germination. Some guys never had a chance to harrow their canola in after floating it on and it came good.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                      • Return to Topic List
                      Working...