• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sell barley, or sell a little of each?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sell barley, or sell a little of each?

Looking at selling half the barley and buying fertilizer, as it is looking like we can get $9 picked up. Would you do that or sell a little canola, a little wheat, a little barley, and a little oats?

Never thought I would second guess myself selling $9 barley. But can't help but think if it is $9 now, what will it be in february or march?

Edit to add, there is barley in the fertilizer bins, and in bags. What I would contract would get the bags off the ground before it snows, and allow room for fertilizer to be brought in.
    Last edited by flea beetle; Oct 12, 2022, 23:05.

No one is selling oats
    Lots of $7-8 barley going here

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post
      Looking at selling half the barley and buying fertilizer, as it is looking like we can get $9 picked up. Would you do that or sell a little canola, a little wheat, a little barley, and a little oats?

Never thought I would second guess myself selling $9 barley. But can't help but think if it is $9 now, what will it be in february or march?

Edit to add, there is barley in the fertilizer bins, and in bags. What I would contract would get the bags off the ground before it snows, and allow room for fertilizer to be brought in.
      Well the way i see it is this
      If u sell say 50 k bushels barley @ 9$ ( fantastic price by the way) and open up your fert bin....450 k...
      if u bought urea that would fill.those same bins and the price swing vs spring would easily cover a 2 $/ bushel swing... if it were me i would take out the advance and sit on my grain. Local elevators here just ran a special for both october and december canola @20$. Prices are going up. There arent the big crops out there no matter what your local elevator says. They are all trying to get ahead of the wasde soy crop.report and the lack of corn out there. Dont buy your fert. Just book it and give them.25% down. If they want you to take it tell them to suck an egg and move on. Someone will let u book it with minimal down
      You hold the cards here. Not them.

Comment

Originally posted by flea beetle View Post

Throw a dart at the dart board these days
        About as much as advice as I can give with all the crazy things in the world today going on .
        Who has a clue as to what tomorrow brings now. … pretty much no one on the planet .
        $9 barley sold now compared to $10 in Jan / Feb ? Or $6 or less ?
        Your call but I don’t like running equipment in -30c when some of the highest price in 30 years looking at us right now . But I am at an age where plowing snow and fighting cold ain’t fun anymore
        Each to their own , farmin ain’t easy , I don’t give a @@@@ who thinks , if they do they never done it for very long , or never at all

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
          Throw a dart at the dart board these days
          About as much as advice as I can give with all the crazy things in the world today going on .
          Who has a clue as to what tomorrow brings now. … pretty much no one on the planet .
          $9 barley sold now compared to $10 in Jan / Feb ? Or $6 or less ?
          Your call but I don’t like running equipment in -30c when some of the highest price in 30 years looking at us right now . But I am at an age where plowing snow and fighting cold ain’t fun anymore
          Each to their own , farmin ain’t easy , I don’t give a @@@@ who thinks , if they do they never done it for very long , or never at all

Comment

My $15 wheat target didn’t hit … now it goes to $16, and so on from there. Screw them!!!
            Everyone PLEASE do the same.

Funny how we were told last yr fert and whatever else was sky high due to high commodity prices …. Well???

Comment

my philosophy be it right or wrong is when I buy fert I replace it with a cash sale, usually 1.5 time the dollar value because that roughly resembles the cost of getting it in the ground. Burnt in 08, bought 1150 phos, and didn't resell grain into that same market. Spring came, 500 phos and 8 dollar canola. painful to offset 1150 phos with 8 dollar new crop canola. New crop fert should be paid with new crop pricing. THANKS to the wheat board being gone, we have the opportunity to price any of the commodities we grow, not just canola!

the ballgame is changing a bit, recession, interest rates, war, inflation, deflation??, N manufacturers short of gas, low water on Rhine, and Mississippi, rail issues. Maybe time to look for singles and doubles, instead of the fence!

Comment

$9.00 malt at viterra wadena.
                Today only.
                Train coming..need malt.
                They added 75 cents a bushel..
                Seems the best way to get a few pennies more..
                Need more empty trains for all grains.
                No more malt trains till new yr.
                Who knows about price then?

Comment

Most farmers are finished harvest and have managed their inventories to minimize the need to sell. Many are going into the "lock the bin" mode and bids are coming up on a few commodities. Wouldn't surprise me if bids tapered off from now until the new year, look what's happening to wheat futures. Lots of pluses for you to sell some barley and buy fertilizer. If you think fertilizer price might come down, it's only because the whole complex is sliding.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                    Today only.
                    Train coming..need malt.
                    until theres another train 2 weeks from now

Comment

Lock the bins till spring then start marketing your inventory along with purchasing your fertilizer at the same time.

Should work out.

Comment

Originally posted by caseih View Post
                        until theres another train 2 weeks from now
                        Who knows?
                        All bly went malt in this area.
                        Unusual..
                        In contrast.
                        RP wadena at 7.80.
                        Last edited by Partners; Oct 13, 2022, 08:51.

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
                          Today only.
                          Train coming..need malt.
                          Malt marketing sure must have changed over the years. Used to be that you had to sign a malt contract with the grain company before they would even look at your barley for selection. Then if they accepted it you had to haul when they wanted. You might get to deliver right away 6 - 8 months or never.

Comment

Half the barley pays for your fertilizer? Leaves you with the other half and all the other crops still?

Forgive me, but are you jesting in good fun?

Yes, sell half your barley.

Comment

Originally posted by crusher View Post
                              Most farmers are finished harvest and have managed their inventories to minimize the need to sell. Many are going into the "lock the bin" mode and bids are coming up on a few commodities. Wouldn't surprise me if bids tapered off from now until the new year, look what's happening to wheat futures. Lots of pluses for you to sell some barley and buy fertilizer. If you think fertilizer price might come down, it's only because the whole complex is sliding.
                              Yes I agree. Was going to unload a bit of wheat, but looking like potential for a rally is pretty good on wheat. Barley sale or an advance looks more tempting.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...