• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Friday Crop Report on a Thursday!

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some of the ones that have a lot of the OK crop here will be chewing away for some time yet.

Lots finishing up now too.

Forecast -5 here for Thursday morning.
    That will speed up any of the stuff that the desiccation is slow on.

Comment

Rose valley to kelvington
      50% canola out yet..
      No combines out yesterday so must be acres off the main roads to..

Comment

Lots here too , nipawin, carrot, Codette, armley

Comment

Our BTO says 30,000 acres left. Our neighbours’ lentils, one small field 30 other 1/2 section coloured rusty brown and some areas zero, rest not much better. 👎 No big lentils around here.

Comment

We went for a drive through Lake Lenore to Melfort and Watson. Fair bit of canola left also,few swathed but mostly standing.

Comment

Originally posted by furrowtickler View Post
              We finished working low areas that we could not seed on time today

Sometimes a make work project but after last fall and what we had to deal with, just glad weather is still holding out .

Rented a K Line speedtiller for a few days
              Was very impressed
              Sorry sheepwheat, ducks and geese don’t pay my tax’s , hopefully that will be seeded in spring like the areas that could seed oats too. Crops pay my bills and raise my kids … not Ducks Unlimited.
              I think you grossly misunderstand me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sheepwheat View Post
                I think you grossly misunderstand me.
                No , not at all , just pokin fun at the fact that not all acres should be left untouched if somewhat wet at seeding time . I get the whole not knocking bush down and natural wetlands , we do do much , but seasonal potholes need attention and they are very productive land for the most part is all . You have laughed at those who do extra work , I get that in your area but here it can be something that helps put kids through university since there are no freebies work most of us .
                I totally respect the complete way you run your farm and sheep business, i think it’s awesome 👍
                But get tired of the whacks a bit trying to do the best at what we do outside your area … grow crops on every single available acre we can . It’s no different than the huge extra effort you and your family do with the sheep business and I absolutely commend you on your extra efforts

Comment

It is sopping wet out here this morning. A fine mist came in last night and harvest today is likely a write-off.

Comment

No , not at all , just pokin fun at the fact that not all acres should be left untouched if somewhat wet at seeding time . I get the whole not knocking bush down and natural wetlands , we do do much , but seasonal potholes need attention and they are very productive land for the most part is all . You have laughed at those who do extra work , I get that in your area but here it can be something that helps put kids through university since there are no freebies work most of us .
                    I totally respect the complete way you run your farm and sheep business, i think it’s awesome 👍
                    But get tired of the whacks a bit trying to do the best at what we do outside your area … grow crops on every single available acre we can . It’s no different than the huge extra effort you and your family do with the sheep business and I absolutely commend you on your extra efforts
                    What you are doing there is what I have done and will always do. Cleaning up historically seeded acres that normally can be seeded, or with a bit extra work, can be seeded. That’s where the misunderstanding of me comes in. In a bit here I will be doing the same. Getting land back into production that has been in production historically.

The thing that makes me shake my head and chuckle a bit is when guys try to drain 40 acre lakes and fail, because;

there is a water table and aquifer that needs recharging.
                    when the water body was four feet deep into fall historically, it will take a miracle to drain.
                    It is saline anyway, so what on earth is the point? More acres that aren’t productive?
                    In dry years, I believe that the added humidity because of ponds and lakes are what set this area apart from others in a “drought year”. I’ve mentioned many times how humid it is here. How much cooler it is here. The only thing I can think of is water bodies and bush that has a moderating effect. When it’s wet, it sucks here. When it’s dry though, the area really shines. Thankfully it’s been drier the last few years.

So thank you for your kind words of our farm, furrow. My apologies though that I come across as some kind of green peacer. I simply think our ancestors for the most part knew what they were doing, and why they left that bush here, this bush there. Didn’t drain every pond because they tried and failed in the long term.

Heading out in a day or two to do what you’re doing. Recovering land that should be seeded next year. For my bottom line, and for the simple fact that going around something that is delaying seeding, or is ready to seed a week after the rest of the field is done, is a royal pain!

Comment

Originally posted by sumdumguy View Post
                      It is sopping wet out here this morning. A fine mist came in last night and harvest today is likely a write-off.
                      It may as well have rained a half inch, hey? Ahhh, October harvest.

Comment

Currently working potholes ourself.
                        Also contemplating a water cannon for those same come spring. Just for the run off so it's not saturated at seeding.
                        What gives me a headache every fall are the 80 year old landlords who want sloughs disced because they farmed them in the 80s or 90s. A prolonged dry period I don't want to see again.
                        If it has large cattails I'd rather stay out as it is a waste of time unless you can actually drain it somewhere.
                        Getting told to burn diesel in a spot you get stuck in all the time or is full of water gets old lol.
                        There is a difference between the various "potholes"/sloughs, and I don't like fighting Ma Nature.

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                          Currently working potholes ourself.
                          Also contemplating a water cannon for those same come spring. Just for the run off so it's not saturated at seeding.
                          What gives me a headache every fall are the 80 year old landlords who want sloughs disced because they farmed them in the 80s or 90s. A prolonged dry period I don't want to see again.
                          If it has large cattails I'd rather stay out as it is a waste of time unless you can actually drain it somewhere.
                          Getting told to burn diesel in a spot you get stuck in all the time or is full of water gets old lol.
                          There is a difference between the various "potholes"/sloughs, and I don't like fighting Ma Nature.
                          Yes the cost of fuel and depreciation is also a huge factor now as well

Comment

Yes the cost of fuel and depreciation is also a huge factor now as well
                            What depreciation?…..

Comment

oh its still depreciating
                              dollar is worth 1/2 what it was , unless you're gonna quit , i guess?

Comment

Forgot about the old boys who want you to mow the cattails every fall so thry don't catch snow.
                                Denominator there is they've never once paid depreciation lol.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...