• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Crop Share vs Cash Rent

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RR good answer, we did similar, never been big, but still able to play, time will tell. Common question to me, how long you farming? I say one year/day at a time. We both have No loose ends, wills, incorporated, retirement funds, taxes all planned. Sons can play "farmer" if they wish.

Advise everyone to plan, time flies... Turd drooling to waste your legacy!

Others in 20 mile radius quit/rent or sell with ONE phone call.

Comment

Only one quarter, but there was a land sale in SW Sask at $4750/ac...

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
        Only one quarter, but there was a land sale in SW Sask at $4750/ac...
        Southwest saskatchewan, as in the heart of the Palliser triangle? The area that has just endured back-to-back droughts?

I'm beginning to suspect either myself or else Errol doesn't understand the definition of deflation.

Comment

We're in the Garden of Eden within the Palliser Triangle and had average crops in our little area. Others 20+ miles away weren't so fortunate. I had thought it would go around $4000/ac, not close to $5000

Comment

Originally posted by red rider View Post
            We are actually thinking of renting some out and keep farming with close by home land. Due more to our age than world circumstances. We always have had local young people in mind for some of our land parcels. At one time , we would have been large farmers for the area. Actually still are. While we were in process of trying to figure out a price to rent some of our farther away stuff , one of our landlords came to us and said they feel their land is woth X. It was more then we were thinking of asking for comparitable land. So we dropped it. It is closer in proximity to home than some of our owned land. If they can get what they are asking, we will probably rent some out. But all our inputs are bought in July too. and most are delivered
            Our get up and go, has got up and went. Trying to figure out tax implications now.
            Although our getting old and arthritic situation is a different can of worms than most people are thinking about.
            Much the same situation here

Comment

Back in the days of summerfallow, or in places where it is still performed, how is rent paid? Is the renter still pay for rent on the years when it is in summer fallow?

What about during the extreme wet years, when land ended up underwater sometimes for years at a time, did those acres get removed from the total acres that rent was paid on?

Comment

In 2010 large farm never paid any rent to landlords because of to wet to seed.

Comment

Others in 20 mile radius quit/rent or sell with ONE phone call.[/QUOTE]

probably every farmer in the province could rent out with one phone call. I know we could but I also know some young specific guys that we would like to help out. also we are thinking more like a farmer. We know some parts of our parcels of land isn't worth top dollar so we are planning on just instead of $/ acre doing $/ parcel. trying to average the good parts of sections with the bad and possibly some of these guys won't be so stretched with time and can make more acres. Not worried about being at the top end of the scale but hopefully sustainable for both parties.we lived through the 80's and had bankers phoning us to take on more land. and had lots of friends that went broke. investors just hear X/acre- usually always the highest- and go from there.
                  We still love farming and growing a crop but there are some aspects of dealing with people that are getting on our nerves . becoming a "get off my lawn " old bugger. and its getting not worth it any more.

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaFarmer5 View Post
                    Back in the days of summerfallow, or in places where it is still performed, how is rent paid? Is the renter still pay for rent on the years when it is in summer fallow?

What about during the extreme wet years, when land ended up underwater sometimes for years at a time, did those acres get removed from the total acres that rent was paid on?
                    Crop share.

No rent paid on summerfallow

Comment

Just informed today. Some of my 2024 rents will be adjusted to $140/ac.
                      To reflect "current" prices. Bahaha.

Comment

I enjoy farming but wow for $140/ac I would just collect the rent.

Comment

Area avg somewhat less on long term, but this is a relative concerned for my welfare bahaha.🤣🤣

Comment

Maybe some landlords need to go back farming
                            I think reality would set in very fast with todays costs . Grain prices are down over 40% from July, and dropping still .

Comment

Originally posted by blackpowder View Post
                              Area avg somewhat less on long term, but this is a relative concerned for my welfare bahaha.🤣🤣
                              my rental raise was a relative as well
                              and when our neighbor , who we suggested she rent to, came over to make sure we were not interested in renewing, said the price he was given was $10 / acre less than what we were told.
                              what is the saying?...." it's not you, it's me"

Comment

Originally posted by red rider View Post
                                my rental raise was a relative as well
                                and when our neighbor , who we suggested she rent to, came over to make sure we were not interested in renewing, said the price he was given was $10 / acre less than what we were told.
                                what is the saying?...." it's not you, it's me"

You have a good neighbor. A lot of guys would have jumped at it amd spent the next week checking with your other landlords to try for more.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                                • Return to Topic List
                                Working...