• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Harvest SW Sask ?

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harvest SW Sask ?

Lentils , peas and early Durum must be coming off . Anyone hear yields ?
    Combines will be going later this week south and east of here later this week in the dry areas

We heard a rumour that some Eston Lentils were coming off near Briercrest at close to 1700 lb. Early bird here tried some desiccated ones and quit, not fit, ours are 2 weeks away (what’s left after flooding). Our friends at Lemberg got 2-21/2 inches others around Balcarres got 2-31/2 inches. Wrong time of year for that much rain for sure, but worse yet the damaging wind and hail in central Sask. So discouraging after last years drought.

Comment

Low as 1 bus/ac in lentils. Alot are disappointed as crops looked better than they're yielding. Grasshoppers are taking their share. Lots of 10-15 bus lentils, 15-25 bus peas. We had barley that missed the rains that did 20. Got into some HRS yesterday that looks like it'll do 40.

Comment

Originally posted by zeefarmer View Post
        Low as 1 bus/ac in lentils. Alot are disappointed as crops looked better than they're yielding. Grasshoppers are taking their share. Lots of 10-15 bus lentils, 15-25 bus peas. We had barley that missed the rains that did 20. Got into some HRS yesterday that looks like it'll do 40.
        In laws are south of Acadia Valley, AB. Heavy Gumbo soil. No rain 3 years running. Combines roaring around everywhere on peas, durum, and lentils. Highest peas ive heard was 17, majority in the mid to high single digits. Lentils much the same. Durum is mostly empty as well.

Comment

Good morning all.

Harvest is over half done for our outfit . Yields are allover the place , better than last year , but not much better. Finished durum on pea stubble last night and the best I did was 16 bpa low of 12 , triticale was the best so far with an avg yield of 28 bpa. Peas , terrible again with a yield of 10 bpa.

Starting on summerfallow durum today or tomorrow. Sure hope it's better. At least my fields are not so polluted with weeds this year.

Crop insurance coverage and premiums are going to be brutal next year I fear. For the ones that are getting some great yields , don't complain about too much moisture , because that is what carries us through. Sorry for bitching but I hope we get a wet fall , because grasshoppers down here are terrible !

Comment

Originally posted by GALAXIE500 View Post
            Good morning all.

Harvest is over half done for our outfit . Yields are allover the place , better than last year , but not much better. Finished durum on pea stubble last night and the best I did was 16 bpa low of 12 , triticale was the best so far with an avg yield of 28 bpa. Peas , terrible again with a yield of 10 bpa.

Starting on summerfallow durum today or tomorrow. Sure hope it's better. At least my fields are not so polluted with weeds this year.

Crop insurance coverage and premiums are going to be brutal next year I fear. For the ones that are getting some great yields , don't complain about too much moisture , because that is what carries us through. Sorry for bitching but I hope we get a wet fall , because grasshoppers down here are terrible !
            Your not bitching at all , just telling it like it is .
            For many it has been several tough years , an area east of here much the same . Your right crop insurance premiums will be very expensive for the hardest hit areas next year . Many can’t comprehend that . It’s a cycle that chokes farmers in the long drought conditions.
            Hopefully the cycle breaks next year for SW Sask

Comment

Good morning all.

i sure feel for you galaxie
              went through a lotta wet years here , seems we couldn't win
              hope it improves soon for you, relentless bugs on a dry year is a bitch on top of the yield loss

Comment

Good morning all.

All I can say is that doesn’t sound like much fun and yes we need rain for our pastures and to recharge the subsoil. Very dry here now.

Comment

Guess I better quit complaining about the rain on this plain. Darnit, it’s fun complaining but truth be known we are looking at the first year in three that we’ve got more than our share of rain.

Comment

In this area it will vary tremendously
                    South of the river yields will / have suffered
                    East of the Battlefords to Maymont yields will drop , east of Maymont up to Richard and south yields will be dismal , some areas only at 2-3 inches all year
                    This area will be average for the most part , some really good , some disappointing depends on the rain lottery and timing of crop during the 15-17 day dry spell at a critical time .
                    Starting just 6 miles north of the Battlefords yields will be very decent into the Meota area with some huge crops in that band east and west , those areas never did run out of moisture
                    No major hail in this area as of yet
                    The hiway 3 corridor and Meadow Lake will be not great due to excessive moisture all year . Huge flooded out areas .

Will vary tremendously going from dry , to decent , to very good to poor in 30-40 miles south to north

Some will have their best year in a decade and some their worst with very dry conditions and huge expenses , all within a 50 mile radius here
                    Last edited by furrowtickler; Aug 16, 2022, 11:31.

Comment

Good morning all. !
                      No lentils out your way Galaxie, those are the secret weapon for the Palliser.

Comment

Originally posted by jazz View Post
                        Lentils and grasshoppers may not be a good combo.

Comment

Lentils no good in many areas in southwest either , that’s how dry it is .

Comment

This is not the year of the lowly lentil🥲

Comment

Talked to a few lentil guys in my area . 10-15 bpa.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
                              • Return to Topic List
                              Working...