• You will need to login or register before you can post a message. If you already have an Agriville account login by clicking the login icon on the top right corner of the page. If you are a new user you will need to Register.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fungicide on malt barley

Collapse
X
Collapse

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fungicide on malt barley

Looking for ideas on fungicide for malt barley.

Variety is Synergy and the clay soil is damp, with nightly sprinkles. Forecast is for a week of 16-22C weather. Bottom leaves are showing disease and the flag leaf is emerged.

I normally get June rains and cool weather and then it turns hot and dry in July, so fungicides are seldom used here. The last time that I used fungicide on my barley it was at the flag leaf emerged stage, but it really flattened the crop where the sprayer drove and took forever at harvest time waiting for those late sprayer tracks to ripen.

All crop is straight cut here.

Would waiting for barley heads to emerge and then spray fungicide still give yield protection and reduce the regrowth in the sprayer tracks? I am thinking that it is probably the later tillers that are regrowing.

Because it is normally hot and dry in July here, not much fungicide gets sprayed ever. Will the older cheaper versions of the fungicides still work effectively being the plants have not been sprayed to develop resistance or do the disease spores blow in from 1000's of miles away from areas with resistance to fungicide and I need to apply the expensive products to get any control?

Originally posted by poorboy View Post
    Looking for ideas on fungicide for malt barley.

Variety is Synergy and the clay soil is damp, with nightly sprinkles. Forecast is for a week of 16-22C weather. Bottom leaves are showing disease and the flag leaf is emerged.

I normally get June rains and cool weather and then it turns hot and dry in July, so fungicides are seldom used here. The last time that I used fungicide on my barley it was at the flag leaf emerged stage, but it really flattened the crop where the sprayer drove and took forever at harvest time waiting for those late sprayer tracks to ripen.

All crop is straight cut here.

Would waiting for barley heads to emerge and then spray fungicide still give yield protection and reduce the regrowth in the sprayer tracks? I am thinking that it is probably the later tillers that are regrowing.

Because it is normally hot and dry in July here, not much fungicide gets sprayed ever. Will the older cheaper versions of the fungicides still work effectively being the plants have not been sprayed to develop resistance or do the disease spores blow in from 1000's of miles away from areas with resistance to fungicide and I need to apply the expensive products to get any control?
    On barley I like to use a generic Tebuconazole product like Orius from Adama. Should be less than $6 an acre. A little wider spray window as it can be applied after head emergence.

Comment

We use 1/2 rate of pivot at chem time..
      Leaves look great..no sign of anything yet..

Comment

Originally posted by Partners View Post
        We use 1/2 rate of pivot at chem time..
        Leaves look great..no sign of anything yet..
        Wishing now that I did that. At the time of spraying in crop, I had only a little bit of rain and zero subsoil moisture, was certain of a repeat total crop failure.

Here I am 1 month later asking about fungicide. Just shows the unpredictability of the weather.

Comment

In the past fungicide at flag leaf on barley was the norm for us. In the more recent past, as others said a tebuconazole, is the norm at early heading. Usually we dont have a leaf disease problem but are concerned about Vomi. We seem to have pretty good success with this. We have tried higher end products but the cheaper generic works. Cost a little higher than last year but under $7.

Comment

• Reply to this Thread
          • Return to Topic List
          Working...